Gilbert Arts Academy

Charter | PK-6 | 175 students

GAA provides a quality education with a strong focus on character development.

Living in Gilbert

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $170,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

School Official Point of View

Posted February 19, 2014

Gilbert Arts Academy offers a safe, family-oriented environment that focuses on meeting the individual needs of all students, while challenging each to reach their highest potential. Our team of dedicated teachers and staff take pride in providing a quality education and ensuring our students develop healthy habits, attitudes and confidence to yield success in all aspects of life.

Posted April 7, 2014

Gilbert Arts Academy is an amazing school! My children love school and love learning. The fact that they want to make their teachers happy and look forward to seeing them, from previous years and this current year tells me that my children are in good hands.

Posted April 4, 2014

The first word that comes to mind about GAA is nurturing. EVERY staff member knows EVERY child's name at GAA. There is such a sense of community and family at this school from the moment we are greeted by a staff member in the morning to when I pick up my smiling happy first grader. She was accepted to enroll at GAA in the middle of her kindergarten year. She was having a terrible time at her previous school. She was not being challenged in her studies nor being cared for in this over populated school. The staff at this previous school could offer no support. We toured several schools before arriving to GAA where our daughter was told she could start the next day. She was greeted with open arms by the staff and children. She is now doing well in most subjects. The one area she was falling behind in she was offered after school tutoring and is quickly getting caught up to speed. The after school programs are fantastic and the support from the staff is outstanding. Everyday I think how fortunate we are to have found such a wonderful school. GAA is everything I've hoped for in education for my daughter and then some.

Posted February 11, 2014

Gilbert Arts Academy is amazing! I really appreciate this school; especially the quality of teachers. My son has excelled in learning as well as socially. I love when I visit the school because I can see how well each child is KNOWN. My son loves going to this school. In fact, we drive him every day from Mesa to Gilbert because he loves it so much. It has a great "no bully" policy. I have never seen rotten behavior when I visit. The atmosphere is fun as well as challenging! Thanks GAA!! Go mustangs!

Posted January 23, 2014

I have had my boys at this school for two years now and was previously a home schooler. I LOVE this school. Their PE teacher Ms. Hay is one of the best I've ever seen, her love and excitement for the children is amazing. Their Kindergarten teacher was awesome, I'm excited for my daughter to be in her class next year! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mrs. Black the third grade teacher. She has a class of 15 boys and 5 girls and they are not only doing well, but excelling! They are doing 4th and 5th grade math!!! I would highly recommend this school. I am unable to home school my children right now due to life circumstances and am so thankful I found this school!

Posted August 5, 2013

This will sadly be our last year of school here at GAA. My student is very excited for the school year to begin! We are still trying to figure out a way to have GAA extend to 2 extra years here. We have been coming to GAA since Kindergarten. We have always felt GAA as our second home. Teachers and staff here are great and go the extra mile to care for our students. It will be a bitter sweet year, but know we can always call GAA our second home.

Posted August 3, 2013

I wish I could give this school zero or negative stars. This is the worse school I have ever been to. The teachers were not experience or educated at all. I have never known of a school who doesn't want volunteers in their classrooms. I always felt this school was full of fake and evil people and sad to say I was right. Please parents keep your children far away from the place of horrors!!

Posted August 3, 2013

Old worn and tired classrooms, in a state if flux and change of leadership, treating teachers with no respect, lack of appreciation for countless unpaid hours, lack of necessary support and guidance, unreal expectations, no art infused curriculum to even call it an Art Academy, corporation and education should never meet, low pay for 16 hr work days. Stay away.

Posted May 28, 2013

I sent my daughter to GAA because I teach at Gilbert High which is just around the corner. She had been in an elementary with about 1000 students so it was a whole new world! The principal really knows every parent and student, and leads her faculty in an exemplary fashion. The P.E. teacher is a gem; dynamic ,funny, and engaging. The music teacher is creative and committed. My child's classroom teacher had excellent management, high expectations, and fun learning activities. My daughter enrolled in orchestra. The after school programs are diverse, and entertaining as well as skill building. My daughter enrolled in soccer, tennis, art, and several more throughout the year. We had an awesome experience and would reccommend this high quality school to any one.

Posted April 24, 2013

GAA is a very good school. They have high expectations for their students, teachers and staff. Their teachers are dedicated. No two classes, or two students are identical. GAA is effective in its approach in that GAA has teachers that understand this and differ instruction to best help each student to be successful. Also, students want to be there.

Posted February 26, 2013

We started our kids at GAA this year. It has been an incredible experience! The Principal, teachers and staff all take their job of educating and mentoring the kids very seriously. Our daughter that has some special needs THRIVED at this school. Communication is outstanding. My kids enjoy going to school everyday and have learned so much. It is with great confidence that I recommend Gilbert Arts Academy to anyone looking for an above average school!

Posted January 18, 2013

This is a great school! It's a small campus and the teachers and staff know all the students names and families. Our kids really like being at GAA for class and all the after school clubs. Keep up the good work 5th grade!

Posted January 18, 2013

This is our first year at Gilbert Arts and we are so happy we made the change. It's smaller than our Gilbert Public School, but my kids are really being challenged in class and love their teachers. Everyone is so positive and respectfull. As a parent, I love the Zero Tolerence policy for bullying.

Posted January 17, 2013

This school is not what it is cracked up to be. The teachers are lax and overbearing. Its their way or the highway. Don't go there.

Posted November 19, 2012

My daughter is in her 5th year of going to this school. We both are very happy with the staff and the education. This year has been the best year so far. The teachers really work with parents to make sure that they know what is going on in their child classroom, and the PTO works very hard to inform parents of all school activities.

Posted May 18, 2012

My son is finishing his first year here in kindergarten. It has been a WONDERFUL experience for him. The staff, teachers, and principal are dedicated and caring. I know he is safe and cared for when I drop him off. The students are well behaved and taught about character. Within a week of starting school everyone knew my son's name! This school is about community and no child will ever feel left out. My son has special needs and everyone at the schoool has been so loving and understanding. He gets all the resources and help he needs and has had a very successful year. I don't understand the negative reviews on here. They don't even make sense...

Posted October 10, 2011

As part of the education team at Gilbert Arts Academy it saddens me when one individual is not pleased with a decision and it affects their vision in a negative way from that point on. We are not a perfect school but we strive hard to be one! Our education is top notch with teachers focused on students and their needs. Tutoring is available. After school clubs offer students the opportunities to participate in a variety of areas including science, craftes, music, P.E., fitness,drama, and more. Parents are on campus daily sharing their time and talents. Community is in involved in activities in a variety of ways. Staff and principal are always available to listen and help in any way possible. Our PTO is highly supportive. Our goal is to develop character in our students that will ensure them success now and in the future. Check us out! Our staff is great! Our parents are wonderful! Our students are phenomenal!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 22, 2011

I really disliked this school. Parents pick your childs school wisely. Look else where before enrolling them here.

Posted September 20, 2011

If you are looking for a great school for your child that they can grow with that have great teachers and office staff that are well educated and go above and beyond for your child. Do NOT enroll your child here. This school is not for children who may need extra help in certain areas. The teachers had very poor commination I never knew what my child was learning or activities going on in the classroom. The school does not have enough resources for all students to be in the after school activities. I was so happy that we found a wonderful school that knows what they re doing and how knows how to do it well.

Posted September 15, 2011

This is my daughter's 4th year at this school and she loves it. I love the extra attention each child receives, all the teachers know all the students names and the atmosphere is very inviting. The staff are very caring and the after school clubs are fantastic! A real effort is made to keep grades up by providing tutors, if needed and keeping parents informed. My child was diagnosed with ADD, the school provided the extra help she needed and were very supportive, helpful and patient when I chose a natural treatment over medicine. We love this school!

Posted September 13, 2011

Great school...IF your child does NOT need special attention! They are unable to manage special needs situations & are disorganized. Parents do the bulk of the work at home and pick up & drop off is a fiasco, so be sure you have the time if you enroll your kids here.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A47%
Female 48%N/A49%
Male 52%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Advanced Ed Accredited (2011)
  • District Accredited (2014)
  • National School Choice (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Mrs. Figueroa
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • gaainfo@leonagroup.com
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 632-2077

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Differentiated Instruction
  • Direct instruction
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
  • Music
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Boys and Girls Club

Performing arts
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Book/reading club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Foreign language club: Spanish Club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Recycling club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor