San Tan Learning Center

Charter | PK-8 | 540 students

We are best known for keeping each child at their cutting edge.

Living in Gilbert

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $159,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,230.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 25, 2013

Thank you for your interest in our schools. We are proud of the environment that has been created where each child is kept at their cutting edge of learning. The great state of Arizona allows families to choose a school environment that fits best with their needs. While parent reviews can give you a good snapshot of how a family is feeling at a given moment in time, we ask that if you have a question regarding any of our award winning programs please contact us for a personal tour at 480-222-0811.

Posted March 29, 2012

We will not be returning to this school. For prospective parents, here is our list of pros and cons. Pros-This school has relatively small class sizes and some excellent teachers and a handful of very dedicated parents.Cons- This school does NOT have real ILPs(teachers are not trained to do anything with the continual assessment results), there is no computer lab/technology for student use (teachers have a laptop and smartboad, but there is not tech education for the kids). There is not adequate space for sports, nor a working discipline policy, or a certified school nurse. The curriculum seems random, at best. Overall, we feel that the school lacks the resources and ability to actual deliver on its vision and is unstable.. Also, the extra things listed as available at this school are inaccurate. There is no foreign language taught. There are no school sports, unless you sign up for a paying club (many of which are taught by the overworked teachers and parents).

Posted March 20, 2012

I agree- all schools have issues and you will never find a perfect school. HOWEVER, you should be able to count on a school doing what it says it will do. When we started at STLC, it had a 10 Great Schools rating, it now has a 7 for a reason. They have not been able to replicate success with their growth. The State Charter Board recently granted them enrollment increase on a mercy vote because they had already signed a lease without getting the charter first for expansion& State Charter Board does not want 400 kids to be out of a school. While we have had several positives at the school, there is no individualized learning for students despite what they say, and there seems to be no accountability from anyone. I was hopeful to find a long term school as what they are promoting sounds fantastic, but it lacks in implementation. I do not think my kids are a year ahead and in some cases, behind. To the poster on 3/19 - yes, in preschool it is often easier to find a different school if this does not match your needs. But, as children get older, you hope to make a great choice and there are more things to consider in the whole school picture before withdrawing. PS- there's no wait list..

Posted March 20, 2012

My sons go to this school and we are transferring them to another school next year because they aren't getting, in the classroom, what we were promised. There are a lot of promises and not much follow thru, especially when it comes to individualized learning plans, teaching a grade level ahead and specials. If you are considering this school, be sure you look at the AIMS scores. After hearing the AZ state board for charter schools opinion of this school's test scores and operational practices, we were glad to know our instincts & experience is true. You can hear the audio testimony from their recent decision on the state's website under the March agenda. Our experience is definitely a lesson learned. When you are looking to attend this school, beware of the marketing gimmicks to get you to enroll. Maybe talk to other parents about their experiences at the school. There is a lot of parent involvement at San Tan. That's not a bad thing, but it's not everything.

Posted February 10, 2012

This is my second year with a student at SanTan (Last year I had one in the gifted program and one in the regular) and I could not be happier. I found SanTan after learning my local public school, despite being top rated, could not help a student working more than a grade level ahead. After years of overcrowded classes, packets of ditto homework and lessons taught to the test, I chose to leave our home school and drive 30 minutes for a charter option. The decision was the best one I have made for my children. SanTan creates an Individualized Education Plan for all students. This allows the teachers to know the student's strong and weak skills and give them specific goals to work on. The program allows the students to work at their own pace and tests them three times a year using MAP to show progress. Homework level is selected by the parent. If your child is doing well and is challenged select a low level of homework if you want more practice select a higher level. The kids are given individual as well as group assignments, public speaking lessons, and debate topics. The teachers are highly qualified, engaged and follow the Love & Logic philosophy. They prepare students!

Posted January 16, 2012

I really like the gifted program that my son is in and have adored both of his teachers. The school is a really good fit for our family because they don't allow candy (I got sooo tired of my kids always coming home full of treats for someone's birthday at their old school. I felt like we could never do treats at home when they were constantly sugared up at school), and the Love and Logic is a great fit for our parenting style. I like the parent involvement, but get a little exhausted at the constant requests for volunteers and various donations. I really like the small-town feel and sense of community as well. Last year I was a little concerned about some staff turnover. I love that the kids get daily P.E. One thing I really don't like is the no-nuts policy! I also like the Individual Education Plans.

Posted September 28, 2011

This was not the place for us. Very disorganized, front office gave us incorrect information and told us one thing one day, another story the next. Took our child out of this school and enrolled them at a school that is more organized, has a stronger curriculum and builds an excellent foundation for their future education. I will say that one of the teachers at San Tan LC was very friendly and observant, but for me, that is not enough. Also, it would be nice to know the qualifications, background/education information of the 'superintendent' and the education director (i.e. - where they attended college, the teachers list their information, shouldn't they?).

Posted September 3, 2011

SAN TAN ROADRUNNERS ARE NO. 1!!!!!!! The person who posted on Aug. 30 is not being honest in any fashion. First, juice is allowed, ALL dairy is allowed. Peanuts and foods that contain them are not due to the number of peanut allergic students. They are FULLY compliant with the law. It is true that they do not allow candy, cake, or other mind-melting foods for the aforementioned reason, they melt the brain. Kids do not perform at optimum levels when they are not properly nourished. This school teaches about the importance of good nutrition and making smart life-long food choices. I'm surprised someone views that as a bad thing.Since my kids have enrolled, which we are in year 2, they do not even ask for junk at home. They have boundless energy and sustainable focus. They are also performing beyond any expectation I could have ever set for them. Clearly the author of the last post doesn't "get" it. STLC welcomes every kind of people, but maybe not those living in Myopia. If the only genuine flaw is regarding food, I'd say there doing alright. Maybe the next complaint will be that the forced to learn things hahahaha. SAN TAN ROADRUNNERS ARE NO. 1!!!!!!!

Posted August 30, 2011

It's getting ridiculous at SanTan. My preschooler can't have nuts, peanut butter, juice of any kind (even 100%), milk, cheese or anything dairy / nut related for lunch or snacks. Pretty much bread and water at this point. Isn't that what they give war criminals!

Posted August 29, 2011

We recently moved to the area and our neighbors recommend this school to us. Wow did we luck out. The parent involvement is amazing. The teachers and principle work so hard to ensure an individualized education for all the children at the school. Class sizes are small and the extra mile they go to get the kids on tract is great. It is like a private education for free. I know my children will succeed thanks to the education they receive at San Tan.

Posted August 18, 2011

My daughter has been going to this school for five years and has absolutely loved it! We drive a half hour each way just so she can attend. She's advanced in all areas, but more importantly she misses school when she's on break...now that's a good sign!

Posted August 15, 2011

Those of you have posted over the past month with your observations regarding the school focusing on the wrong things. YOU HAVE NO IDEA and are wise to have moved on. Decisions are made depending on the direction of the wind at the time without consideration of how it effects the students. Your kids are dollars to the administration. Nothing more. Decisions are made by one person who has 100% of the say on all decisions. The focus is on gaining revenue and building more campuses. The used car sales example is spot on and just about sums it up. My kids will not be attending STLC.

Posted August 12, 2011

I totally agree with the other posters that this school's main motivation is increasing revenue and attendance at the cost of the individual students' welfare. I understand the school is new, but unfortunately, most of the teaching staff is so young and unexperienced that they are unable to deal with common discipline issues in a productive and helpful manner. The school does not offer services for students who may need extra help or have learning disabilities; but holds them to unrealistically high academic standards. Overall, there is a feeling of lack of love, patience and caring for students. The school instead treats them more as means to meet certain standards that will help the school meet their goals. Our son started at a new school this year and has already received more feedback and personal care than he did in the entire year he spent at San Tan.

Posted August 5, 2011

This school is terrible for so many reasons. I do not honestly know what motivates them, but it is not what is best for the children. The atmosphere is stiffling and uncaring towards the kids and parents. They jump from trend to trend, but succeed at none. First it was hands on learning, then nutrition, then PE, then academic advancement and a gifted program. Nothing lasts. The implementation of new ideas is done hastily and poorly and the change is never ending. It is like they are trying hard to figure out what will make them great and they have no idea what it might be. This is kind of place where the children's art all looks the same and then they drop the art program. This is a place where the children were not allowed to speak to each other at lunch. When they decided to be academically advanced, they moved every child up to the next grade level. They did not bring them up to speed. They just skipped a year of education. And they notified parents of the change at back to school night, the day before the new year started. I wonder what poorly planned, unsubstantiated by research leap they will make next. Thank goodness we won't be there to experience it.

Posted August 3, 2011

Very disappointed!! Don't fall for the school's enticing and luring vision, as it is just a bunch of words on paper. True, STLC has wonderful "verbage" in its promotional materials and knows how to throw out winning catchphrases like 'the leading edge of education'. However, it is strictly "Used Car Salesman Tactics". My child was left behind the entire year, last year, with no intervention from administration. My child is extremely bright, but was not in any way challenged to meet his potential. Nor was he receiving an Individualized Learning Plan as promised. To my dismay, behavior issues were rampant in his class, not surprisingly with the ill-chosen Love & Logic model in place for discipline. Be careful with this school. It is unfortunately an illusion. The teachers and administration do not have the educational expertise to realize the academic promises they make. The administration is more focused on growth and revenue than on professional development for teachers, ultimately effecting the quality of education being delivered to our children. We have changed schools this year, hooray, and I would NEVER recommend this school.

Posted July 17, 2011

San Tan Learning Center is a great school! The teachers are highly qualified, the leadership has great vision and a true mission for children's education and the respect of parent involvement is respected. We love having our kids at this school and we are excited for the new school year to get started! A+++

Posted June 17, 2011

This school was a major let down. The teachers are great and the amount of parental involvement is superior to others but the organization is lacking and left me on many occasions feeling lost. They also have a huge emphasis on their gifted program. The gifted children are afforded many opportunities(i.e.many extra field trips) that the regular children are not given access to. My child may not be gifted in their eyes but I still believe that he would benefit from being given the same learning opportunities as other children.

Posted April 17, 2011

not sure if this was a mistake or not - though the education is standard - there is a lot of malbehavior accepted in teheh school - children are very aggressive, the after school clubs are really a waste with the teachers or parent voulnteers not really paying attn to the kids - music teahcer left, curriculum coordinator is gone as well, principla leavign to start a district -the charters might not have enough reporting, monitoring or standard meeting crtieria so they just open up like everywhere in this state. go figure - you're in AZ.

Posted April 15, 2011

Perfect school, my husband and I could not be happier. I love they teach one grade a head. My now 5yr old who started Kindergarten this year at 4 has learned so much. Reading books from front to back adding, subtracting, its amazing I woudl recommend this school to everyone.

Posted January 3, 2011

Watch for the five star rating following the last review from December 30th. Parents of STLC students and their teachers are asked to monitor and counter any potentially negative review of this school.

Posted December 30, 2010

STLC has become a GREAT disappointment. The administration is clearly more focused on the "business" of running the school rather than nurturing its founding vision. I have been a STLC parent for a few years and have slowly been seeing the light. It is a fact that the students do not have the resources that they should considering the amount of fundraising dollars that are elicited continually throughout the year. The administration has proven to favor and indulge a select population of the students (and parents) at the expense of the children as a whole. The school's motto this year is "Together we are Invincible"- I don't think so. My children will not be attending STLC next school year. I'm actually considering the old fashioned public school route. At least there, you know what you are getting.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A47%
Female 43%N/A49%
Male 57%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best Charter School In the East Valley (2014)
  • Top Three Charter School Teacher of the Year (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Go Gilbert "Top School in Gilbert" (2013)
  • Gilbert Chamber of Commerce Large Business of the Year (2013)
  • Gifted Teacher of the Year (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Cooking club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:40 am
School end time
  • 3:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:20 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:40 p.m.
  • Dr. Kristofer Sippel
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Individually guided instruction
  • Montessori
  • Project-based
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Dance club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
600
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
800
Students typically come from these schools
Higley Unified School District
Gilbert Unified School District

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Higley Unified School District