Mesquite High School

Public | 9-12 | 2169 students

Posted April 16, 2014

I'm a parent of a freshman who attends Mesquite High School. I drive my son to school every morning for his zero hour Jazz Band class (Mr. Davenport), even though our district high school is a stone throw away. I would not have it any other way! The new band Director, Davenport, is very dedicated and he's been an inspiring role model for my son, who now has a deep passion and love for music. Mesquite High also offers Aerospace Engineering classes taught by an instructor who works in the field. The teachers are very professional and they put student-learning as their top priority. Expectations are high and my son is being challenged. My son has many new friends who are great kids! I have never heard of bullying being an issue at Mesquite High. My only (huge) concern is the budget cuts being implemented, which will negatively affect the music and performing art programs. Parent involvement is a must if your child wants to be in Marching Band, Drumline, and/or Guard, working as fundraisers to cover expenses that are no longer paid for, as a result of these budget cuts.

Posted January 12, 2014

Mesquite is a very good school if your child wants to be in a big school or are used to that environment. If they are used to small schools I would not recommend sending them to this school. As it can be very overwhelming. But this school is very welcoming with great education and fantastic peers.

Posted December 14, 2013

Mesquite High School How about Varsity Football this year!!! This school succeeds academically, athletically, and now their band rocks, with Mr. Davenport as their new Band Director! As a parent of a freshman student at Mesquite I rarely hear of bullying or problems in the courtyard. All of my son's teachers are respectful, professional, and they care. The Administrators are more supportive of their teachers than I have found in other school districts. I'm happy to have moved my son from our District High School, and placed him at Mesquite High.

Posted May 17, 2013

My son goes to Mesquite High School and I think its an excellent school. I think that they're on top of schedule and that they're schedule is very strict. Students need to be dependent and be responsible for their schedule and duties because when they have already grown up they know what they're goal is and they have to be dependent.

Posted January 29, 2012

Good school but there are some problems they seem to have. I have been in Mesquite 3 years now, and I have had a great experience, the teachers are great and the school is nicely run. The problem I have, is I have chronic Bronchitis and Pneumonia, being hit with Pneumonia caused me to miss 3 weeks of school. I had doctors notes instructing my not to go to school, yet, when I was well again, they wanted to fail me right then and there. I had to get my parents to convince them that it was not my fault, because I have chronic health problems. They were stubborn and would not budge, even though I went in every day after school to make up work. It took constant work, but they finally let me pass.. They also have a problem with their bully system. Even though I have not been bullied myself, I notice that the school doesn't support you fighting back, as if they expect you to just take it. This is what happened with one of my friends, who was suspended for 3 weeks, on fighting back against a bully... And they also don't do much about them, another one of my friends, was so tormented by a bully, she transferred out, because the school did nothing. Other than that, nice teachers, and school.

Posted April 5, 2011

School is great, teachers help me even though I have health problems and miss many days of school. I rarely see fights and there are many fun activities that they put on. I am glad that the teachers teach me to be responsible so I do not become lazy in work in the future. Also this school is challenging So, to sum things up, great school.

Posted March 24, 2011

This is our first year in Gilbert schools, moving from Mesa. For the most part, this school is great. All but one of my Freshman's teachers are great. That one teacher has been a bit of a challenge and getting the administration to help has also been a challenge. There is no way to directly contact the administrators, you have to contact them through their assistants. When you do get a hold of them, they have a "my word is the final word" attitude and is quite discouraging. BUT...overall, the teachers are wonderful there!

Posted August 3, 2010

As a student, I absolutely love this school from the teachers, students, and other faculty members to the building and learning environment itself. I wouldn't want to learn any other way! The teachers are amazing and connect with each of their students and even ones that aren't theirs! They STRIVE to make learning fun, even through the hard economic times. All students at this school are very easy to approach and make friends with. The word "clique" seems like it does not exist at at this school! It's amazing. But with every school there is a set back, the administration. As a whole they are ignorant to parent and student needs. They are disrespectful to parents AND teachers in front of students. They are also IMPOSSIBLE to get in contact with. The principal herself is always in her office and rarely seen around campus, classrooms, or at school

Posted July 23, 2010

We just had our oldest son graduate from this school and it was a very good experience. Excellent teachers...great class choices and safe.

Posted May 11, 2010

Mesquite HS is the worst of the Gilbert High Schools. I've talked to students and parents at other Gilbert High Schools who love their school. My last child will be graduating from Mesquite this year and I will be done with this place. The staff is rude and unhelpful and you can never get in contact with the administration. The atmosphere among the students is viscious. It saddens me when I talk to so many students who hate this school and their experience. I believe this must be due to complete incompetance among the administration. Every year they do stupid things to intensionally annoy students. Last year they repeatedly played an obnoxious song between every class until the students coughed up enough money to make it stop. This year, they make you wait for your yearbook unless you give them a $2 bribe to get it.

Posted October 3, 2009

I have a great appreciation for many of my daughters teachers--in particular, her English teacher, her AP Ecology teacher, her Art teacher, her Math teacher, her World Studies teacher, and her French teacher. My daughter is a brain cancer survivor who has undergone 2 surgeries and chemotherapy before the age of 14. She is missing half of her vision in both her eyes (although you wouldn't know it by looking at her). Her teachers work with me to understand and accommodate her limitations, and because my daughter is so driven to do her best, her efforts are paying off. She currently has all A's in her classes. Her ultimate goal is to earn scholarships to get her through her college years, and she hopes to become a children's book author and illustrator. Sometimes, I think, public schools get a bad rap. The truth of the matter is that your education--no matter where you get it from--is what you make it to be. Certainly, it is a team effort, between parents, teachers, administrators, and students. Having been through the worst with my son, I am now enjoying the best with my daughter. I think the key is this: everyone pulls together, and nobody has the right to slide or to give up.

Posted September 16, 2009

Have twins that are sophmores. Excellent teachers and excellent administration!!!

Posted July 17, 2009

Our 3d kid, who has a form of high-functioning autism, goes to MHS & used the word 'love' for the 1st time when getting off the bus 1 day. 'I love my school!' He has been treated very well re: IEP, decisions on special vs reg ed classes. We had never had a kid in public school & had heard horror stories. MHS is huge but it doesn't faze our kid because he feels at home there. This year he did his 1st extracurricular activity, robotics. The team did well & he made friends. Down side: not as academically rigorous as I'd like, altho his test scores from other schools are ++ high he can't take honors courses because he can't pass MHS's acceptance test, which is timed & they refuse accommodations allowed in IEP (more time on tests). Few AP classes. Gilbert grad standards lower even than ASU admission reqs.

Posted May 19, 2009

I'm a junior, getting ready to be a senior at Mesquite. All I can say is, that this school is amazing. I wouldn't have it any other way. I seriously cannot wait until senior year!

Posted October 6, 2008

I have a sophmore at this school,he does not feel comfortable to ask for help,he has asked several times and non yet,as a freshmen he asked for help ,did not get it and fell behind 3 classes,so what can be done. This is what the teachers are there for isnt it,if there were less students in classes,maybe it wouldnt be so hard for teachers and students that require a little extra help.

Posted September 29, 2008

I have a senior at MHS and will have a freshman next year. I am very happy with the programs at Mesquite. My son took three AP classes last year, and passed the AP exam with a 4 on two exams, and a 5 on the 3rd. He's enrolled in 3 more AP classes this year. The science programs are excellent, and the music program is first rate. I'm also very impressed with the Broadcast and New Media programs at the school, which my younger son has shown some interest. The students have set up weekly broadcasts of MHS sporting events, streamed Live on the web, complete with multiple camera angles and commentary. Their math programs compete and win every year in statewide math competitions. Bottom line, MHS is a fantastic school, one we parents are very proud of.

Posted May 29, 2008

I am starting my second year at Mesquite High School. I really like the atmosphere at Mesquite. All of my teachers have been very kind, well most of them. I haven't had a problem with Mesquite.

Posted April 21, 2008

I am a first year parent to Mesquite High School. We are transferrring from Desert Ridge which is a newer school and has a more family feel about the student body. I feel this was due to the staff. Mesquite's faculty tend to be less encouraging in most situations. My child is taking AP classes, honors classes and some regular classes. I do feel that some of the teachers should retire because they are no longer sensitive to the needs or feelings of the students they are hired to help. They have probably burned out and if you are considering this school be advised that they have heard every 'excuse' and often turn a deaf ear. This is devestating for over achievers who have come to a place where they are struggling with a subject where school has been easy. For your average students they will do fine.

Posted January 3, 2008

I graduated from Mesquite in 2007 and enjoyed the four years I spent there. The teachers I was involved with were awesome. As with any school, there are some staff and programming issues, but for the most part, Mesquite provides a great and safe learning environment.

Posted November 10, 2007

My son is in 10th Grade at Mesquite and we love it! He has wonderful teachers who are really dedicated and interested in the well being of their students. We had some doubts when he started last year as a Freshman because there are so many kids, but his teachers have been so awesome. Thanks Mesquite Staff!!

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)