San Tan Learning Center

Charter | PK-8 | 540 students

We are best known for keeping each child at their cutting edge.

Living in Gilbert

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $159,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,230.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 25, 2013

Thank you for your interest in our schools. We are proud of the environment that has been created where each child is kept at their cutting edge of learning. The great state of Arizona allows families to choose a school environment that fits best with their needs. While parent reviews can give you a good snapshot of how a family is feeling at a given moment in time, we ask that if you have a question regarding any of our award winning programs please contact us for a personal tour at 480-222-0811.

Posted December 1, 2010

Love this school!!!!! The administration, teachers and families all care about one thing...helping the students be all they can be. They have individuallize growth plans for each subject area as well as character development. The have an amazing gifted school that understands what it is to be gifted and how to get the most out of each student. They also help to educate parents on gifted issues, nutrition and character development. It is a loving environment that fosters a life long love of learning. Could not be happier!!!

Posted November 10, 2010

Be cautious-they will place your child in gifted without even testing them first. Seems they want to inflate the numbers anyway they can. Check out the resumes-3 schools in as many years. And now seeking a position atanother new charter opening next year!

Posted October 6, 2010

This is our first year at STLC and we couldn't be happier. After attending an academically rigorous school last year, I feared my children would not be challenged. I couldn't have been more wrong. The teachers design individually for each child, taking their needs into account. Indivual goals for reading, spelling, math, etc. Even character goals. New goals every quarter - 4 parent/teacher conferences. Nice to see the teachers have a plan for each of my children.

Posted August 17, 2010

My daughter has absolutely thrived at this school! She entered Kindergarten with the ability to read and a do simple math problems using addition and subtraction. Aside from the academics, she is taught to be peaceful and respectful to others and to the earth. I continue to be impressed by this school. I am confident she is receiving a well-rounded education. Definitely better than a public school would be able to provide. The pricipal and staff are professional, caring and very involved in the day- to-day. My only critism would be regarding the decision to get rid of Ms. Natalie and Ms. Ann. They were 2 of the best teachers my child has ever had and their departure is a true loss for the school.

Posted August 7, 2010

I would be very cautious of this school. They are opening a "Gifted program" this year, and my son had been attending the school for 3 years. They didn't identify him as one to be "tested" for the program. When I was enrolling him in a different school, because of my overwhelming discontent with the administration, the new school tested him. He is a shoe-in for the gifted program. He got a 97 on the non-verbal and a 93 on the quantitative section. Their gifted program is another way for them to take money from parents. The state does not provide $$ for charter schools to supply gifted programs. That is where my original complaint stems from. They allowed parents to be under the impression that a fund contribution ($50/month) was mandatory. Parents do your homework! ASBCS.az.gov (Arizona State Board of Charter Schools)

Posted July 20, 2010

To comment on the post below this one. Those two teachers are no longer with STLC they were let go

Posted June 15, 2010

Unfortunately, I think that sometimes the most unhappy people often seem to post the majority of reviews on these sites! We have 2 children at this school and absolutely love it! The teachers are top notch and truly care about the kids. The administration really seems to have the best interests of the students at heart. My kids have never been in a school that tracks their growth and individualizes learning so much. It's honestly better than our experience in a private school, but FAR cheaper! I love the fact that they have PE everyday. They get music and art, which many schools are beginning to cut out these days. And they get Spanish too! I know everyone has different experiences wherever they go, but ours has been nothing less than OUTSTANDING at San Tan. We are so grateful that we chose to come here!!

Posted June 13, 2010

I've read all the reviews and to suggest that some might be vengeful is scary. Why would anyone want revenge??

Posted May 10, 2010

Like the previous post-it really is just a show,the admin will tell you anything to get you to come here and then once here-no follow though. Longer school day, mediocre academics, very small playground. The school is expanding and have to fill up the new buildings somehow.

Posted April 6, 2010

San Tan Learning Center has been an unbelievable experience for me as a teacher. With much smaller class sizes I am able to individualize curriculum according the student strengths and needs. The extensive amounts of specials the student receive provide a well rounded educational experience. They receive P.E. four days a week with a health nutrition class 1 day a week. In addition, the students participate in music two days, and one day a week in art and Spanish. With the state educational system continually dealing with devastating budget cuts, San Tan understands the importance of these specials and unlike many other schools continues to offer them. The overall attention I have been able to give to each child has been dramatically more than I thought possible, and as a teacher makes my jobs so rewarding. ~Mrs. Sarah Portela
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 5, 2010

Moving my kids to STLC has been one of the best decisions that we have made for our kids. In January, we enrolled our 1st grader and twin 4 year old boys at STLC. Since then my first grader's reading and math skills have improved exponentially. His teacher is National Board Certified and she is wonderul. She is highly skilled and compassionate. The overall school climate is welcoming and focused on creating a strong community of all of the families. My twins are in separate classes and they both have great teachers. They are beginning to spell and read simple words and I credit the wonderful teachers at STLC for their success. I teach in the public school system and I never thought I would send my kids to a charter school, but STLC has lived up to all of their promises and we are thrilled with the results.

Posted March 24, 2010

As a teacher at San Tan Learning Center, I am priviledged to see the growth of the students in all areas of their core academics; as well as in their special areas of PE, Music, Art, and Spanish. The teachers, and administrative staff strive to ensure the highest standards of learning for the students and for the affirmation of parents in the community of STLC; thus, allowing, 'Learning to Take Them Around the World'. It's exciting to be a part of this legacy for them. Ms. Kerry Music Teacher
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 12, 2010

San Tan Learning Center has been an amazing school for our son for the past 2 years. The curriculum is challenging and age-appropriate. The teachers and staff go above and beyond and use a variety of hands-on teaching methods that assist the children in developing their critical thinking skills. This school has a wonderful parent-teacher network and has involved and caring parents. As an educator myself, I found San Tan Learning Center to be an wonderful example of how all schools should be.

Posted January 6, 2010

We are so happy we found San Tan learning center. My daughter is very strong willed. Her teacher at San Tan Learning Center has the experience and patients that allows her to fit in with her classmates and mature at her grade level. She is in her second year at the school and doing great. The new school building is the best! The classrooms are spacious and the campus has room to grow into a much larger school. I also love the security level the school has; I do not worry about my kid s safety after I drop them off at school. It will be so exciting to be part of this school for years to come.

Posted December 17, 2009

Out of curiosity I checked my child's school rating on this site and was dismayed with the negative reviews I saw. My experience has been exactly opposite of that depicted below. I'm a stay at home mom and sought long and hard for the perfect preschool for my child. I researched and visited many schools in preparation for his first school experience. I chose San Tan Learning Center for its outstanding curriculumn, teachers and staff. My son is now half-way through his second year at San Tan and he loves it there. I've found teachers and staff to be very responsive and communicative. At San Tan I feel we are part of a big extended family, and not just a number. My son gets the individualized attention every student deserves there. I would highly recommend this school for your preschool through 6th grade children.

Posted December 17, 2009

My children have attended this school since it opened. We are so pleased with how well our children are doing academically and socially. The teachers have always been willing to go the extra step when needed to make sure my children were on track. So many of the San Tan families have become our close friends. It has been a wonderful experience.

Posted October 29, 2009

I am not a teacher or part of the administration for this school. I can genuinely say that this school is amazing! I'm sure things change from year to year....this is our first year at STLC. My child's teacher is absolutely the best teacher he has ever had! She is nurturing, modifies curriculum to meet all of her students needs in the best way possible, and is wonderful with parent communication. Last year, I was constantly feeling in the dark at our other school. At STLC, this has not been the case for us. I applaud the job they are doing! Perhaps they have taken some of the criticisms to heart and made improvements?! :) We are sold on this school!

Posted October 20, 2009

It is in my opinion that STLC is the worst school that I ever placed my child into so far. From the administration down to the teachers, there is a lack of consistency, nurturing or positive influences. I have been appalled by some of the things that I have seen and heard by the administration and some of the teachers. This is not a healthy or positive environment despite by what seems to be rebuttals by the administration in the only 5 star posts.

Posted September 30, 2009

Beware of this school. They might make it look good on the surface, however, in reality you will be enrolling your child in a school that is hyper-focused on test scores and lacks the experience, both in the administration and the teaching staff, to provide a well rounded education. They are just scattered trying to keep families happy by telling them what they want to hear and then not delivering on the promises. I was also told exactly what I wanted to hear over and over until I finally moved on. This is not the experience I am having at the new school, they wanted us and they told the truth about what we could expect; what we were told is what is happening. San Tan Learning Center is not the place if you are trying to provide a well rounded, quality education for your child.

Posted September 23, 2009

We have attened this school for the last two years. Our children love their teachers. The post about the 'administration telling you what you want to hear' is misleading I think because every school who wants you and your child to attend their school will tell you 'what you want to hear.' There are so many great families here. The friends my children and I have made are wonderful. What a great atmosphere for our children.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A47%
Female 43%N/A49%
Male 57%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best Charter School In the East Valley (2014)
  • Top Three Charter School Teacher of the Year (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Go Gilbert "Top School in Gilbert" (2013)
  • Gilbert Chamber of Commerce Large Business of the Year (2013)
  • Gifted Teacher of the Year (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Cooking club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:40 am
School end time
  • 3:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:20 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:40 p.m.
  • Dr. Kristofer Sippel
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Individually guided instruction
  • Montessori
  • Project-based
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Dance club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
600
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
800
Students typically come from these schools
Higley Unified School District
Gilbert Unified School District

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Higley Unified School District