Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

Hi-Star has been a blessing for our son, who was struggling in a traditional school setting. At Hi-Star, my son's school day is filled with discovery and learning, rather than his behavior. I love this school!

My son has been at hi star for about 6 years now and has made huge gains. Before coming to hi star I would get calls everday asking me to pick him up because they did not know how to handle him. Hi star taught him to read and write something public school could not do. Hi star teaches them manners, love and respect. They have plays, art shows, life skill outings, special Olympics and more. My son has made real friendships there and anyone that spends more than five minutes at this center can see how much they enjoy and love these kids. They do have discipline techniques in place for reasons and anyone with a special needs child knows how important they are to have . I have never witnessed any unkindness to any child in the 6 years at hi star. Thank you hi star for changing my sons life.

This school is awesome. Our son is blind and autistic and was regressing in speech and daily iving activities after starting kindegarten. Half way through the year the district suggested Hi-Star and we switched him. We have seen nothing but success! It is awesome to see how much our son has learnt so quickly thanks to the awesome staff of Hi Star. He has atteneded for a few years now and I dread the day he will be transferred back to public school. The staff is loving and really cares about the childrens. Awesome....Awesome....Awesome...

I am proud to be a teacher at Hi-Star. I have worked there for over 10 years- most of our staff have worked at HI-Star for 15 to 20 years. I am saddened by the parent who had such a negative view of our school. I'm sorry she couldn't see all of the positive rewards we utilize to encourage good and positive behaviors, all of the high-fives and hugs we give our students to encourage positive interactions. I personally invite any parent to spend a day in my classroom and make the decision for themselves whether our school is appropriate for their child or not. I believe you will be impressed! Sincerely, Jamie Patrick

Any and all actions taken by staff are with the full informed consent of parents (in writing, if you get to the point of placing your child there). ACCEL taught my kiddo to scream for longer periods of time until they eventually dropped the task and he got whatever he'd wanted. They do not hurt kids. But they do not allow kids to be disruptive, off task, or a danger to themselves or others simply because other places think it's better for a kid to be locked away for hours. Once a child stops the behavior, they go back to the task they were doing. That's the end of it. There's no, "You knocked over a chair this morning, so you don't get recess this afternoon.......or tomorrow......". Most kids don't need it. And no one should send their child there unless they agree with the program. But the program does work for the kiddos they accept. And it is the difference between my son living a relatively normal life and being in an out of home placement. For us, Hi Star has been a blessing.

I toured this center as a requirement from my sons district. I was appalled on how they treat special needs children.Just on my visit I witnessed a child with severe mental disabilities stand in a adjusting room in the corner screaming...to get the chimes attention the force there arms up in the air or flick their cheeks and squirt water on them. The principal proudly showed me a mat where the take down children and sit on them to show defiant behaviors that they are superiority. At the end of my tour the man told.me that he will breakdown my son behavior and he will know who is boss. The school is full of smoke screens and the kids look to scared to get in trouble so they look like zombies. parents beware...if u have a severe behavioral child with disabilities there is a better and less evasive choice...Accel.

Histar is not for everyone, but provides an excellent program for those parents who agree with the philosophy of the school, and who have students with developmental issues that demand supportive care. The children do get recreation periods both indoors and out, and virtually all of the upper level students participate in special olympics. (So I do take issue with the comments from the post on 4/13/2005 about there being no sports). Parents are indeed invited and encouraged to have their children get involved in the numerous activities: plays, weekly outings, cookouts, camping trips, prom, harvest dance, etc. Naturally, as the children get older, the complexity of their activities is expanded. There are numerous events for parents to observe their children, or enjoy the reward of their successes, but not every parent chooses to participate or show.

Last modified Hi-Star Center For Children is a Private school