Islands Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 611 students

Posted January 12, 2014

In response to the January 9, 2014 review, very sorry to hear about your experience at Islands Elementary School. I am also a parent of a second grade student at Islands this year. Our child's teacher is experienced, hard working and diligent, professional, and an excellent communicator. The principal and the teacher are very easy to work with and have responded immediately to any of our concerns. Curriculum has been at or above grade level and our child has not been bored. We have been very pleased with Islands. Perhaps your experience is not representative of the other teachers and administration. I urge you to contact the principal and perhaps consult with the school social worker, two excellent resources.

Posted January 9, 2014

I recently moved to Arizona and this is the first school I enrolled my second grader to. I have to say the teacher does not like when parents are concerned with their children's well being. My son has been mistreated multiple times in this school by his peers and when I address it to the teacher she seems not to care much as well as having a lot of issue's with doing any work on her part. She is very lazy. She tries to always find something negative about my son instead of stating positives. My son has top reading scores and in our previous State he was above average and was tested about average here and the books he is reading are books he read in the beginning of 1st grade. He says its to boring and is not being challenged enough to his potential. When that was brought to her attention she said there is nothing she can do. I'm looking on relocating him to another school.

Posted August 19, 2013

After a move last, we sent our son to Islands Elementary near our new home. He was warmly welcomed, met some fantastic friends, and quickly became involved in school activities (spelling bee, sports, student council) Our experience has only been positive. The teacher for gifted students remains passionate about his work since starting when the school was built 25 years ago. The kids love him. Our regular classroom teacher was a delight to work with as well. I've noticed that the principal is one who spends time among the children and knows their names. Even the PTSO is great, with some super-capable mothers in charge. I see great value in kids from the same neighborhood going to the same neighborhood school, as it builds a network of friends who will support each other at school, at the park, at each others' homes, and through high school. Two thumbs up, as they say, for Islands Elementary and the good things they have going there.

Posted April 7, 2013

Islands Elementary School is a clean, pleasant school in a great location. Class sizes are larger than expected for primary grades making it difficult for some teachers to differentiate instruction for all student levels. A licensed clinical social worker is on staff and is accessible to all students and provides classroom guidance lessons to Kindergarten and short-term evening parenting classes. There are no school guidance counselors. The before/after school program is awesome and kids really love being at V.I.K. The after school extracurricular offerings are extremely limited compared to other east valley schools. PTA meets too early for working parents to be involved. Teachers are accessible via voice mail and email. The music teacher is nationally board certified and has been teaching at Islands since the opening of the school. Our child has shown tremendous academic growth and is above grade level in all subjects especially reading and math. We would have preferred more intensive homework, classroom guidance lessons in all grades, and more emphasis and time on science. Overall, though, we are pleased and our child really loves being a Dolphin!

Posted November 26, 2010

Great staff, horrible class size for second grade this year...curriculum is great - best in the area, however, they teach in too many different ways 9specifically the second grade this year). Office staff are not very pleasant or friendly, except for the principal. One of my children is Autistic. Mrs Rush and her staff are excellent with Special Needs. She and her staff really care about individual progress, IEP goals, and the speech teacher is EXCELLENT! If you have a child with special needs, this is the best school in Gilbert....however, the regular classes are too crowded, too many lil bullies and too many fundraisers.....otherwise- its a good school>

Posted October 20, 2010

If we could do it over we would not have our child at Islands. Unfriendly staff and a complete disregard for students well being. I watch kids man handle eachother in the morning while several teachers engage eachother.

Posted October 19, 2010

Islands elementary is a great school it has the feel of safe and caring environment, which is very important. The principle the teachers and the whole staff are great.

Posted May 5, 2010

Because they have the best staff in Gilbert. They are always going out of their way to do great things for the kids. They seem to take more time to help make sure they understand. Unlike middle school and high school where they seem to be just a number.

Posted April 27, 2010

This school is outstanding. The teachers are so cheerful and care so much about the kids. They go above and beyond their regular work day.

Posted September 23, 2009

We just moved to AZ and my children love their new school. The teachers and staff are all very friendly. My only concern so far is the large class sizes. My second grader's class has 27 students . He's getting a bit lost in the shuffle.

Posted December 5, 2008

Islands Elementary has been a dream. My daughter is in Kindergarten. Her teacher is Mrs. Shafer. She is so wonderful. She is loving, but also doesn't let them get away with misbehaving. They have a great system in the classroom. My daughter has learned so much responsibility. It is December and she is reading what I think are very advanced books. She went in there not knowing how to read. Mr. O'neil the principal is great. He is very involved with every aspect of the school. The kids LOVE him! What can I say, i feel very blessed to have my daughter go to such a wonderful school!

Posted August 25, 2008

The kindergarten teachers are incredible. Mrs. Berry is a dream...she's caring, but firm, and the children all adore her. She says things like she is allergic to scribbling...how cute! She promoted a complete sense of community...you were always welcome to visit. I knew exactly what my child was doing in school from being there and from the wonderful newsletters. My child bloomed...the result of a great team!

Posted March 12, 2008

My daughter and I just moved to Az this sumer and I was very fearful how she would adapt to a new school environment. Islands put my fears to rest. Her fifth greade teacher is fantastic, my favorite teacher she has ever had. I love that I can see my daughters scores online, which are updated by her teacher regulary. Children are given recognition for good behavior, which promotes and orderly classroom. The only drawback I would say is that the office staff is not very friendly. I tend to look past it since I feel like my child is getting such a great education.

Posted March 7, 2008

I have found (for many years now) that teachers give all their attention to those students who 'act out.' Teachers provide little to those who excel and even less to those kids who are 'average.' My child's interest in school is waning due to the high volume of meaningless busy work that does not challenge her toward higher level thinking. She is bored and in her words 'invisible' to her teacher. Parent-teacher communication is delayed. Scores on spelling tests and other assignments are not revealed until nearly one month after they were assigned. I find the school to be willing to endlessly take everything I have to offer; my time, money, and resources. When it comes time to take a little constructive criticism or answer questions from parents, the reaction is extremely defensive.

Posted January 30, 2008

I like this shool. The kindergarden teachers are awesome and really care about the kids. I think the communication between parents and teachers is good. I do get sick of all of the stuff that the kids get sent home to sell. Overall a good school.

Posted November 13, 2007

I appreciate all of the extra effort given by the teachers at Islands. My children have attended Islands for years, and I am continually impressed and thankful for this school. This year my student is involved in an oceanography club after school that is sponsored by the 5th and 6th grade teachers. My child loves this extracurricular activity, and I am grateful for the extra time and work that these teachers invest. Islands is an excellent school that for the fourth year in a row has recieved an excelling grade from the state.

Posted October 25, 2007

I have been going to Islands Elementary since I was in 3rd grade.I love this school,and I'm going to miss my teachers when I go to Junior High next year.The teachers here a great,and they really do care.The principal does a great job,but I believe that the teachers do a better job.The sports,art,and music teachers really exceed standards.There are so many parents involved that I can't go two hours of school without seeing a parent helping out in the office or hanging up streamers,or passing out flyers for an extracurricular activity.I recommend this school to anyone and everyone.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 30, 2007

Islands is an amazing school. Teachers in all grades really care about each and every one of their students. MOST parents are very positive and support their children and the teachers that dedicate themselves to excellence. I feel that the team of 6th grade teachers do everything they can to make learning fun while meeting the diverse needs of every child in a safe and structured environment!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 10, 2007

My last child just finished his 6th grade year at Islands. I feel that as a whole the school has gone down hill over the last few years. I'm glad that the school year is over. I wouldn't reccomend this school to anybody.

Posted May 4, 2007

I've had kids at Islands for almost a decade, and my satisfaction with the school has plummetted. The administration is out of touch, and certain grades, especially 6th, do a horrible job of discipline and handing conflict. All of the kids know who the teacher favorites are, and that's just not a good thing. I wish I'd transferred my kids out 2 years ago.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

• Chris Birgen, Principal
Fax number
  • (480) 813-6809

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now