Sierra Verde Elementary School

Public | K-8 & ungraded

Sierra Verde is best know for our STEM focus.

Posted August 7, 2014

The new common core is horrible and this school is pushing the new curriculum very hard. This school is very tough and they expect a lot from kids. The principal isn't a problem solver and pushes problems under the rug. The teachers are uncaring and the homework is crazy. Until we go back to the normal way of teaching and get rid of this common core than we are going to continue to fail our children and their education.

Posted August 4, 2014

Unfortunately, I cannot give a star rating to this school, staff or district personnel, but I was required in order to post the following comment. I am glad I removed my daughter early in the year. The teaching staff and principal are in denial that the school offers a safe and nurturing environment in which to learn. Due to the horrid switch to common core (an untested method of teaching students) teachers there no longer taught, but became facilitators. Based on the recently released AIMS results, this school has dropped considerably in their point standings. While they are still an A school, these results show that teachers still need to teach subjects and allow students the freedom to develop whatever method they individually understand to achieve a positive outcome. This is key for a student to develop problem solving skills the private sector requires of its employees. Telling a student to figure it out is not teaching. On this path, you will continue to fail your students.

Posted October 22, 2013

My school is an amazing school. It is the A+ rated school. I love my school!!!

Posted October 21, 2013

I moved my two sons from another school in the district because of the test scores, STEM program and the opportunity to keep both of them in the same school through 8th grade (they are 2 years apart.) I have been very pleased with the quality of instruction and the SAGE program that challenges gifted children in Math and Reading. I have had conferences with teachers when I have questions and found them to be informed about my kids and sincerely interested in their education.

Posted July 30, 2013

Sierra Verde is an excellent school. both of my kids are doing very well and LOVE the attention that the teachers give to them. Would not send them anywhere else!

Posted June 11, 2013

My children have gone to this school for several years and love it! I love that they offer so many extracurricular programs with such a wide variety. The teachers are great and love their students. The staff is all very nice and stay very involved with each child. If there is ever an issue, they are quick to notify me. I also love that they now have the STEM program. Sierra Verde definitely stands out amongst the other schools in DVUSD.

Posted October 7, 2011

Update: pulled my kids out of sv and sent them to BASIS that just opened up a few miles down the road. Just noticed that sv tests scores in math are plummeting. BASIS 5th graders use Saxson 7/8 math and I no longer need to use spectrum math books at home they are learning everything at school now. My 3rd grader skipped 4th and started 5th at BASIS and got all A's except for a B in art and a b+ in Latin. BASIS will change a child's attitude about learning within a month. SV wasn't the right school for my highly gifted children and my high hopes were not met here. They are being met at BASIS. My other 5th grader, he got straight A's at BASIS. He never earned straight A's at Sv and even received a C- in gifted math at sv last year. Very odd considering he just tested with a score of 157 on the SB-IV IQ test for Quantitative ability (99.98 percentile). No parent should have to struggle to educate children of this caliber and SV was not a good school for us.

Posted December 30, 2010

My daughter attends Sierra Verde and we couldn't be happier! She is challenged at her level and her teacher goes above and beyond! There are many opportunities for students. The principal meets and greets students EVERY morning and afternoon when they leave. She knows many of them by name and is very involved! Mrs. Paul goes above and beyond every expectation. She will only do what is best for the students and teachers of Sierra Verde. Teachers and students are very lucky to be working at such an amazing school! I recommend this school 100%! Thank you teachers, staff, and principal of Sierra Verde! You are the best!!!

Posted December 2, 2010

The principal is upbeat and friendly but inattentive to problems that arise choosing rather to use a "can't we all just get along" attitude rather than providing assistance to find a resolution. Kids seem out of control, teachers apathetic, students roam in cliques. Parents are very involved. Academically strong but in a way that assures high test results rather than true learning experience.

Posted November 29, 2010

We moved our two kids from another school to Sierra Verde in October and it has been great. The entire school has such a positive atmosphere and a can do culture. Our kids are doing great and they now like going to school. The teachers are awesome and the principal is the best that we have encountered.

Posted October 9, 2010

I highly recommend Sierra Verde Stem Academy! We moved to AZ and planned to enroll our child in private school until we found Sierra Verde and decided to give it a try. We could not be more pleased with the entire experience. Amazing teachers, very involved principal, and so much technology! We could not ask for anything more in a school!

Posted October 4, 2010

This school has had great teachers for many years. Under the new principal Cheryl Paul it has gotten even better with the new leadership. My children have gone her ever since the school opened and it is today the best it has ever been. The upbeat and positive environment is a direct result of the current principal.

Posted August 2, 2010

I moved my 5th grader out of this school last year; the teacher was excellent, the program was excellent, but unfortunately many of the other students were bullies. My poor son would come home in tears and beg me to not have to go back. I think many of these students would pick on him. He has been much happier since we left Sierra Verde.

Posted April 28, 2010

Since last year I have been looking into finding an elementary school for our daughter, who will move on from her Montessori experience. I was simply amazed on the kind and friendly atmosphere of Sierra Verde. I have visisted the school unannounced and called many times - only to find a helpful and enthusiastic person - you can tell that everyone enjoys what they are doing. From the nurse, to the front office staff to the 1st and 2sd grade teachers the environment is inviting , exciting but most all of you can feel the joy and passion of each and everyone working together for the children. I am thankful that our daughter will be starting 1st grade and was accepted under the Open Enrollment process.

Posted April 3, 2010

Sierra Verde will open in the Fall as a STEM Academy and we are commited to excellence. The staff collaborates and continues to share knowledge of new technology with each other and students. We are finding more efficient ways to help students think critically and learn new ways to problem solve. Teachers are reflective of their practices and recognized for their hard work. Students are put first at Sierra Verde and I can't wait until my son can attend. Our principal is a dedicated individual with a contagious positive attitude. I am a teacher who has been at the school since it opened in 2001, and I have never felt prouder of my school than I have felt this year.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 3, 2010

I think Sierra Verde is an amazing school that just seems to be getting better and better! The staff is absolutely focused and committed. The students are thriving. Parent involvement could be better, but overall still very good. Technology is everywhere...just really an amazing learning environment for our three kids. Could not be happier with our experience at Sierra Verde and hope that impending budget cuts,etc. do not affect the quality of learning here!

Posted April 2, 2010

My son is in 7th grade and has been going to this school since 1st grade. He is gifted and this school has done a good job keeping him challenged through the SAGE program and in advanced and honors classes. This school has taught him critical thinking and he has excellent math and written composition skills. The new principal and her team have definitely taken this school to a new level.

Posted August 9, 2009

This school has excellent leadership, from the administration all the way through to the campus maintenance staff. The students are the #1 priority in this community. Parent involvement is extremely high, and the children benefit from that. My children love this school, and their parents do, too!

Posted August 5, 2009

As we go into year 2 of our amazing 'new school' (new principal, new teachers, new environment) I can honestly say that I am excited for school to start. I am excited to see what my children will learn this year. All the teachers are working together for the first time in the 7 years we've been there. The teachers can do what they love best - teach! The principal knows each child by name and honestly cares about each one. I feel very proud of my school!

Posted August 5, 2009

Sierra Verde School, which is and has been a K-8 school since it's opening in 2001 (not a K-5), has always had the potential for being an excellent school. In past years, there has not been open communication between staff and parents, and the community had polarized due to conflict between the staff and the parents. Beginning with the 2008-2009 academic year, we have had new leadership with an outstanding principal, assistant principal, and new teachers. From the outset, it was apparent that a new culture was beginning, and now everyone, from the maintenance staff to the administration, has infused a new, enthusiastic, and healthy environment for the students. Test scores, which have always been high, are now reflective of the team building grade level teachers share. Our principal is a take-charge empowering individual who believes that everyone can succeed. Our school is now a community in the truest sense.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 13%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Music teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • A+ School of Excellence Award (2014)
  • Principal of the Year (2014)
  • A Rating (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:45 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • Dr. Paula Tseunis
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Computer animation

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club
  • Origami club
  • Robotics club
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook
  • see website for current list

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Elementary school
Middle school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Mountain Ridge High School