Gilbert, AZ

Islands Elementary School 4

Posted January 12, 2014
In response to the January 9, 2014 review, very sorry to hear about your experience at Islands Elementary School. I am also a parent of a second grade student at Islands this year. Our child's teacher is experienced, hard working and diligent, professional, and an excellent communicator. The principal and the teacher are very easy to work with and have responded immediately to any of our concerns. Curriculum has been at or above grade level and our child has not been bored. We have been very pleased with Islands. Perhaps your experience is not representative of the other teachers and administration. I urge you to contact the principal and perhaps consult with the school social worker, two excellent resources.

Islands Elementary School 1

Posted January 09, 2014
I recently moved to Arizona and this is the first school I enrolled my second grader to. I have to say the teacher does not like when parents are concerned with their children's well being. My son has been mistreated multiple times in this school by his peers and when I address it to the teacher she seems not to care much as well as having a lot of issue's with doing any work on her part. She is very lazy. She tries to always find something negative about my son instead of stating positives. My son has top reading scores and in our previous State he was above average and was tested about average here and the books he is reading are books he read in the beginning of 1st grade. He says its to boring and is not being challenged enough to his potential. When that was brought to her attention she said there is nothing she can do. I'm looking on relocating him to another school.

Posted August 19, 2013
After a move last, we sent our son to Islands Elementary near our new home. He was warmly welcomed, met some fantastic friends, and quickly became involved in school activities (spelling bee, sports, student council) Our experience has only been positive. The teacher for gifted students remains passionate about his work since starting when the school was built 25 years ago. The kids love him. Our regular classroom teacher was a delight to work with as well. I've noticed that the principal is one who spends time among the children and knows their names. Even the PTSO is great, with some super-capable mothers in charge. I see great value in kids from the same neighborhood going to the same neighborhood school, as it builds a network of friends who will support each other at school, at the park, at each others' homes, and through high school. Two thumbs up, as they say, for Islands Elementary and the good things they have going there.

Islands Elementary School 4

Posted April 07, 2013
Islands Elementary School is a clean, pleasant school in a great location. Class sizes are larger than expected for primary grades making it difficult for some teachers to differentiate instruction for all student levels. A licensed clinical social worker is on staff and is accessible to all students and provides classroom guidance lessons to Kindergarten and short-term evening parenting classes. There are no school guidance counselors. The before/after school program is awesome and kids really love being at V.I.K. The after school extracurricular offerings are extremely limited compared to other east valley schools. PTA meets too early for working parents to be involved. Teachers are accessible via voice mail and email. The music teacher is nationally board certified and has been teaching at Islands since the opening of the school. Our child has shown tremendous academic growth and is above grade level in all subjects especially reading and math. We would have preferred more intensive homework, classroom guidance lessons in all grades, and more emphasis and time on science. Overall, though, we are pleased and our child really loves being a Dolphin!

Islands Elementary School 2

Posted November 26, 2010
Great staff, horrible class size for second grade this year...curriculum is great - best in the area, however, they teach in too many different ways 9specifically the second grade this year). Office staff are not very pleasant or friendly, except for the principal. One of my children is Autistic. Mrs Rush and her staff are excellent with Special Needs. She and her staff really care about individual progress, IEP goals, and the speech teacher is EXCELLENT! If you have a child with special needs, this is the best school in Gilbert....however, the regular classes are too crowded, too many lil bullies and too many fundraisers.....otherwise- its a good school>

Islands Elementary School 1

Posted October 20, 2010
If we could do it over we would not have our child at Islands. Unfriendly staff and a complete disregard for students well being. I watch kids man handle eachother in the morning while several teachers engage eachother.

Posted October 19, 2010
Islands elementary is a great school it has the feel of safe and caring environment, which is very important. The principle the teachers and the whole staff are great.

Posted May 05, 2010
Because they have the best staff in Gilbert. They are always going out of their way to do great things for the kids. They seem to take more time to help make sure they understand. Unlike middle school and high school where they seem to be just a number.

Posted April 27, 2010
This school is outstanding. The teachers are so cheerful and care so much about the kids. They go above and beyond their regular work day.

Islands Elementary School 0

Posted September 23, 2009
We just moved to AZ and my children love their new school. The teachers and staff are all very friendly. My only concern so far is the large class sizes. My second grader's class has 27 students . He's getting a bit lost in the shuffle.

Islands Elementary School
245 South McQueen Road, Gilbert, AZ  85233
Last modified Islands Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Islands Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top