Sandra Day O'connor High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2513 students

Posted April 21, 2010

I have been nothing but impressed with SDOHS. My husband and I did a lot of investigating and touring of high school campuses and we found SDOHS to be one of the top schools. My son is a freshmen and has done nothing but excell! We have never been more proud of him, the communication between the staff and teachers is nothing less than phenominal. My son plays sports all year. We are involved with the Boosters club, we have been nothing but impressed with the sports program. O'Connor is an Excellign school for a reason!

Posted March 2, 2010

This school is a huge disapointment. We moved into the area so that our child could attend this so called, 'Wonderful' school. After 2 years of our child trying to exceed in a school that cannot meet these kids, we pulled our child out. We are beyond disapointed in this school. Their music program is one of the worst programs offered in high schools today. In fact, the chorus teacher does not even show up to class! She was too busy with her band projects. This year they had a half time Elementary music teacher teaching choir. They weren't even signed up for the Regional and State auditions! We are glad that our child is now out of this school.

Posted September 16, 2009

O'Connor teachers genuinely care about the students and their futures. They help to do everything possible to be sure the students succeed, not only in their class, but in everything they do.

Posted March 12, 2009

This 'school' is filled with drama. I do NOT recommend this school to ANYONE. I moved my child to Boulder Creek. Now that's a good school. I am disappointed in this school. Hopefully it will get better. This school does not deserve a 4 stars.

Posted March 8, 2009

I'm a freshmen at O'Connor and love the school! The teachers are great and the students are all very involved. The only thing I would change is the importance of sports, they belittle the importance of grades.

Posted August 26, 2008

Our experience so far has been excellent. My son is a freshman and loves it. He is involved in the drama program after school and stays very busy. I will say however that my son is a pretty easy going guy. Our experience when my second son hits high school could be quite different. So far, so good for now!

Posted May 11, 2007

Our family relocated to Arizona this past winter from the midwest. Our biggest concern was our sophomore son adjusting to a new school academically and socially. We are surprisingly pleased with the relationships he has developed with his teachers. They have been kind and supportive. We do however suggest stronger communication with parents. I have called the school numerous times with questions and never receive a reply. The staff seems over whelmed most of the time. Thank you Sandra Day O'Connor for great effort.

Posted May 9, 2007

I am a senior in SDOHS, it is a very nice school. Everything is new, people are nice, a very good leaning environment!

Posted April 25, 2007

I went to this school for four years, and I loved it! The teachers are highly qualified and there is a plethora of interesting extracurricular activities to choose from. I'm now attending university persuing a degree in English Education, as I was inspired by my English teachers in high school. Make sure you take advantage of the Honors/AP program!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 1, 2007

I have had one child graduate from O'Connor and he went all 4 years and now is at ASU, I have s 10th grader there and out of all the school in this district and all surrounding districts this school rate #1 in my book.

Posted October 21, 2006

New School, beautiful campus. School offers many honors and AP courses, and some college dual enrollment courses. There are many clubs available, the sports team are making a name for themselves and the performing arts programs are spectacular. I have 2 sons attending and am extremely happy with their progress. I would recommend this school to anyone who wants their child to receive a top notch education and have lots of opportunities to get involved in clubs, sports and extracurricular programs.

Posted August 28, 2006

I would not recommend this school. Parent/teacher communication is very poor. Many of the teachers do not seem to care about the welfare of the students. As a result of these things, I decided to withdraw my child from this school.

Posted June 26, 2006

Sandra Day is still developing its identity and getting its stride. The teachers do go the extra mile. I don't have any complaints about communication; in fact, I've gotten positive notes home unsolicited, and most teachers have websites where I can check my son's homework assignments.

Posted May 23, 2006

The availability in sports and extra curricular activities is very high. The academic programs aren't bad but there isn't too much parent involvment. There are a lot of kids attending the school and the school just doesn't seem big enough for them.

Posted April 12, 2006

O'Connor is very strong in terms of clubs. There is something for everyone, and no one can feel left out here. O'Connor is known for being one of the highest performing schools in terms of academics as well. Areas needing improvement are school participation and sports. The sports aren't really up to par with the other aspects of the school. The school is only four years old so it doesn't have as many traditions but it does have a beautiful campus. The students at this school mainly come from white, middle to upperclass families. This school is beautiful and has superior academics and also has one of the best bands in the state.

Posted March 6, 2006

My daughter has just completed her first semester here. What a fantastic school; both academically and socially she soared to great heights! She is taking two honors courses and is involved in all the school (and community) theatre programs offered. She was recently selected to join the jazz band as their pianist. Although she is not a 'jock' she still stays active and involved in most of the programs through her friends. I can't say enough great things about this school, the faculty and the overall education my daughter is receiving. Thanks Sandra Day and keep up the great work!

Posted February 9, 2006

O'Connor is an awesome school, with great teachers & coaches, who are sincerely interested in giving our kids a good education, and give them guidance in building good character.

Posted January 25, 2006

So far I have been very impressed w/ O'Connor. The teachers have all been very approachable and they all get back to me in a timely manner. The office has been very helpful when needed.

Posted December 6, 2005

Overall a good school. The district boundaries are such that we live 17 miles from the school, with no option for changing schools (we live in an 'island' for district boundaries) which creates many difficulties that the extracirricular activities sponsors/directors will not make many accomodations for. It would seem that the kids are really out of control as to district boundaries, and should not be held accountable for where they live. SDOCHS has a very high average family income, so 'keeping up with the Jones'' is really an issue. Attendance rules in the district also make no sense. We cannot keep our child home, even if we call, without it being counted as an unexcused absence. The only way to get an absence excused is with a doctors note. The attendance system is so automated, you only get a call that your child was marked absent, with no explanation.

Posted May 11, 2005

SDOHS is a relatively new school, but shows signs of becoming a top notch school. The music program especially is incredible and has won many top awards. (It may have the best marching band program in AZ.) Other extracirricular activites are still developing; there are many service clubs but not too many interest or hobby clubs. Academically SDOHS is a good school; it has the core AP classes and hopefully more will be added. Teachers and staff are professional and caring. Most are good teachers; some less so. Volunteer opportunities abound in the office, bookstore, library, etc.--a great way to get to know staff and feel connected. Coaches are inspiring and good role models for the kids. Some have won regional honors awarded by their peers. Finally, the campus itself is new and architecturally distinguished, with an acoustically superior auditorium and excellent sports facilities. This school has a lot of potential.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

673 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

674 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

668 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)