Public charter
Glendale, AZ
After care: No

Canyon Pointe Academy 3

Posted January 21, 2015
I would be lying if I said that I wasn't concerned about all the changes that have occurred at Canyon in the last few months however, I chose to wait and see what would happen and I'm glad I stuck it out. Is this school perfect, by no means, what school is. However, the changes that have been implemented are making Canyon a much better school. My kids are happier and they say that things in class are better because kids are behaving, probably because they are being held accountable for their actions now. The new vice principal has been doing an amazing job with discipline and has been extremely helpful in calming parents and students who have been anxious about all the changes, myself and my children included. So instead of jumping on the bandwagon to bash the school for making changes, I would like to say thank you to the teachers and staff for enduring these difficult, yet necessary changes in order to make the school better for our children.

Posted January 16, 2015
Canyon Pointe has been nothing but amazing for our family. Yes, things are changing, yes, change is hard. Very hard!! Luckily, my children haven't seem affected by the changes at all... They love some of the new teachers that have been brought in too. I honestly believe in my heart of hearts that all the change will be positive in the end. Unfortunately, I do know that some of the negative reviews are coming from former disgruntled employees. I volunteer for the school and have never, not once seen a teacher on their phone and the teachers have been nothing but professional. PLEASE don't believe everything you read. If you are looking for a school, check Canyon Pointe out. My 2 children love school and their teachers, we won't be going anywhere.
5 people found this helpful

Posted January 15, 2015
If you want your child(ren) to have a good education.....withdraw them from this school!!!! The teachers play on their phones, talk to students about dating websites they are on, and are clearly brainwashed by administration. Your children PLAY more than learn. Is this what you want? Even the bus driver said he couldn't believe how many days are wasted where he drives kids from Canyon to the Prep ( on a chartered bus) to PLAY. This would NEVER happen at a district, ever!!!! Pointe schools are the worst! DO NOT ENROLL your child, ever!
11 people found this helpful

Canyon Pointe Academy 3

Posted January 09, 2015
As mentioned in previous comments, there are A LOT of changes taking place at Canyon right now... Aside from the shock at so many long time Canyon employees being "let go" at the same time, these changes seem to be geared at "fixing" some of the complaints from parents/students. My family was very sad to see some of these great people leave the school, however my child does say she is excited with some of the positive changes taking place, specifically in the daily schedule. Change can be both scary and exciting... I am reserving judgement until the school has had some time to implement their vision.
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 07, 2015
What is happening to this school! I thought it had the stench of the assistant superintendent all over it and the last post confirms it. It is so sad when someone abuses their power and is so destructive. The students are obviously not the priority to the administration. ..but funds from the state are being used well I see....Get a load of the new stage posted on website, oh and the new principal sporting a new 2015 Caddy SUV. I am contacting the state pulling my two kids!
11 people found this helpful

Posted January 06, 2015
I must say this week has been a shock for me as a parent of a child attending CPA these past 5 yrs. After returning from break, we found many key people are longer here. Poof! Gone. Not a whispered word. My count is 10+, which from a school this size is noticeable. I heard a letter was sent out vaguely mentioning the student handbook not being followed. Really. News to ordinary parents. So much for feeling supported, appreciated & included by this organization. Many will miss Principal Rhone and other missing staff more than that this out-of-touch administration will know. I guess her grace under pressure was just not enough to please everyone. The intern principal pulled to cover (in addition to her busy wk sch) is a poor excuse for this administration s covering their lack of leadership, which includes open communication, not absenteeism. I am not looking for intimate details just professional and courteous face-to-face verbal support and encouragement during this difficult transition from leaders making these changes, not their hide-behind and shoved-into place scapegoats. Worst of it all is able to say goodbye and thank you for these past yrs of always professional service.
10 people found this helpful

Posted January 05, 2015
I have had it with Pointe Schools!!! Nice way to handle your poorly managed schools. Pulling the teachers, principal, performing arts, IEP, and computer teacher during the middle of a school year. SAD! How is this ethically right to do to the students and staff? We all know that children need consistency and that too many changes cause confusion pulling their focus away from learning. Please tell me Mr. assistant superintendent. Or, do you want to waste more of our tax dollars by explaining your mission on another tee shirt you sell to your students?
21 people found this helpful

Posted November 27, 2014
I literally just lol'd after reading the previous three 'rants' ... SAVE YOUR CHILDREN, Not enough supervision, This school is the WORST! ... It's probably a good time to review some facts about Canyon Pointe Academy (something that you rarely find on Great Schools): 1) The Arizona Department of Education just ranked this school as an 'A' school; 2) This school continues to have waiting lists; 3) accidents occur on elementary campuses across the United States and these injuries are usually cared for by parents (not school officials) once an assessment has been made by school personnel and/or emergency medical responders; 4) Canyon has a very unique culture were students are encouraged to enjoy the school day because a motivated student, who wants to be at school, will learn.

Posted November 14, 2014
SAVE YOUR CHILDREN FROM THIS SCHOOL!!!! It was only after we left canyon and started third grade at another school that I realized what a disservice they have done to many of the children. My daughter is in third grade and is only reading at a first grade level and I consider myself a very involved, hands on parent. I am not alone in these claims. Many parents have pulled their children and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner to save my child from the daily struggles she faces today!
10 people found this helpful

Posted September 25, 2014
The post that starts, 'Canyon Pointe is circling the drain,' is just one more example that Great School is not the resource they promote themselves to be. The anonymous nature of their sight allows anyone to post anything. Claiming that a school the Department of Education just labeled as an 'A' school is 'circling the drain' and 'dumb(ing) down our kids' is laughable. Perhaps this is a parent whose child has been disciplined because of his/her disruptive behavior. Canyon's Principal is loved and respected by her teachers, students and parents and her campus continually has a waiting list.
4 people found this helpful

Canyon Pointe Academy
4941 West Union Hills Drive, Glendale, AZ  85308
Last modified Canyon Pointe Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Canyon Pointe Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 131 reviews. Top