Public charter
Gilbert, AZ

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

People often ask me, "What sets your school apart from the others?" My reply, "We truly care about children!" Sure we differentiate, assess student progress and are data driven. We are a vanguard school in the area. Our teachers are all highly qualified and certified but, it's the climate and culture that permeates the campus that makes Val Vista Academy special. It's an exciting time for us with four new buildings completing our campus. The curriculum is strong and the family support is phenomenal! We enjoy doing things that empower children, they love their school and their teachers. I invite you to come on by and visit us. It would be my pleasure to give you a tour of our campus. Val Vista Academy, "Where Children are the Priority!" Ray Webb Principal
June 18, 2014

Val Vista Academy
Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted July 09, 2015
There isn't enough work to keep students advanced. The Kinder program is far behind what other schools are.

Val Vista Academy 1

Posted July 09, 2015
As a child going into first grade who can't even read at a standard level, I'm disappointed in what I see the quality is. They don't encourage group play and don't focus on the individual. Poor parent communication and are behind about a year.

Posted February 18, 2015
I love our school and I know it may seem that I have to say that as a teacher however, the truth is I would not need to stay if I didn't love it. I spend at least 50 hours a week working with students on areas of improvement (often including lunch) but I enjoy it. The difference between our school and others is that we are supported by our principal which encourages us to work harder. Like any review there will be more negatives then positives due to the need to get out anger. I can say that teachers are dealt with when parent complaints arrive but it is never a public event which is how it should be and why the few bad reviews complain that is was never acknowledged. With 452 students, we are bound to have a few upset parents as all students are not the same and some students receive necessary discipline that parents don't agree with just like any other school. I hope all readers realize there is always another side of each story. Parents do walk-throughs every day, so you can see each teacher in a real unscripted classroom lesson. Seeing is believing.
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 27, 2015
My child started Kindergarten at Val Vista Academy this year (2014/2015) and I am more than pleased with the school. My child is on the young side compared to the other kindergarteners and absolutely thriving. I know that there is some drama going on between staff members/ex staff members and that it may be playing out in the negative reviews that have recently been posted online. All I have to say is that Val Vista is an amazing school. Most of the staff members, including the principal and vice principal, know my child by name and always greet us with a smile. The curriculum is challenging compared to what Kindergarteners are getting at other Gilbert schools. We're looking forward to a bright future with Val Vista Academy.
7 people found this helpful

Posted January 27, 2015
I am so thrilled about Val Vista Academy! This was my child's first year at this school transferring from a local elementary school. I couldn't have asked for an easier transition. The teachers and students made him feel so welcome! VVA pushes for a challenging curriculum but also makes it fun and engaging for the children in the classrooms. Classroom assignments and paperwork are not thrown in his face like the popular "traditional" schools in the area and homework in the lower grades isn't too hefty. (There is a life outside of homework!) In regards to curriculum, I know that VVA is more challenging, yet age appropriate vs local public schools. My child is LOVING school, comes home and can't wait to tell me about his day, which was non-existent from last year. So far, I LOVE VVA!
6 people found this helpful

Val Vista Academy 4

Posted January 26, 2015
I am a hard working mother with a son who goes to Val Vista. And I am appalled at all the previous comments; not surprised, but upset. This school has been wonderful for my son who has had trouble in math, specifically. His teacher has spent free after school time with him to get better. To all you parents who don't work and take time to write bad reviews, why don't you volunteer at the school and help Instead of complain?!!!!! My son's teacher told me there is not much help from other parents. it's a great school and only has room to grow.
6 people found this helpful

Val Vista Academy 1

Posted January 25, 2015
As a parent who's child has spent most of this year being harassed by another child in their class I can attest to the fact that this school does have a problem with bullying and while the teacher did try and correct the problem she is limited and the principal doesn't seem to want to bother with the problem. It breaks my heart that a school with so much potential has such poor leadership. Unfortunately my family will not be returning to VVA next year unless there is a change in Leadership.
5 people found this helpful

Posted January 25, 2015
Review written on Friday was written by myself, and I am a parent not an employee, no relation to anyone on staff or board who moved my child from a private school they had attended for many years ,10,000 a year. Children are challenged, curriculum is incredible is created for every academic area and special area classes. Teams work together to plan lessons, math assessments are Singapore assessments, DIBELS assessments are formal assessments, diffentiated instruction is created by using these assessments, grouped according to ability level. If you are concerned about the curriculum, standards, whether the students are being taught to the test meet with your child's teacher, the curriculum specialist and administrative staff. A new state test has been developed and know one knows what is even on to the new state assessment. All teachers are highly qualified, have early childhood certificates and/or K-8 certificates. Standards/objectives are clearly stated on the white board, view work samples, look at DIBELS scores, visit your child's class and then make your own judgements. We love VVA, our children have grown academically fluorish since switching them from private to VVA.
10 people found this helpful

Val Vista Academy 3

Posted January 25, 2015
This school has the potential to be great. Unfortunately, leadership is lacking. The school board appears to only care about making money and is not holding the principal accountable for his actions. Pros:- Very little bullying - Small family friendly environment Cons: - Very little differentiated instruction. Teachers seem to teach to the test. - Principal ignores and does not respond to complaints.
9 people found this helpful

Val Vista Academy 4

Posted January 25, 2015
As a member of the AZ Ball Charter School Governing Board and parent of two children who attend Val Vista Academy, I am grateful to have my children as members of the Val Vista Academy family. From the principal, assistant principal, administrative staff, teachers, and para-professional educators, you will not find a better environment that your child will not only be able to succeed but thrive in. Of course, Val Vista Academy is not at a 5-star level yet because of the newness of the school and still going through the growth phase with additional courses still being added at the middle school level every semester, but the school strives to ensure that every child is recognized as a human being and not just another number passing through the doors. Successes are celebrated consistently and the safety of the campus is of utmost importance, with the principal being one of the chief designers during the initial build phase of the school. I would highly recommend Val Vista Academy as your next school of choice for your child to attend and see the magnificent difference they will come away with once the school year is complete!
3 people found this helpful

Val Vista Academy
4120 S. Val Vista Dr., Gilbert, AZ  85297
Last modified Val Vista Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Val Vista Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top