Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I LOVE the curriculum at this school. I wanted this to be the school where all my kids start and finish. There is a high bar for academics and discipline both in the classroom and on campus. While this is a positive in most cases, it can be oppressive in the hands of young, inexperienced teachers. And there are quite a few of those. The teacher turnover rate is HIGH. Many teachers and parents are happy until there is an issue that they need to address with the administration. And then things get bad. Mr Gillingham is a charismatic and charming man. But don't be fooled by his charm. He is no leader and can't make decisions. Eventually this trickles down to the classroom and children in the form of bad or absent policy. Day-to-day my kids are getting a great education. Overall the leadership and administration for the school stinks. I have gone to the parent organization (Great Hearts) numerous times with no results. I would pull my kids to go somewhere else but truly, no other school has this curriculum. The only viable alternative if I want this caliber of education is to homeschool and while I have done that in the past, I don't see that being as effective in educating my children as where they are now. It is a frustrating experience as a parent to have a world class education available but the school is being run by incompetent "leaders".

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

There are bullys and then there are children who need to get some serious help. There aren't resources at this school for serious help and families who have issues with kids who are bullys aren't taken seriously.

Supports LD students: Disagree

I have one child on an IEP and another being tested for a possible IEP. It takes SO LONG (like more than one school year) to get all the pieces in place because of the high turnover of staff and the incompetence of the administrators. They are not in compliance in some areas in providing support.

Develops character: Agree

The school teaches values but doesn't always put them into practice in the way they handle parents' complaints or suggestions.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

There are FABULOUS teachers at this school. I wish we could just take all the great teachers and get new administrators.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Too much homework. The school day is long and exhausting. My kids do not have time to play once they get home from school.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Students are given too much homework. There is not enough time for other things.

Best teachers and great liberal arts education.

This is a public charter school that includes language arts (FRENCH) in the curriculum. The art and music classes are taught by professionals in industry. It is a true liberal arts education where children read classical literature and are also educated on virtues of the heart. I like that my child's school environment promotes secular ethics- educating and encouraging children on what it means to be a good friend, good citizen, and a good person. They teach children How to think, NOT what to think. Overall State test scores reflect that this is a superb school. In addition they offer an array of after school clubs such as: Engineering, Chess, French, Garden, Art, Music, World cultures (Passport) clubs. Overall we are satisfied with our experience at this school and highly recommend it to our friends.

This school is a wonderful environment for children who desire to learn. This school doesn't just teach mindless drivel, it's a liberal arts education based on a vast pool of knowledge that the public schools refuses to consider. My children only read classics for credits. The children sit as a class and discuss what authors are attempting to convey with imagery. My child is doing math far and above where we were only last year. This school is nothing less than fantastic. The headmaster has been open and genuinely cares about his students and the parents always making sure that we are in the loop and working with us to make changes! He's always listened to our ideas and insights and more than once I have seen the school implement discussion items from his coffee talks!

Last modified Archway Arete is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.