Sunset School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted April 25, 2014

I like the teachers they work hard to keep the student motivated and interested in their education, I like just about everything about the school except some of the rules. The kids can't even be kids without getting into trouble and that is not the biggest issue the school will not bend the rules to suit the situation but they will bend the rules for their own convenience and that is not right. I want my children to grow up in a safe bully free environment but at this point it is almost the schools policies that are making the teachers bullies and that is a shame especially for a school like Sunset.

Posted February 24, 2014

This school is Amazing! The staff is awesome and is extremely involved in everything! My son loves to go to school everyday! Could not ask for a better place to send him to get a top notch education!! Thank you to all the staff for truly caring about all the kids that attend sunset school!!!

Posted August 30, 2011

This is an amazing school, the Principal and staff are very professional and truly care for the students. Best school in Glendale.

Posted August 30, 2011

Sunset School is exceptional! The teachers and principal are amazing! I appreciate all of the hard work they do.

Posted August 30, 2011

The school is excellent. The entire staff works hard for all the students. I refer in particular to the principal Ms. Patterson, who sets the tone for her school. She is first-rate. Our daughter attended Sunset for 2 years and had a wonderful time. Thanks

Posted September 16, 2009

Our son attended Sunset and we found everything about it to be exceptional. We couldn't have asked for a better foundation for his future. Even though his days there are just memories now, we miss the experiences we all had there, and still try to support the school in every way we can.

Posted July 23, 2009

My son is going on his 3rd year sunset. I love all the teachers and staff at this school!!

Posted April 15, 2009

My son has accelerated above the standard score tests in his first 6 months of school because of the one on one attention from his teacher.

Posted March 24, 2008

My daughter attended this school for 1st and 2nd grade. We had a wonderful experience at this school. Mrs. Patterson the principal was very nice and handled any situation with great care and in a timely manner. My daughter had Ms. Bakke who was a wonderful teacher. She also had Ms. Demory for second grade who is our all time favorite teacher so far. We miss you Ms. Demory. We had a great experience with this school. I would have given this school a 5 star rating if the academics were higher.

Posted June 6, 2007

early morning kids would wait out front for the teachers, then for the rest of the kids then get all together and go in.. sence my son has medical problems and bad asthma the early morning thing just wasnt good. because of this sun set wasnt for us.. when i called the office to pull my son out it took them 3 weeks to call me back! hes some place else now thriving and doing great!

Posted June 1, 2007

My son went to Sunset from 2nd grade through 6th grade. I found the teachers to be caring and concerned about his education. The current principal is excellent and discipline seems to be consistent. Band, orchestra, cheer, track and basketball are available. I'm impressed!

Posted May 30, 2007

Bullying is a big problem at Sunset. Mrs. Patterson is quick to respond when it is brought to her attention. The teachers are not so great with dealing with it.

Posted May 24, 2007

I attended sunset from kindergarten to 6th grade. It is the best school ever! To this day I still consider Sunset my home school. It will always be.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 26, 2006

I have 3 students at Sunset this year, and I went there myself the year the school opened. I love the school. Mrs. Patterson is a wonderful principal who knows education in and out. I am a teacher myself in the Washington Elementary School District, and I would not have my children attend a school that I felt was not addressing their needs, both academically and socially.

Posted June 14, 2006

This school is improving academically, but they have cut all extracurricular activities such as band, choir, and other clubs.

Posted February 23, 2006

I believe that Sunset has a lot problems and the parents should be standing up with each other, not against each other. If you let your child be a bully, you are wrong. The school is concerned, although always pointing a finger at the wrong child. There is no success where there is no positive reinforcement. I have never heard any good comments standing in the office or outside. My child has been pushed by teachers, made fun of by teachers and let down by teachers. Someone needs to rearrange the faculty. Concerned.

Posted December 9, 2005

I have a daughter in first grade and a niece in kindergarten at Sunset and both are doing work from the next grade. Their reading skills and math skills are excellent. I think Sunset is a wonderful school and am glad that my daughter and niece are able to attend.

Posted September 1, 2005

When I have discussed concerns with teachers about my childs performance they were not really concerened because the rest of the class was at a low level. To them it was ok if my son was a little behind because the rest of the school was. No type of encouragement. If we as parents are trying hard to help our children shouldn't the school and the teachers also try harder.

Posted February 22, 2005

There were a few problems here, but those were mostly about children in the after school program. Sunset is a cute little school, and the rules are enforced. I don't know if this has changed since my daughter went here, but the only problem I have with this school is that they keep the classes separate during lunch, and have band class during lunch.

Posted September 9, 2003

Really good school. Really good school.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 73%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (602) 347-3320

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now