Gilbert, AZ
Students enrolled: 2,926

Highland High School 5

Posted June 22, 2014
This is a great school! The academics are fantastic and there are so many opportunities. Because the school is fairly large you can pick from a big and diverse elective pool. As to the "Mormon bias" I don't see it as often as the comments say. Most of the time kids use the Mormon bias as an excuse to there parents when they mess up. Even if you're not Mormon (like me), there are many benefits from being in a religiously influenced school, it reduces the rate of crime, drug use and fights! Highland is a great school! Because of HHS I will be attending Harvard in the Fall of 2014!

Highland High School 3

Posted February 13, 2014
This is a very good school academically and the music program is wonderful, however, there is a lot of Mormon favoritism in regard to sports and other activities. My child has had to experience first hand this religious bias. Even when it comes to dating or going out with a large group of kids my clean cut, church going, high achieving son has been discriminated against. I suppose if a student IS Mormon they would not notice the LDS preference but if you're not it is sadly obvious. He has asked to go elsewhere next year.

Highland High School 5

Posted January 26, 2014
Our daughter is a sophomore at Highland and we are extremely pleased with how happy she is there. The fact that we have no particular religious affiliation has never been an issue. My daughter participates in some of the many sports and clubs Highland has to offer. We highly recommend this school! Also to note, our son attends Highland Junior...another school in our district with which we are just as pleased.

Posted January 05, 2014
I am currently a student here at highland high school and my freshman year here was incredible! I loved all the amazing clubs and teams I was able to join a totally different experience than junior high! BUT when I started my sophmore year this past August, everything changed. I find highland very religious. If you are not LDS (Mormon) you are an outcast in most cases. I have had my teachers even ask who is mormon in the class! Although, there are many people of different faiths who will eventually "clique" with, I found myself confused on why I was feeling so left out. The curriculum also changed quite a bit! And more than half of the math teachers have strong accents and speak very poor english which makes it very difficult to understand. We no longer have half days but instead get released at 1:30 every Wednesday which is difficult for those of us involved in sports because we have to get transportation back to the school at 3 for practice. Overall, I find highland very "cliquey" and judgmental.

Highland High School 4

Posted December 11, 2013
We are new in the area. Our children attend both the Highland Junior high, and the high school. My junior high son is involved in sports and band, and has established a number of friends! My daughter is doing very well at the high school. No we are not Mormons but I sure don't mind them! They are great neighbors! The AP history teacher has some strange teaching methods. We do have some amazing teachers, and a few who should be observed without advanced noticed. Overall, we are very happy to be here! We came from out of state from an extremely competitive school and the Highland schools are right up there! We do recommend our school here in Gilbert!

Posted May 17, 2013
I have not had the best interactions with the counseling department or a few of the teachers. There is a mormon bias at this school. Those who say there isn't are mormons. My daughter and I were at orientation right b4 school started,my daughter received a lunch hour that none of her friends had. She was upset I toldher that it was ok. The counselor had just told us that he could not change it because it was too late. I understood. As we were walking out another new student walked up to the same counselor & said I need to change my lunch because my friends from our ward are in a different lunch then me and I want to be with my friends. They started chatting about mutual friends in the ward that they attended together. He said to her hold on, I will be back. He changed this girls lunch. I heard the whole thing, it was to be with her friends. They went to the same ward. After the girl left, I asked the counselor how that just happened and did my daughter need to be mormon to change her lunch? I called him out. Handed him my daughters schedule and said my daughter wanted the other lunch. Without a word he changed my daughters schedule. He knew he was just biased to the mormon kid.

Highland High School 1

Posted May 07, 2013
HHS isn't a welcoming place nor is it academically challanging. My student has learning disabilites and rather than make accommodations and have him take regular classes, as he had done in 8th grade they placed him in all Special education classes. EVEN THOUGH that is a direct violation of IDEA (ie federal law). He has learned nothing this school year, rarely has any homework (usually busywork like crossword puzzles). He never has to study and yet he has all A's and B's. When he tried to get placed in harder classes, the couselor refused. She has also refused to let him take a foreign language when planning for next year, even though it is required for college admission. They have decided that even though my son is smart, because he has LD's he won't be able to go to college. The couselor told him he "would be going straight into the military" even though he has said he does not want to do that. He even has a teacher who will end class early if the students are being disruptive. As far as being "Excelling", one has to remember that in education, Arizona ranks about 45th in the country (depending on the year & what exactly is rated). So HHS is only better than 10% of USA's schools.

Posted March 03, 2013
I am currently a freshman at highland high school and I would not recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a challenging education. The teachers at this school will only teach your child the bare minimum and only what will be on the AIMS test. The teachers only care about what's best for your child because the teacher who gets the highest test scores will get extra money. Also, when a student isn't comprehending the topic being taught, the teacher will drop all their plans and stretch the topic until that one student gets it. This can be good or bad depending on if your child is a slow learner, in which case, this is the school for you. Another problem this school has is that students have ADHD and the teachers make no effort to help them. Also, the school takes way too many boundary exceptions. Class sizes have risen from 24 people to a class to more than thirty. If your child has a hard time focusing in class, do not send them here. Lastly, school food quality has decreased dramatically. The school orders the food from different places, freeze them, then reheat when the food is needed. Sometimes the food is not fully defrosted and is cold on the inside.

Highland High School 1

Posted February 24, 2013
i disagree with the high rate that this school have, this school get the easy way comparing with others schools. they don't enroll students with low grades or students with special education needs. from here you can't compare this school against the others. i tryed to enroll my daughter on this school but they don't admitted her because she has low grades and they told me that we need to go to another school. we went to gilbert high school and they make a very good plan for my daughter and she graduate on time from this school. i'm very grateful for the hard work gilbert high school did with my daughter. since i know how highland enroll the students. i say they never deserve to compare them with another real high schools. highland has a fake high rate. they do nothing. they only admit students with high grades; therefore those students with highland or without highland will graduate for their self.

Highland High School 3

Posted December 01, 2012
I am alumni at this school and I say it was average at most. There was a bullying problem and most of the faculty were ignorant of it. I read reviews about Mormon bias, and sadly it was true. A few of my teachers made me very uncomfortable for not fitting in with the majority of my peers who are Mormon. LGBTQs and other minorities weren't consider apart of the school community by students. I also felt my mild disabilities weren't taken as serious and were seen as a joke. They didn't take any news about suicidal students seriously as well. One student mentioned that they were students trying to convert, that happened to me as well. If I could go back in time, I would have begged to go to Gilbert High School instead just for diversity alone. High school is not just for academics, it is to learn about others and how you contribute to the whole. Highland just taught me that I was a terrible person for being different in some minor detail and it took me a long time to feel like I am a good person.

Highland High School
4301 East Guadalupe Road, Gilbert, AZ  85234
Last modified Highland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 102 reviews. Top