K-8 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Just moved here from MA and LOVE the school, teachers and students. There seems to be more homework assigned but it's manageable. The campus is beautiful and the playgrounds are vast. This is STEM school, so there is a big emphasis on science and math. There are tons and tons of extracurricular activities to get involved in, which helps when you're new in town and want to meet people. My kids have been welcomed with open arms into this awesome school. Like the school motto says, they really do try to "spread kindness like confetti" here at Sierra Verde!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers have been great! My son is usually very critical of school and his teachers. This year, he has nothing but good things to say. Even in classes where the work is a little harder to grasp, he feels encouraged and that makes so much difference in his performance and resilience. And the teachers are very good at communicating with us as parents.

Amount of homework: Agree

My son is in eighth grade and he does get some homework, but it is not overwhelming like it has been an other schools. It also seems to be quality practice versus just busywork. And there seems to be ample time given to complete longer assignments. There's also a good amount of advance notice so that he can work ahead over the weekend when he has more time if he chooses to do so.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They have high standards in academics and personal behavior. You can see the difference in the behavior and level of respect shown by the students. They are dedicated to the success of the kids and they are very fair in their grading practices from what I've seen.

My son struggled for the last few years in different schools, not reaching near his potential. He felt unsuccessful and developed a very poor attitude about school in general. It was so difficult as parents to watch, when all we wanted was to see our child do well and be happy. Then we moved and were fortunate enough to find Sierra Verde. The staff is excellent! They are so dedicated to the success of their students and very responsive and communicative. My son actually WANTS to go to school now! He feels valued and encouraged. The environment and students were very welcoming. He is doing so much better because at Sierra Verde its "cool" to be a good student. His grades are improving, he is actually learning and retaining information, and he is taking more pride in his work. Sierra Verde is very academically challenging which is taking some getting-used-to for our eighth grader, but the faculty's commitment to higher standards is helping our boy rise to the challenge. And he is realizing new talents like his knack for public speaking thanks to amazing teachers like Mrs. Chesbro who have inspired him to overcome his fears and excel. I can't say enough about Sierra Verde. It's just a perfect place for students to learn and mature where the focus is on education and personal growth. It's safe, well-organized and parent-friendly. They encourage and embrace parent involvement, and they really care about the kids! I am just sorry we didn't find them sooner, but so thankful they will be helping prepare our son for high school. A++++

I am so happy with the two years that my child spent at Sierra Verde. My student is now completing his first semester in high school making A's in Honors classes and I am realizing what an impact Sierra Verde had on him. I feel this is due to how well he was prepared for high school during his middle school years at SV. We were open enrollment at SV and chose this school because it was a Stem school and recommended to us by a high school teacher. We were very nervous in moving to a public school after being in a private Christian school. We found SV to be warm and welcoming! They do layout rules and expectations to the students upfront, but this is good. They have high standards for behavior and character and an extremely positive atmosphere-Yes! When any of the few concerns we had arose the administration reacted and solved the matter immediately. Because of this we felt very safe and frankly this school acted on its values and character pillars to the point that we felt it was more like a Christian school than the one we left. They are extremely pro active in constantly trying to improve the school. They set goals for everything and the students are taught to set goals as well. They have quarterly assemblies to celebrate successes. Despite the fact that SV is a stem academy, they have opportunities for every student to have a well rounded experience. My son was able to be in 2 bands, drama, cross country, NJHS and be on the morning announcement team. He fell in love with school again after moving to Sierra Verde. In 8th grade he learned to deal with and be successful with more challenging teachers. While there were a few rough spots in 8th grade the issues were addressed. The 7th grade teacher team is awesome! My son had grown to dislike Language Arts at his previous school, but Mrs. Chesbro changed that for good. LA is now one of his favorite subjects and even while now in high school he pulls out his notes from her class for reference, she remains his favorite teacher! SV is very family oriented. The principle and vice principle were very visible on campus and I think they knew every child’s name! Everyone in the front office is very friendly and helpful as well. It seemed like one big family at this school. I am so grateful that my son was able to end his elementary education on such a high note with his experience at Sierra Verde.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teacher make learning interesting and fun while still challenging students to achieve the highest level.

This school, teachers and Principal are all terrible! The academics are way over the top. The teachers don't care about you individually. They only care about getting a paycheck. Don't send your kids here!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We love all of the teachers at Sierra Verde and feel very blessed to have had them in our lives.

Amount of homework: Agree

Some nights there is a lot of homework and other nights there isn't very much. It balances out very nicely with kids in sports and other activities.

Last modified Sierra Verde Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.