Bad
Good

Our children have attended Mountain Shadows elementary from K-6. While there are a few star teachers spread across grade levels, there are also some awful teachers that cast a dark shadow on the mountain and have needed to retire or be removed for some time now. Since the installment of the new principal, Ms. Gilbert, things have only seemed to decline and reinforce these awful teachers behavior. The office staff have always been a hassle to deal with and have poor attitudes. Principal Gilbert clearly shows favoritism for certain students and singles out students that do not fall into a "normal" category. She can often be found hiding in her office, instead of interacting with students and parents. Politics are in play here and she will refuse to see there is anything wrong at the school while outright ignoring parent feedback. The body language of those teachers that truly care about their students indicate they must tread a fine line with Principal Gilbert when she is around or risk retribution. Bullying by students (and a certain teacher) is hushed up and incidents at the school are regularly failing to be relayed to the parents. Replacement of the entire school administration is highly recommended. There is also a complete failure by the administrators and some teachers to show any understanding or follow educational guidelines set for our one special needs student. I am purposefully trying to be vague here, as I know if they find which parent is posting this review there will be unknown consequences. This last year has been terrible and we cannot wait for our children to be finished here.

My husband and I moved down to AZ from Shoreline Wa in December 2014. We had arrived to a very pleasant front office and very friendly. In Shoreline my children were struggling due to the pushing of test scores and not being able to teach my two children with ADD and also my hearing impaired daughter. Was very frustraited with the school's up there and at Mt. Shadows my children flourished in the school from day 1. Their grades in school and their whole attitude towards school had changed for the better. They love the school and staff and so do Ii and my husband. I feel this is such a great school I had joined the PTA. Job well done!!!

My son has been attending Mountain Shadows for 5 years. I made the mistake to put him in a charter school last year. I call Mountain Shadows and they took my son back the next day after I re-register him. My son has been a honor roll student for 4 years and 1 year principle' list. The teachers, staff, students are amazing.

Mtn Shadows is a wonderful school. The teachers are incredible-innovative & caring.My 2 grandsons have attended for 5 years & love their school.The oldest just graduated 6th, the youngest will be starting 5th.Their teachers have been very involved in helping them to succeed and grow-the more involved you are as a family, the more the teachers will help-it's a team effort.There are several star teachers who go above & beyond with their time & effort.2 areas for improvement.1st, office staff is rude & treats me as an intrusion.I am very involved with my grandsons' education, teachers, friends & school.2nd, the playground monitors seem to just stand in the shade & not monitor;when the boys have a problem with a kid, they are told to "stay away from them"-doesn't help when the kid keeps chasing them knowing the monitor won't be watching.New principal every year- miss the lady from 2 years ago;she was very visible & approachable.PTSA is awesome-thanks for movie night,6th grade celebration was great! Mtn Shadows is a community-love the annual science fair & carnival.Great leadership classes & honors assembly.Amazing teachers-provide many opportunities outside of traditional learning!

Mountain Shadows is a great school with a great atmosphere for children. The are very focused on helping the children be their best both academically and in other areas of life. The kids are all so sweet and I've never seen bullying. I have volunteered in the classrooms a lot. My daughter has attended K-2nd grade here and the only reason we're leaving is for the district's Renaissance program. Her teachers have been phenomenal in responding to me and in giving her extra work to challenge her. The office staff doesn't seem friendly at all, but I don't deal with them much. If my daughter's new school doesn't work out, we're coming back to Mtn Shadows. I highly recommend it.

I have two daughters who started school at Mountain Shadows in Kindergarten and are now in 6th grade. Every year has been a success! My children's needs are met academically and socially. All teachers and support staff have the best interest for my girls. I feel Mountain Shadows gives many opportunities for my children to succeed and build their self-esteem. They are involved in successful programs such as band, chorus, student council, green team, and still have further opportunities to join other leadership groups each quarter. I know Mountain Shadows is an EXCELLENT school when I hear my girls talk about their day and how outstanding their teachers are. I would recommend other parents take their children to Mountain Shadows Leadership Academy to receive a quality education in a positive and safe atmosphere.

We had two children go k thru 6 grade. Now we have grandchildren going to Mountain Shadows. It is a great school with great teachers and leadership and a very involved parent organization. We highly recommend this school. The kids are great.

The teacher only teach at a fast pace, I needed to pull the child out after one week of getting notices that my child was failing, because he was too slow.

I believe the principal and all staff members to be dedicated to the students. I gave my students individual assistance and treated them as if they were my own. I can only speak for myself and my own impression of the staff. No school is perfect and I feel that parents need to ask themselves what they are doing in and out of the classroom to enable their student to become a quality reader and a quality math student. Are you motivated to motivate your child? Are you a partner with your child's teacher. Extend your hand and it will be taken.

The below average rating is not for the teaching, but for the office staff and adminstration. All are adversarial to teachers and parents and have a most unwelcoming atmosphere. It is clear who they like and who they don't like. It lends for a very tense and stressful atmosphere and doesn't provide a positive environment or create a very good first impression. Principal is very political and clearly has it out for teachers who fall out of her favor. Overall, a very unhealthy atmosphere for students, teachers and parents.

Last modified Mountain Shadows Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.