Joy Christian School

Private | PK-10 | 662 students

We are best known for Academics, Arts & Athletics.

Living in Glendale

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Sweep tile

Posted December 22, 2009

I am a freshmen in high school at joy and I love it. I switched from O'conner and I am so happy I did. The classes they offer are harder and you learn more but at the same time it is easy to get an A. All the kids are great and you make many long lasting friends. I love all the teachers and they really care about you and talk to you. The principal is fun and involved and allways helps if there is a problem. I went to Joy in PRE-SCHOOL - 1ST grade. I am so Happy I came back. It is allways happy there and you really conect with christ. :)
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 2, 2009

My children were enrolled at Joy for seven years. Curriculum and Christian learning in Kindergarten thru 3rd grade was good. After that, Joy does not measure up to Az standards (which isn't saying much at all when you consider this state is ranked 49th in the U.S. in education). I moved my children to public school and we are so happy with the change. The curriculum at the public school is more comprehensive and showed how much my kids were missing at Joy. We have more advanced classes and even a gifted program in our public school. I wish we would've pulled them out of there years earlier. The 'Board of Directors' is a joke and does not provide direction for the school. They are yes-men for the administrator who is out of touch with school needs. The principal is a conflict-avoider who would not enforce policies or handle issues.

Posted September 18, 2009

My kids have been at Joy Christian for 5 years. I am happy to say that the school has surpassed my expectations in every way. After homeschooling for 4 years, I was very picky and expected a lot. I have watched my kids excel in academics, athletics, leadership, and spiritual growth. The teachers and staff are amazing - they really love these kids and it shows. I just read the test score report and it didn't suprise me that we outscored both neighboring districts by 10-20 points in all subject areas. Thanks Joy - I've more than got my money's worth!

Posted September 18, 2009

I love this school. It's creative and feels like one big family. I am particularly impressed with how well my kids know the bible and how much their spirituality has grown in just the last 12 months. They greatly increased their bible based programs this year for every grade level and I'm wowed by the impact this has had. I am also impressed that they now offer some dual enrollment opportunities to get extra classes such as Chinese and AP classes. My oldest had attended a public school and they had this opportunity and so do most of the other private, Christian schools - I'm glad to see Joy is progressing in this area and continually adding educational opportunities for our kids to excell - especially at the higher grades.

Posted September 18, 2009

Althought several factors influenced our decision to put one of kids at a public high school this year, I must say that Joy Christian prepared my daughter for life, academics and in every other way. She attended Joy from 5-8th grade and we placed her in honors classes in her new public school as a freshman. She has been the top scorer in both her Honors Algebra and Language Arts class much to our surprise. We knew education was good at Joy, but we had no idea how well it actually prepared our daughter. One of her best friends also transferred to the big perochial HS downtown - she too is at the top of her class. Thank you Joy Christian for investing in my daughter for the last 4 years. May God continue to bless your ministry.

Posted September 18, 2009

I have been to this school since 7th grade and I have a history in public school. This school has exceeded public schools in so many ways. The high school is rapidly expanding and is giving students many opportunities, and always strives to give students many ways to succeed. The teachers strive to help the students learn. Recently there has been confused parents thinking there is no more Christian education, but these are uninformed parents. To get the full information about how this school operates, any of the administrators would be glad to explain the system the school functions, they are always willing to make appointments. Only the obstinate are rebuking Joy for their new system. A great school with many possibilities for each and every student.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 8, 2009

We've been at 2 private schools with our children. Joy is by far the best. It has a sound Christian base and offers many opportunities for spiritual growth. The curriculum gets better every year and full 4 yr high school adds new excitement. As with all private schools there is an ever present group of disgruntled parents who have no clue of the operation of a business, much less a school and they grumble about everything. For families with open hearts, a love for Christ and a love of learning this is a wonderful atmosphere for children and their families. We love Joy and we greatly respect the new administration ! I recommend Joy to any family looking for an education that is grounded in Christ.

Posted September 8, 2009

We have 2 children attending Joy. Their programs are well thought out and Joy offers every student something they can love and become involved. Bible is taught as a class plus there is chapel each week and many other opportunities for Christian development. The academic development is good and getting better each year. There is always a struggle for money since so many students are on scholarship - but as Christians we welcome that challenge. Class size is exceptionally small (usually under 20 per class) and the teachers all have a visible love of Christ. We highly recommend Joy as a school and community where children learn and thrive! With the new year in session we are excited with all the great improvements!

Posted August 22, 2009

My child was at Joy for 3 years- this is her last year because we are not happy about the direction. Joy is a not a full Christian education. It is run by some charter school which employs the teachers and limits what teachers say and do. Tuition goes to the church. Where is the leadership - any? the school is going backwards.

Posted August 5, 2009

We attended Joy since preschool and were pleased with the education we received until the last year and a half. Unfortunately, the school has become more concerned about pleasing the parents that make large donations than it is about actually teaching the children. There are a few good employees, however the leadership will keep them from doing their jobs. Since pulling our children, we have had them tested and placed in summer programs to play catch up on all the things they were NOT taught. Our children are exceptionally bright and gifted, however, many core concepts were lacking in math and reading. As a former teacher, I know what they should have learned, but they did not learn. Definitely NOT worth the high tuition costs when you can receive a superior education at public school for free.

Posted April 27, 2009

I am a teacher at this school. Our incredible administrator left and there is no new admin. We were moving forward - but now we have little leadership. Every part of our school used to be immersed with Christ - not any more. I'm confident it will turn around when we get another great administrator like we had.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 22, 2009

I could not be happier with Joy Christian School. They are under new administration, which is taking them forward. Emphasis on academics, as well as each child's spiritual well-being, is on the increase. As a birth to grade 12 campus, they are becoming focused and unified. Change is in the air - change for the better!

Posted January 5, 2009

This school was very unprepared in teaching my children critical Christian Values and preparing them for college

Posted November 25, 2008

Both of my children elementary school at Joy and now one is in the high school. Her experience has been remarkable. She has the opportunity to experience everything and more. More doors have been opened than we ever believed possible. Many think that being in a small school would limit the opportunities for a child, but it is just the opposite. Due to the smaller size she is able to try everything. Our other child in is in the middle school. He also is having a remarkable experience. The middle school staff is top notch. As someone who has been in education for 20+ years, I can say with confidence I would not have my children any where else.

Posted September 30, 2008

Joy Christian School's commitment to students, parents, and staff is oustanding. I have been at Joy for over 4 yrs...It is a great school, and a great blessing to all my children.

Posted September 11, 2008

My child started attending JOY in preschool. He is now in the 4th grade. He has excelled at the school from the very beginning. The academic program and teachers are wonderful. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted September 10, 2008

We have been attending JOY for about 2 1/2 years now. We've had such positive experiences through the Parent's Day Out Program and their Preschool that we made the decision to continue with our child's education at JOY. We started Kindergarten in August and are VERY pleased. We appreciate the smaller class sizes, an appropriate dress code, the care and preparedness of the teachers, the CORE Knowledge program, Bible teachings, and all the extra activities offered...just to name a few things!!! We have found a wonderful enviroment for learning and growing.

Posted August 19, 2008

Our kids have attended this school since the 1st grade (our eldest in now at the H.S.) I probably don't have enough room here to list all the multiple wonderful things about JCHS, (only in it's 3rd year and excelling in all academic and extracurricular areas) so I'll let the fact that the Arizona Business Journal has just ranked Joy Christian Schools as the 7th best private school in the state!!

Posted June 5, 2008

This school was awesome. Great Teachers. Great learning and activities. Only downside is that there is not much security.

Posted February 13, 2008

Each child is treated as an individual, and challenged to excel. We tried public school for our children and have come to the conclusion that Joy is the perfect choice for our children both academically and spititually.

Two or more races 5% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National &#34Wellness Program&#34 Award
  • Core Knowledge Certification (2009)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• College presentations or information sessions
  • Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Jim Davis
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Foreign languages taught

• Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Parents are involved in our &#34partners&#34 volunteer program. there are monthly breakfast meetings for updates of school news, changes, etc... from the executive director. parents are involved in key campus relationship building events, to create a sense of community on the campus. there is a volunteer coordinator who connects parents with their volunteer interests.