Finley Farms Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 829 students

Posted September 12, 2014

Finley Farms Elementary is a very warm and welcoming environment. it is an excellent school and all faculty and staff work together as a team and follow the directives set forth by the principal, Mr. Maas. In response to the previous comment, they DO have recess. And even on rainy days or high heat advisory days, the students are their top concern and the kids stay inside to watch movies or play games, but they still have a break from their classroom studies. Our student has been here since Kindergarten and we have loved all of her teachers and with the curriculum, we feel she will be well prepared to move on in her educational career.

Posted September 26, 2013

This will be my daughter's 3rd year at Finley farms at first I was on the fence about the teaching and how the school runs but its growing on me. I have other stories on other schools and im glad my daughter is here. I dont like that there is no recess and they have alot of homework and reading. My daughter is smart and I am greatfull but sometimes I feel like she needs a break to be a kid.

Posted June 13, 2012

I am continuously amazed by this school. The principal is very involved in daily happenings and makes efforts to get to know each student. The teachers partner with parents to ensure the success of the class. The students are friendly and well rounded. When incidents do arise, they are handled swiftly and professionally. Selecting this school has been one of the best decisions I have ever made for my children.

Posted August 20, 2011

Both me and my younger sibling attended Finley Farms (I had previously attended Islands Elementary, an experience I do not miss). I'm a college student now, but I remember the school with a general fondness and felt that they deserve a review. There are several factors that remain ingrained in my mind. 1) Excellent principal. My parents may not have gotten good feedback from several of my teachers, but always managed to get what they needed by directly approaching the principal. 2) I had some incidents with a 6th grade teacher due to favoritism, and my brother had several issues with kindergarten, 4th and 6th grade teachers. But in retrospect, we realize that most of our teachers had our best interests in heart and tried their best with us. I know if not for the persistence of a few, I would not have become the student I am today. 3) Strong extracurricular involvement of students, and esspecially EXCELLENT band program. Seriously, see if you can find anything on youtube.

Posted January 14, 2011

Half-Day Kindergarten (Mrs. Callan) is the best, by far! The school is usually pretty clean. The staff if friendly... but the best part of the school is the Kindergarten. They are all amazing... but especially Mrs. Callan. If you're considering a half-day kindergarten for your child, FF is definitely the place to go! :-)

Posted October 22, 2010

I love this school! I've had children in this school for 8 years and counting and I've found that the principal, Mr. Maas, as well as his front office staff, are caring and genuine. The faculty address problems quickly and efficiently and the principal is very involved with his students. I would highly recommend this school to anyone!

Posted October 22, 2009

If I could, I would give FFE 10 stars! We have been a FFE Family since 1999..having at least one child in attendance there in each of the successive years since moving to Gilbert. Mr. Maas is the hardest working, most involved Principal I have ever had the pleasure of working with...as well as the best that any of our friends, and church family has ever spoken of. It is truly no wonder why the housing areas zoned for FFE are so highly desirable! The families living with in the bounds have the greatest Elementary School in the East Valley! Go Falcons!

Posted February 8, 2009

My son has attended three schools in Gilbert. This is by far the best. The Principal is worth every penny they pay him. He is very involved with the children - does crosswalk duty, greets the kids, works the lunchroom. The teachers are wonderful. My son is very happy at this school and we are happy to have him attend. The staff actually listens when there is a concern and doesn't just push their opinion ahead of the parents. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted February 7, 2009

This school is the one of the worst I have ever seen. We sent our child to this school based on the reviews we saw on this site, but the reality is very different. Our childs teacher is verbally abusive, desplays favoritism on a scale we have never seen, and reserves scorn for the children that the teacher deems as bad kids. Our child had great grades and no behavioral issues at a previous Gilbert public schoold, but now.... We are very involved parents and we believe that someone needs to look into the behavior of certain staff members.

Posted December 23, 2008

My son was in Basic Charter for a month when we moved here and once we moved we put him in Finley Farm Elementary 'FFE' and I have to say it was the BEST thing we ever did. Basic Charter was a great school but VERY LIMITED. That is not to say it wasn't a great school but because of their size if you kid is having the slightest issue or needs some extra help forget about it. Basically it's seen that he/she is holding things up. My son is done terrific here. The homework is realistic for his age, they have great activity and balance in their day. He is learning a great deal in this school and I am so thankful for all those who work there. It is tops for our family!

Posted November 7, 2008

I love this school!! The principle is wonderful & knows my kids by their names, and so far all the teacher my kids have had are wonderful!!! Thanks to all them- Mes Sissler,Mrs. Callan,Mrs. K,Mrs Pollack, & Mrs. Bottomfield!!!! Also to Mrs. Werh (speech, sorry don't know how to spell it)

Posted July 25, 2008

The principle is wonderful with children as are some of the teachers. Its seems as though too many of the teachers are able to get away with verbally abusing students. Be watchful of this behavior.

Posted May 21, 2008

I have one child who went to Finley K thru 6 and we had exceptional teachers every year. I have one child currently attending in the primary grades and currently has an excellent teacher in second grade. Although I believe the first grade teacher my child had was downright awful and should NOT be teaching at all. Hopefully that was a one time deal. I think getting good, quality teachers now is hard. I prefer the seasoned, experienced teachers to the new ones. Finley has a mixture of both, but overall with the exception of one teacher, all is good. Principal is good w/kids but seems soft on staff. Still think it's a great school and we are happy with the education our child had/has. So much does depend on the child. Good kid, it's usually a good experience. Bad kid, bad experience. Some parents don't see that.

Posted April 29, 2008

My son has went to Finley Farms Elementary for 4 yrs now. I think it is a wonderful school and both our son and us as parents adore the principle and staff. We were thinking about moving closer to my husbands work and decided not to because of the school and the fact that our son LOVES it there. I am always impressed with the envolvement with both staff and parents.

Posted January 25, 2008

I've had 2 of my 3 children at Finley Farms and then we had to move to Higley school district which was a big mistake! We are moving back home to Finley and Greenfield Jr where the teachers are phenominal, Mr Maas is hands down the best principal I've ever met in my 38 yrs. We will never move our children again.

Posted October 29, 2007

The principal will not return phone calls, the office staff is rude. We will switch schools.

Posted August 28, 2007

I have had three students at Finley Farms. Most of our teachers were outstanding. There were a couple that we had to work with to get what our child needed. But overall the teachers truly care for their students and the outcome of their education. The principal is very genuine with the students. He truly loves his job. There are time the discipline could be a little more direct but with 900 students, what can one expect.

Posted June 4, 2007

We have had no problems with teachers at Finley Farms. My son was in 2nd grade this year having academic issues. His teacher did everything she could to help and his grades came up! Unfortunately, it's the office staff that is not very friendly. The person at the front desk, greeting the visitors and parents, is especially unfriendly. You would think for PR purposes a school would have a friendly smile when somebody new walks into the school. I asked and asked to volunteer and nobody called or emailed me.

Posted May 29, 2007

Finley Farms is a good school because of the children and their desire to learn. Some teachers are excellent at what they do and there are others who pick up a paycheck. The school has adequate parent involvement, it can always be better, unfortunately it is the dislike of the princiapl that keeps parents away.

Posted March 26, 2007

My daughter began attending Finley Farms in November. I was hesitant at switching her school so late in the semester-but I am so glad that I did!Mrs. McGettigan is terrific and genuinely cares for and understands each child. My daughter went from 'getting in trouble' at her previous school on a daily basis to earning the star student at her new school. Her behavior has improved tremendously at home and at school. All she needed was a little understanding and room to grow and play--her last school was a charter school. It pays to research your schools before enrolling-and Finley Farms is the best!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

375 S. Columbus Drive