Val Vista Academy

Charter | K-6 | 300 students

Our school is best known for its Differentiated Instruction and culture.

Living in Gilbert

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $181,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,180.

Sweep tile

Posted April 1, 2014

This is our first year at Val Vista Academy and we are absolutely THRILLED! Throughout the year we have had the privilege of watching our children grow in confidence and character as they achieve significant progress socially, emotionally, and academically. The exceptional teachers are full of compassion for their students and provide them an outstanding education. We are very impressed by the consistent and open communication within Val Vista. We are truly grateful to be a part of such an extraordinary school community. Keep ROCKIN' VVA!!

Posted February 14, 2014

VVA ROCKS!!! I'm a first time Charter School Parent, and I have to say I love the family oriented atmosphere, kids and families are awesome, is like having an extended family at VVA!!! Teachers and staff know every kid in campus.

Posted January 13, 2014

This school is great! The work is challenging. I read other reviews that said the work was easy but compared to regular public school, VVA's work is way harder. I know , I have sent my kid to other schools in the area. Val Vista Academy was rated one of the best schools in Arizona. The kids do a fall and spring concert. They say the pledge every morning too!

Posted November 21, 2013

This is school is top rated in charter schools with 3 or more campuses. AIMS scores are out of this world! Not sure why someone would say the work is easy, but the kids are learning and are excited to come to school everyday. The principal is very accessible and responsive. I recommend this school if you are looking for a top education for your child and teachers and staff that really care. In a city where there is a school on every corner, you will be hard pressed to find a better school than VVA!

Posted November 16, 2013

The atmosphere and families at VVA are phenomenal. Not sure about the administration. The principal seems nice but appears to have his "favorites". Not a good idea. Also would love to see a more advanced curriculum. Children who are already "ahead of the game" should be a delight not a problem but just because they are "ahead of their peers" doesn't mean they should be left to learn on their own. Often the homework is so easy that there is absolutely no sense in sending it home and, if it is a reflection of what is being taught in the classroom then I question the teacher's ability to diversify education for individual children. I believe they could easily address this problem but seem "stuck" on what other charter schools are doing and following the status quo. We stay because of the wonderful families and the loving atmosphere - just wish they would up their game from an academic standpoint.

Posted September 26, 2013

Our school is awesome. We have ranked #1 in Gilbert and #15 in the states for K-8 schools. Our teacher and students and staff work very hard to be successful. We are growing into a strong community and will continue to grow.

Posted September 10, 2013

Great school!! It's a smaller school so you get a sense of community here. The teachers we have had so far a really great (K-1). Private school quality at charter school prices (free). Great office staff, always friendly and nice principal who really seems involved and really cares about the kids. All the parent volunteers are background checked, finger printed and trained. I have had 2 older kids in the public Arizona schools and so I can tell you that Val Vista Academy is way better than public school. The curriculum is challenging and the strict uniform dress code is great!

Posted August 12, 2013

We love VVA! We are a family that transferred from Dobson Academy and we loved it there too! VVA is just much closer to our home. I'm not sure about the crowded classrooms but my daughters Kinder class has 20 (with a teacher and a paraprofessional teacher), and my other child's 3rd grade class has 15! My daughters 3rd grade teacher made it a point to approach my car at carline and have a brief conversation about a concern I had with my daughters math. The school has gone above and beyond to help accommodate my kindergartener who has a severe peanut allergy! Teachers are wonderful, technology is great, and the campus is clean and beautiful. Can't ask for more....

Posted August 8, 2013

My child started at Val Vista Academy last year as a kindergartner. We were very pleased with his kindergarten experience at Val Vista. His teacher was fantastic and genuinely cared for her students. I was very impressed with the quality of the education he received. The initial weeks of last year were a bit disorganized, but not in a way that I feel distracted from the students experience. I would have preferred slightly more structure in communicating with the parents and stronger leadership from administration. In fairness to Val Vista, this was their first year of operation and a few bumps in the road are to be expected. Our son is now a first grader at Val Vista. We are very pleased with his teacher and I have noticed improvements in some of the areas that were lacking at the start of last year. Overall, I would say our experience with Val Vista Academy has been positive and I would recommend Val Vista to our friends and neighbors.

Posted August 1, 2013

How did we go from a small friendly community to overcrowded classrooms and an administration that is not approachable. I have two students in this school and both of the classes had over 30 students and not enough desks for them. Looks like it is time to search for that small community again.

Posted July 31, 2013

The first day of school was amazing. The group of kids we have at Val Vista Academy are wonderful. We are going to have a great school year. (Just like last year) Our school has so many excited activities that the students will be excited to attend. I believe we have the best staff, teachers and administrator any school could ask for! Keep it up Val Vista Academy!!!

Posted July 31, 2013

I love coming to work at Val Vista Academy each day. The students, parents and staff are wonderful. I had an incredible first day and can't wait to see my new students grow academically as the year progresses. In my 10 years as a teacher this is the first school I have taught at where I feel loved and valued. The administration team are very supportive, and the teachers truly care about each individual child. Our parents are also wonderfully supportive and generous with their time, and donations. I have never had my own children attend the same school as I taught at, however when I began teaching at VVA I knew that my child would get a better education at VVA.

Posted July 31, 2013

We love Val Vista Academy. We had our first year last year and such a wonderful experience for our son. Great staff and faculty, we are looking forward to a new year with Ball Charter Schools.

Posted July 31, 2013

Val Vista Academy is a great school. I am very happy with the teachers, administrator and staff. I know my child will grow with the curriculum and the hard work the teaches have shown in the past. I am so excited for this new school year! Bring your child to Val Vista Academy and you will be pleased!!!!

Posted July 31, 2013

We had a fabulous first day! What a great group of kids and parents! We are so lucky to have such a great support system! I don't think we could ask for a better bunch of teachers, staff, kids, and parents. We have so many great things planned, it is so exciting to be a part of an A rated school and watch us grow as a community!

Posted July 31, 2013

Great first day! My child came home skipping! So happy to have this piece of mind knowing my kid is in great hands and receiving a great education. The teachers are so caring and wonderful! Thank you VVA, looking forward to another great year!

Posted July 31, 2013

OUR SCHOOL IS THE BEST!!! VAL VISTA ACADEMY is the place to be! Thank you to the wonderful staff for making sure my kids had a wonderful first day! It feels so good to send them to school knowing they are excited to be there and have such awesome teachers! THANK YOU to each and every one of you! And you all make my day too with your smiling faces in the morning greeting us at carline!

Posted January 24, 2013

My kindergarten daughter learnt so much and I am so thrilled to see how much she has grown. Wonderful principal, teachers and staff members.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

The Arizona Department of Education did not report AZ LEARNS results for this school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students ELL/ESL Coordinator
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • "A" Rating (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science club

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:30a.m.
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • 3:00p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ray Webb
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Project-based
  • Singapore Math
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Parent drop-off and pick-up
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Theory
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Great Volunteer Program
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor