Public charter
Gilbert, AZ

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

People often ask me, "What sets your school apart from the others?" My reply, "We truly care about children!" Sure we differentiate, assess student progress and are data driven. We are a vanguard school in the area. Our teachers are all highly qualified and certified but, it's the climate and culture that permeates the campus that makes Val Vista Academy special. It's an exciting time for us with four new buildings completing our campus. The curriculum is strong and the family support is phenomenal! We enjoy doing things that empower children, they love their school and their teachers. I invite you to come on by and visit us. It would be my pleasure to give you a tour of our campus. Val Vista Academy, "Where Children are the Priority!" Ray Webb Principal
June 18, 2014

Posted August 26, 2015
Our family is new to Val Vista Academy. We really appreciate the small class size, warm and friendly staff, and the new principal, Dr. Londer who is visible and demonstrates excellent communication skills with parents, staff ands students. If you have an opportunity for your child to enroll/transfer to Val Vista Academy, I recommend that you check it out, especially if your child is currently enrolled in a large school with too many children in his/her class. I promise that you will be impressed. A VERY happy parent....

Val Vista Academy 3

Posted August 15, 2015
Well... After visiting many schools in THE VALLEY. We settled At Val Vista Academy for our kindergartener and our child in an upper grade because the fact that they have a teacher and an aide and less than 20 students. Turns out that the aide part is not true. The aides work the lunchroom all day. They're NOT in the K classroom but an hour or so in the morning. The lunch room is ran similar to a prison. Kids Can't sit with their friends. This should be a time to enjoy lunch with a friend. No wonder they're losing students...

Posted August 14, 2015
Val Vista has only been back in school for four days, but as a parent who has been at the school since the first year it opened I can feel and see the incredible amount of effort and attention to making thinks better for parents, teachers and staff. The new principal comes to us with an incredible background of knowledge on how to bring a sense of community with the school. The curriculum is amazing - Singapore Math, fundations for phonics, harcourt reading along with literature books, individualized attention to both students who need to be challenged and those who are struggling. We love the small class sizes, every teacher is highly qualified with an Az certificate, all the paras/assistants have also taken and passed their exams, reading coach, math coach. Incredible new competitive sports program, wide range of after school activities. Teachers and other staff are always vey polite and willing to help in every way possible. Thanks Dr. Londer(new principal), Annette(secretary), Carla(bookkeeper), Sandra (school nurse), all the teachers, paras and other support staff for creating such a warm, friendly, inviting atmosphere for all the students and parents!

Val Vista Academy
Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted July 09, 2015
There isn't enough work to keep students advanced. The Kinder program is far behind what other schools are.

Val Vista Academy 1

Posted July 09, 2015
As a child going into first grade who can't even read at a standard level, I'm disappointed in what I see the quality is. They don't encourage group play and don't focus on the individual. Poor parent communication and are behind about a year.

Posted February 18, 2015
I love our school and I know it may seem that I have to say that as a teacher however, the truth is I would not need to stay if I didn't love it. I spend at least 50 hours a week working with students on areas of improvement (often including lunch) but I enjoy it. The difference between our school and others is that we are supported by our principal which encourages us to work harder. Like any review there will be more negatives then positives due to the need to get out anger. I can say that teachers are dealt with when parent complaints arrive but it is never a public event which is how it should be and why the few bad reviews complain that is was never acknowledged. With 452 students, we are bound to have a few upset parents as all students are not the same and some students receive necessary discipline that parents don't agree with just like any other school. I hope all readers realize there is always another side of each story. Parents do walk-throughs every day, so you can see each teacher in a real unscripted classroom lesson. Seeing is believing.

Posted January 27, 2015
My child started Kindergarten at Val Vista Academy this year (2014/2015) and I am more than pleased with the school. My child is on the young side compared to the other kindergarteners and absolutely thriving. I know that there is some drama going on between staff members/ex staff members and that it may be playing out in the negative reviews that have recently been posted online. All I have to say is that Val Vista is an amazing school. Most of the staff members, including the principal and vice principal, know my child by name and always greet us with a smile. The curriculum is challenging compared to what Kindergarteners are getting at other Gilbert schools. We're looking forward to a bright future with Val Vista Academy.

Posted January 27, 2015
I am so thrilled about Val Vista Academy! This was my child's first year at this school transferring from a local elementary school. I couldn't have asked for an easier transition. The teachers and students made him feel so welcome! VVA pushes for a challenging curriculum but also makes it fun and engaging for the children in the classrooms. Classroom assignments and paperwork are not thrown in his face like the popular "traditional" schools in the area and homework in the lower grades isn't too hefty. (There is a life outside of homework!) In regards to curriculum, I know that VVA is more challenging, yet age appropriate vs local public schools. My child is LOVING school, comes home and can't wait to tell me about his day, which was non-existent from last year. So far, I LOVE VVA!

Val Vista Academy 4

Posted January 26, 2015
I am a hard working mother with a son who goes to Val Vista. And I am appalled at all the previous comments; not surprised, but upset. This school has been wonderful for my son who has had trouble in math, specifically. His teacher has spent free after school time with him to get better. To all you parents who don't work and take time to write bad reviews, why don't you volunteer at the school and help Instead of complain?!!!!! My son's teacher told me there is not much help from other parents. it's a great school and only has room to grow.

Val Vista Academy 1

Posted January 25, 2015
As a parent who's child has spent most of this year being harassed by another child in their class I can attest to the fact that this school does have a problem with bullying and while the teacher did try and correct the problem she is limited and the principal doesn't seem to want to bother with the problem. It breaks my heart that a school with so much potential has such poor leadership. Unfortunately my family will not be returning to VVA next year unless there is a change in Leadership.

Val Vista Academy
4120 S. Val Vista Dr., Gilbert, AZ  85297
Last modified Val Vista Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Val Vista Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top