Public charter
Glendale, AZ
After care: No

Canyon Pointe Academy 4

Posted April 30, 2015
As for the comment below...Did you know that Board Certification does not guarantee a great or even a good teacher? You can teach anyone the skills of a job, but you cannot teach a love for children, a gift for communicating with them and a desire to engage them in every aspect of their learning. Some of the very best teachers my children have ever had do not hold current certification and some of the worst they have ever had do. Don't judge a book by it's cover! The teachers at Canyon LOVE and are dedicated to the students at the highest level. This year has been tough, and I admire those teachers that have loved our children enough to stick it out - board certified or otherwise!

Posted April 21, 2015
Would you like to know that some of their teachers aren't board certified? Or how the assistant superintendent bullied the sixth graders saying he would get rid of them the way he did their teachers? This school is not for anyone. If you value your students' academic success, stay away from this school.
2 people found this helpful

Canyon Pointe Academy 3

Posted January 21, 2015
I would be lying if I said that I wasn't concerned about all the changes that have occurred at Canyon in the last few months however, I chose to wait and see what would happen and I'm glad I stuck it out. Is this school perfect, by no means, what school is. However, the changes that have been implemented are making Canyon a much better school. My kids are happier and they say that things in class are better because kids are behaving, probably because they are being held accountable for their actions now. The new vice principal has been doing an amazing job with discipline and has been extremely helpful in calming parents and students who have been anxious about all the changes, myself and my children included. So instead of jumping on the bandwagon to bash the school for making changes, I would like to say thank you to the teachers and staff for enduring these difficult, yet necessary changes in order to make the school better for our children.
4 people found this helpful

Canyon Pointe Academy 5

Posted January 16, 2015
Canyon Pointe has been nothing but amazing for our family. Yes, things are changing, yes, change is hard. Very hard!! Luckily, my children haven't seem affected by the changes at all... They love some of the new teachers that have been brought in too. I honestly believe in my heart of hearts that all the change will be positive in the end. Unfortunately, I do know that some of the negative reviews are coming from former disgruntled employees. I volunteer for the school and have never, not once seen a teacher on their phone and the teachers have been nothing but professional. PLEASE don't believe everything you read. If you are looking for a school, check Canyon Pointe out. My 2 children love school and their teachers, we won't be going anywhere.
6 people found this helpful

Posted January 15, 2015
If you want your child(ren) to have a good education.....withdraw them from this school!!!! The teachers play on their phones, talk to students about dating websites they are on, and are clearly brainwashed by administration. Your children PLAY more than learn. Is this what you want? Even the bus driver said he couldn't believe how many days are wasted where he drives kids from Canyon to the Prep ( on a chartered bus) to PLAY. This would NEVER happen at a district, ever!!!! Pointe schools are the worst! DO NOT ENROLL your child, ever!
4 people found this helpful

Canyon Pointe Academy 3

Posted January 09, 2015
As mentioned in previous comments, there are A LOT of changes taking place at Canyon right now... Aside from the shock at so many long time Canyon employees being "let go" at the same time, these changes seem to be geared at "fixing" some of the complaints from parents/students. My family was very sad to see some of these great people leave the school, however my child does say she is excited with some of the positive changes taking place, specifically in the daily schedule. Change can be both scary and exciting... I am reserving judgement until the school has had some time to implement their vision.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 07, 2015
What is happening to this school! I thought it had the stench of the assistant superintendent all over it and the last post confirms it. It is so sad when someone abuses their power and is so destructive. The students are obviously not the priority to the administration. ..but funds from the state are being used well I see....Get a load of the new stage posted on website, oh and the new principal sporting a new 2015 Caddy SUV. I am contacting the state pulling my two kids!
10 people found this helpful

Posted January 06, 2015
I must say this week has been a shock for me as a parent of a child attending CPA these past 5 yrs. After returning from break, we found many key people are longer here. Poof! Gone. Not a whispered word. My count is 10+, which from a school this size is noticeable. I heard a letter was sent out vaguely mentioning the student handbook not being followed. Really. News to ordinary parents. So much for feeling supported, appreciated & included by this organization. Many will miss Principal Rhone and other missing staff more than that this out-of-touch administration will know. I guess her grace under pressure was just not enough to please everyone. The intern principal pulled to cover (in addition to her busy wk sch) is a poor excuse for this administration s covering their lack of leadership, which includes open communication, not absenteeism. I am not looking for intimate details just professional and courteous face-to-face verbal support and encouragement during this difficult transition from leaders making these changes, not their hide-behind and shoved-into place scapegoats. Worst of it all is able to say goodbye and thank you for these past yrs of always professional service.
10 people found this helpful

Posted January 05, 2015
I have had it with Pointe Schools!!! Nice way to handle your poorly managed schools. Pulling the teachers, principal, performing arts, IEP, and computer teacher during the middle of a school year. SAD! How is this ethically right to do to the students and staff? We all know that children need consistency and that too many changes cause confusion pulling their focus away from learning. Please tell me Mr. assistant superintendent. Or, do you want to waste more of our tax dollars by explaining your mission on another tee shirt you sell to your students?
14 people found this helpful

Canyon Pointe Academy 5

Posted December 09, 2014
Couldn't be happier to see the Principal demoted, she actually needs to go. I feel bad for the students in special ed... She had no business teaching, she treats the students horribly and has no respect for her peers... No wonder the school had had the problems they have had.

Canyon Pointe Academy
4941 West Union Hills Drive, Glendale, AZ  85308
Last modified Canyon Pointe Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Canyon Pointe Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 138 reviews. Top