San Tan Learning Center

Charter | PK-8 | 540 students

We are best known for keeping each child at their cutting edge.

Living in Gilbert

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $159,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,230.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 25, 2013

Thank you for your interest in our schools. We are proud of the environment that has been created where each child is kept at their cutting edge of learning. The great state of Arizona allows families to choose a school environment that fits best with their needs. While parent reviews can give you a good snapshot of how a family is feeling at a given moment in time, we ask that if you have a question regarding any of our award winning programs please contact us for a personal tour at 480-222-0811.

Posted December 4, 2012

The special education department is the best! My child was struggling in school and was quickly identified. The testing was done in a timely manner and now my child is getting the help she needs. The special education and classroom teacher work together, there are weekly emails on my daughters progress, and San Tan tests all students quarterly so toy know where your child stands. The special education teacher has a child of her own with a disability so she understands what I am going through. I finally have hope for my daughter.

Posted December 4, 2012

We love STLC! Small class sizes, certified teachers, hands on curriculum, PE everyday, and a nurturing learning environment make San Tan the best! Administration has listened to parent concerns regarding half days and changed the calendar in the middle of the year, what school or school district would do that ? Teachers are held accountable for their test scores and are put through an evaluation process. Last year there were 2 teachers who weren't "cutting it" and the administration dismissed them rather than keep them the rest of the year, that's huge. In the public school terrible teachers are allowed to finish the year. San Tan is the best!

Posted December 3, 2012

My granddaughter attends this school and I am so thrilled that her parents enrolled her there. She has thrived and grown so much socially and academically, I am amazed at what she is doing in class. The teachers and adminsitration are all so friendly; you can see that they all truly are there for the kids. I loved the grandparents lunch they had, it really helped me feel included in her educational journey. We plan on keeping her here for the long haul. Thank you STLC for all you do.

Posted November 29, 2012

The teachers are very supportive and caring. They have gone above and beyond to ensure my boys are learning the cirriculum. The principal leads by example. Leadership handles all conflicts with great expertise and quickly.

Posted November 28, 2012

We love this school for our children. They receive a high academic education while being treated as an individual. Each teacher knows each student on a personal level, rather than just another body in the classroom. The principal greets each child by name in the morning, which shows me that every adult truly cares at this school. I am so happy to have my children here and could not imagine them in any other educational environment. I definitely recommend this school.

Posted November 14, 2012

My family and I have been involved with this school for many years now and can't think of another school to have our daughters attend. The level of individual attention that is given here is incredible; this is not only academic attention, but social and emotional attention. The teachers, staff and administration really work hard to learn about each student individually to connect with each student. My daughter is thriving and enjoys going to school each day. I recommend this school to any family who is looking for an environment that supports students grow in their own unique and individaul ways.

Posted October 24, 2012

My son entered San Tan's kindergarten at the age of 4 years, 7 months. He was extremely eager to be in "real" school so we allowed him to attend San Tan. We found out quickly that there is a GOOD reason why public schools want you to wait until your child is at least five years old to start school. Developmentally, children are just not able to handle solid academic work until that age. So our son ended up competing with children who were up to two years older in his same grade. The second real negative is that San Tan teaches first grade curriculum to kindergartners and second grade curriculum to first graders and all the way up, they are one grade ahead. Now he is in public school and is getting all the early concepts he missed at San Tan. All I ask is--why is this technique of skipping kindergarten allowed and not revealed to parents BEFORE they put their very young children in San Tan? We were expecting an age-appropriate, normal progression of academic work which he most definitely could have handled. I say skipping kindergarten is an attempt to have San Tan look better on tests by requiring the parents to take up the slack in learning caused by this lack of readiness.

Posted October 20, 2012

To keep it short and to the point, they have some outstanding teachers, if you're lucky enough for your child to be appointed one. We also dis-enrolled our child due to issues that were minor and rectifiable had the teacher and principal cared enough to work cooperatively with us rather than ignore our pleas to talk with us. However minute issues compound and become large ones. The 1/2 days and closures are ridiculous as other parents state but those were not the deciding factors, those issued helped ease the decision making process. We are now at Kyrene Del Cielo which is the highest rated school in the district and among the highest in the state. I once agonized over the thought of leaving STLC but now I see how much my opportunity my kids would have missed out on had we decided to stay. Kyrene offers a Self Contained Gifted Program as well which offers an even wider, more rounded curriculum. Whats shameful is we were once the schools biggest advocates, we believed in them, and had quite a vested interest in their success. We'd planned on being at STLC through thick and thin despite those horrible half days and closures which turned our worlds upside down.

Posted September 24, 2012

This is our 2nd year at STLC and we couldn't be happier. Both of our kids have amazing teachers and are continuously being academically challenged. My kids are constantly being challenged and taken to the next level. If you are looking for a school to meet your child's individual learning needs - this is it.

Posted July 19, 2012

I have been working at San Tan for a few years now, and I cannot think of a better place to work. My fellow staff members are so supportive and it really feels like a team. The administration is wonderful! They truly care about the families and staff. Love and Logic is a wonderful tool we use here at San Tan. Building relationships with the kiddos is so crucial. I think it is great that the students have daily P.E. and music every week. San Tan not only provides a safe learning environment for the students, but for the teachers as well.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 7, 2012

San Tan Learning Center is a wonderful school in Gilbert which is engaged among the business community and it's leaders. San Tan Learning Center was nominated among it's peers here at the Gilbert Chamber as an Employer of Choice in our 2012 Annual Awards. I have been able to experience first hand the passion and dedication of the staff in teaching a quality education that is innovative, engaging and fun for the students. San Tan Learning Center is not only an asset to our community but a but partner in providing top notch education to our families.

Posted June 1, 2012

My family has been with this school for many years now and we could not be happier. From the preschool to the K-8 classrooms, individualized learning is happening. Everytime my daughter is on campus, she lights up and flourishes. This is such a great peice of mind for me knowing that she not only is getting a great education but feels safe and secure to where she loves being at school. How could I ask for more? The teachers and administration work closely together to do what is best for their kids. Yes, the gym is not full size as mentioned in other posts, but we came into the school knowing what they had to offer facilities wise. This is not as big of a deal as others make it seem; the smile on our daughters face and her learning is what matters. We love this school and what it does for our daugter. We can't wait for our youngest to attend as well.

Posted May 25, 2012

My child has just finished another school year and I am extremely happy and pleased. I am surprised by the number of negative reviews for what I perceive as trivial characteristics. 1) No school sports team. It was concern that I factored into my decision to ATTEND the school (not leave it). I concluded that athletics should not influence my choice for education, especially since they are comparable to most local private and charter schools that also do not have school teams. 2) No foreign language that was promised. These complaints occur in the past 3 negative reviews and appear to be an effort done in concert. Foreign language was offered a couple years ago, but the school informed all parents it would not be this year because reduced tax credits. 3) Member of chamber of commerce. This seems odd since I googled the chamber of commerce members and many charter schools, Christian schools, and both the Gilbert and Chandler Unified Schools are members. Perhaps I am blinded by my child s joy at San Tan, and feel the need to defent it. This lends to the the testament that parent involvement is phenomenal at the school, and is why I recommendation and support it.

Posted May 22, 2012

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about San Tan. My daughter is in Kindergarten, and we love the teacher and all the growth that my daughter has made. Not only is my daughter growing in the classroom, but she has made so many wonderful friends. She has really come out of her shell. She is so excited to move over to Fulton Ranch and meet new teachers and friends. I know that San Tan is preparing my daughter for the real world starting at the young age of 5. Go San Tan!!

Posted May 22, 2012

In my 3 years at San Tan, my experience has been that the teachers and administrators choose to work there because they truly care about the education of children. Choosing a school based on sports/fields and how big the gym may be is not a priority for my children's education. My husband and I care about effective, communicative teachers and an implemented school vision that puts children first. We have found this at San Tan.

Posted May 22, 2012

San Tan Learning Center has been a great choice for my children due to the excellent teachers, strong school leadership, and challenging academic programs.

Posted May 21, 2012

This school is Horrible. We originally placed my son here because they had a program specifically for gifted kids and the classroom size was good. This year, was the first year they had a seventh grade, and their "plan" was to use the K12 online program. They gave seven undersupervised 7th graders laptops and a self paced program and left them to basically fend for themselves. By midyear, most of the kids were atleast 15% behind pace. Now that it's the end of the year, they are telling the kids they don't have to finish History or science, because they are so far behind. This is not educating. This is stealing your tax dollars. They stated they were going to hirte a foreign language teacher, but that never happened. Now they are saying they have a "new and improved" program for 7th and 8th grade. DON"T BELIEVE IT. Avoid this school.

Posted May 16, 2012

We came here for the gifted program after being disappointed with Chandler's CATS program. It was definitely a step up, and we plan to stay. It's not perfect, but it's the best fit for us, and they do seem to be continuously improving. Our pros - Kids' best interest seems to be #1, Daily PE, Individualized Learning Plans (this they could definitely do better, but it is way better than CATS and any other school I've heard about), Nutrition Policy, Real Community Feeling, Responsive Teachers. Our cons - No gifted K, Not Enough Technology in Kids' Hands.

Posted April 28, 2012

My child is about to finish her second year at Santan. I was hopeful with the school's recent growth; as well as the administration's vision that we would be pleased with our choice of school. That has not been the case. My child is on her second teacher so far this school year. This transition was very difficult and little was conveyed to me about this. The school lacks resources as well as adequate facilities (no full size gym, auditorium, or playground). Overall, the teachers lack experience and the administration does not keep its promises. The school is over-hyped and does not deliver the results conveyed. Like stated in one of the previous reviews; the school is too focused on being managed like a business instead of a fostering a school environment where children's needs come first.

Posted April 12, 2012

We have experienced both the preschool and elementary schools and have been very pleased! Our 3yo is reading and our elementary child is reading two levels above their grade and is excelling in math, vocabulary, and all other subjects. We listened to the charter board meeting as well and the only issue was overall math test scores for the school being slightly low. The school has grown a lot in the past year, and with growth comes challenges- kids new to the school need time to catch up. We feel that they are working hard to address the issue and the test scores will show it. As for the food issues previously addressed-preschoolers can't bring milk or juice so they actually eat their food instead. The school does not allow sugary foods or snacks. These are good things! Due to severe allergies, nuts and nut products are not allowed at the school; this is not a big deal! There are so many other options. This is a great, nurturing school with a dedicated staff and involved parents. They have music and daily PE (hopefully Spanish and Art soon!) They are not perfect but no school is. Parents need to do their part and work with teachers to make sure their child is excelling and happy.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A47%
Female 43%N/A49%
Male 57%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best Charter School In the East Valley (2014)
  • Top Three Charter School Teacher of the Year (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Go Gilbert "Top School in Gilbert" (2013)
  • Gilbert Chamber of Commerce Large Business of the Year (2013)
  • Gifted Teacher of the Year (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Cooking club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:40 am
School end time
  • 3:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:20 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:40 p.m.
  • Dr. Kristofer Sippel
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Individually guided instruction
  • Montessori
  • Project-based
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Dance club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
600
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
800
Students typically come from these schools
Higley Unified School District
Gilbert Unified School District

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Higley Unified School District