Gilbert, AZ
Students enrolled: 2,169

Posted April 16, 2014
I'm a parent of a freshman who attends Mesquite High School. I drive my son to school every morning for his zero hour Jazz Band class (Mr. Davenport), even though our district high school is a stone throw away. I would not have it any other way! The new band Director, Davenport, is very dedicated and he's been an inspiring role model for my son, who now has a deep passion and love for music. Mesquite High also offers Aerospace Engineering classes taught by an instructor who works in the field. The teachers are very professional and they put student-learning as their top priority. Expectations are high and my son is being challenged. My son has many new friends who are great kids! I have never heard of bullying being an issue at Mesquite High. My only (huge) concern is the budget cuts being implemented, which will negatively affect the music and performing art programs. Parent involvement is a must if your child wants to be in Marching Band, Drumline, and/or Guard, working as fundraisers to cover expenses that are no longer paid for, as a result of these budget cuts.

Mesquite High School 3

Posted January 12, 2014
Mesquite is a very good school if your child wants to be in a big school or are used to that environment. If they are used to small schools I would not recommend sending them to this school. As it can be very overwhelming. But this school is very welcoming with great education and fantastic peers.

Posted December 14, 2013
Mesquite High School How about Varsity Football this year!!! This school succeeds academically, athletically, and now their band rocks, with Mr. Davenport as their new Band Director! As a parent of a freshman student at Mesquite I rarely hear of bullying or problems in the courtyard. All of my son's teachers are respectful, professional, and they care. The Administrators are more supportive of their teachers than I have found in other school districts. I'm happy to have moved my son from our District High School, and placed him at Mesquite High.

Posted May 17, 2013
My son goes to Mesquite High School and I think its an excellent school. I think that they're on top of schedule and that they're schedule is very strict. Students need to be dependent and be responsible for their schedule and duties because when they have already grown up they know what they're goal is and they have to be dependent.

Mesquite High School 3

Posted January 29, 2012
Good school but there are some problems they seem to have. I have been in Mesquite 3 years now, and I have had a great experience, the teachers are great and the school is nicely run. The problem I have, is I have chronic Bronchitis and Pneumonia, being hit with Pneumonia caused me to miss 3 weeks of school. I had doctors notes instructing my not to go to school, yet, when I was well again, they wanted to fail me right then and there. I had to get my parents to convince them that it was not my fault, because I have chronic health problems. They were stubborn and would not budge, even though I went in every day after school to make up work. It took constant work, but they finally let me pass.. They also have a problem with their bully system. Even though I have not been bullied myself, I notice that the school doesn't support you fighting back, as if they expect you to just take it. This is what happened with one of my friends, who was suspended for 3 weeks, on fighting back against a bully... And they also don't do much about them, another one of my friends, was so tormented by a bully, she transferred out, because the school did nothing. Other than that, nice teachers, and school.

Posted April 05, 2011
School is great, teachers help me even though I have health problems and miss many days of school. I rarely see fights and there are many fun activities that they put on. I am glad that the teachers teach me to be responsible so I do not become lazy in work in the future. Also this school is challenging So, to sum things up, great school.

Posted March 24, 2011
This is our first year in Gilbert schools, moving from Mesa. For the most part, this school is great. All but one of my Freshman's teachers are great. That one teacher has been a bit of a challenge and getting the administration to help has also been a challenge. There is no way to directly contact the administrators, you have to contact them through their assistants. When you do get a hold of them, they have a "my word is the final word" attitude and is quite discouraging. BUT...overall, the teachers are wonderful there!

Posted August 03, 2010
As a student, I absolutely love this school from the teachers, students, and other faculty members to the building and learning environment itself. I wouldn't want to learn any other way! The teachers are amazing and connect with each of their students and even ones that aren't theirs! They STRIVE to make learning fun, even through the hard economic times. All students at this school are very easy to approach and make friends with. The word "clique" seems like it does not exist at at this school! It's amazing. But with every school there is a set back, the administration. As a whole they are ignorant to parent and student needs. They are disrespectful to parents AND teachers in front of students. They are also IMPOSSIBLE to get in contact with. The principal herself is always in her office and rarely seen around campus, classrooms, or at school

Posted July 23, 2010
We just had our oldest son graduate from this school and it was a very good experience. Excellent teachers...great class choices and safe.

Mesquite High School 1

Posted May 11, 2010
Mesquite HS is the worst of the Gilbert High Schools. I've talked to students and parents at other Gilbert High Schools who love their school. My last child will be graduating from Mesquite this year and I will be done with this place. The staff is rude and unhelpful and you can never get in contact with the administration. The atmosphere among the students is viscious. It saddens me when I talk to so many students who hate this school and their experience. I believe this must be due to complete incompetance among the administration. Every year they do stupid things to intensionally annoy students. Last year they repeatedly played an obnoxious song between every class until the students coughed up enough money to make it stop. This year, they make you wait for your yearbook unless you give them a $2 bribe to get it.

Mesquite High School
500 S McQueen Rd, Gilbert, AZ  85233
Last modified Mesquite High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mesquite High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top