K-8 & Ungraded
Glendale, AZ
Before care: Yes

Sierra Verde Elementary School 1

Posted August 07, 2014
The new common core is horrible and this school is pushing the new curriculum very hard. This school is very tough and they expect a lot from kids. The principal isn't a problem solver and pushes problems under the rug. The teachers are uncaring and the homework is crazy. Until we go back to the normal way of teaching and get rid of this common core than we are going to continue to fail our children and their education.

Sierra Verde Elementary School 1

Posted August 04, 2014
Unfortunately, I cannot give a star rating to this school, staff or district personnel, but I was required in order to post the following comment. I am glad I removed my daughter early in the year. The teaching staff and principal are in denial that the school offers a safe and nurturing environment in which to learn. Due to the horrid switch to common core (an untested method of teaching students) teachers there no longer taught, but became facilitators. Based on the recently released AIMS results, this school has dropped considerably in their point standings. While they are still an A school, these results show that teachers still need to teach subjects and allow students the freedom to develop whatever method they individually understand to achieve a positive outcome. This is key for a student to develop problem solving skills the private sector requires of its employees. Telling a student to figure it out is not teaching. On this path, you will continue to fail your students.

Posted October 22, 2013
My school is an amazing school. It is the A+ rated school. I love my school!!!

Sierra Verde Elementary School 4

Posted October 21, 2013
I moved my two sons from another school in the district because of the test scores, STEM program and the opportunity to keep both of them in the same school through 8th grade (they are 2 years apart.) I have been very pleased with the quality of instruction and the SAGE program that challenges gifted children in Math and Reading. I have had conferences with teachers when I have questions and found them to be informed about my kids and sincerely interested in their education.

Posted July 30, 2013
Sierra Verde is an excellent school. both of my kids are doing very well and LOVE the attention that the teachers give to them. Would not send them anywhere else!

Posted June 11, 2013
My children have gone to this school for several years and love it! I love that they offer so many extracurricular programs with such a wide variety. The teachers are great and love their students. The staff is all very nice and stay very involved with each child. If there is ever an issue, they are quick to notify me. I also love that they now have the STEM program. Sierra Verde definitely stands out amongst the other schools in DVUSD.

Sierra Verde Elementary School 3

Posted October 07, 2011
Update: pulled my kids out of sv and sent them to BASIS that just opened up a few miles down the road. Just noticed that sv tests scores in math are plummeting. BASIS 5th graders use Saxson 7/8 math and I no longer need to use spectrum math books at home they are learning everything at school now. My 3rd grader skipped 4th and started 5th at BASIS and got all A's except for a B in art and a b+ in Latin. BASIS will change a child's attitude about learning within a month. SV wasn't the right school for my highly gifted children and my high hopes were not met here. They are being met at BASIS. My other 5th grader, he got straight A's at BASIS. He never earned straight A's at Sv and even received a C- in gifted math at sv last year. Very odd considering he just tested with a score of 157 on the SB-IV IQ test for Quantitative ability (99.98 percentile). No parent should have to struggle to educate children of this caliber and SV was not a good school for us.

Posted December 30, 2010
My daughter attends Sierra Verde and we couldn't be happier! She is challenged at her level and her teacher goes above and beyond! There are many opportunities for students. The principal meets and greets students EVERY morning and afternoon when they leave. She knows many of them by name and is very involved! Mrs. Paul goes above and beyond every expectation. She will only do what is best for the students and teachers of Sierra Verde. Teachers and students are very lucky to be working at such an amazing school! I recommend this school 100%! Thank you teachers, staff, and principal of Sierra Verde! You are the best!!!

Sierra Verde Elementary School 2

Posted December 02, 2010
The principal is upbeat and friendly but inattentive to problems that arise choosing rather to use a "can't we all just get along" attitude rather than providing assistance to find a resolution. Kids seem out of control, teachers apathetic, students roam in cliques. Parents are very involved. Academically strong but in a way that assures high test results rather than true learning experience.

Posted November 29, 2010
We moved our two kids from another school to Sierra Verde in October and it has been great. The entire school has such a positive atmosphere and a can do culture. Our kids are doing great and they now like going to school. The teachers are awesome and the principal is the best that we have encountered.

Sierra Verde Elementary School
7241 West Rose Garden Lane, Glendale, AZ  85308
Last modified Sierra Verde Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sierra Verde Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top