9-12 & Ungraded
Glendale, AZ

Posted October 08, 2014
We have 2 students enrolled in the American Studies Academy... We love the high level of learning they are receiving. They have hands on learning through in class room studies, Saturday Academy, Field Trips, National History Day Competitions, Class trips where they travel out of state to learn Archeology, Visit Philadelphia and Washington DC to learn about our Founding Fathers, Our Constitution, Revolutionary/Civil War - It is an amazing program that challenges students. We love the teachers!

Sandra Day O'connor High School 3

Posted June 28, 2014
I'm a current student at this school and from my experience it is not the best out there. From my experience from my teachers and my friends teachers they would make us read the book and watch videos to teach ourselves while they sat behind their desks on their computers. I also had experience with somebody I knew almost killing themselves and when I went to the school about it they pretty much did nothing about it and just had a brief conversation with the person. I would also like to point out that our math department is not in very good shape at the moment. But, we have a amazing language arts department and I would recommend Mrs.Simon or Mr.Jones who are amazing teachers. And my last issue with this school is that it's so full of drama and there's rumors about people all the time. And one last thing kids come to school high all the time and the teachers do nothing about it when they are disrupting the class and it's very hard to focus.

Posted January 23, 2014
Sandra Day O'Connor has been a wonderful high school for both of my girls. My oldest daughter is physically handicapped and had been in the Peoria District - they stuck her in a classroom with kids that were mentally challenged - she didn't belong there! SDOCHS has been GREAT!!! She actually graduated, on time, with her Class of 2013. Our youngest daughter hated going to grade school, but when she hit high school at SDOC... her attitude changed big-time!!! She is now a Junior and loves going to school. She is involved and rarely misses a day. When kids get to high school... we believe... you have to let them grow up and be responsible for themselves. If there were any issues, which was not often, I made them go to the teacher and deal with it themselves. I love SDOCHS!!! And so do my girls!!!

Posted October 01, 2013
Sandra Day O'Connor High School is NOT a model of excellence in education by any stretch. I agree with quite a few of the posts and reviews here that the staff and teachers are not student-centered, do a very poor job of including parents and families in educational decisions, and are often a bit rude and condescending. They do not seem to place much value on differentiation in the classroom to meet diverse student needs, and do a very poor job of supporting average or struggling students. This school has been a huge disappointment in terms of preparing students for college and in promoting 21st century skills in students, as well as in cultivating an effective student-centered, differentiated learning environment. Twenty years ago, this type of school was the norm. But in this current time of transformation in education, there are MUCH better options for students.

Posted August 30, 2013
O'Connor is not a very good school. They do not focus on the students. Their staff is rude. There is high turnover of administration. Not a quality educaiton. We are looking for a good charter to move our daughter.

Posted August 30, 2013
SDOHS is overcrowded and the staff does little when issues arise. Students have to eat outside standing due to the overcrowding. High theft cell phones stolen out of P.E. lockers while students are outside participating in class. They don't care if anything is stolen and make little or no effort to recover items stolen. This is been our worst experience with a high school in Arizona. Students get no help from the counselors. Schedules is messed up every year. Staff is lazy and they really need to start firing. Parking is terrible and drop-off is always slow. This school has exceeded their enrollment level for several years. More concerned with sports then with academics. Look for a charter school!!!

Sandra Day O'connor High School 4

Posted June 10, 2013
Both of my children attended O'Connor High School. They had some really great teachers in their honors and AP classes. The general education teachers seemed more interested in teaching so that they could coach or advise a club. Sports seems to get more attention than academics by the administration and students. In looking at the other options for high schools in the area (Mt. Ridge, Goldwater or Boulder Creek) Sandra Day is a much better choice. My kids were fairly well prepared for college and would recommend that students try to get into the advanced classes for the best education.

Posted December 26, 2012
Very happy with the school. My daughter is in the 9th grade and loves it.

Sandra Day O'connor High School 3

Posted December 13, 2012
I've had 3 students go thru O'Connor. The brightest did best. The other two, one of which has a slight learning disability, was another story. I feel the school administration caters to the high achievers and lets the others flounder. Too much emphasis on sports, as well, and good luck getting on a team, as so many out-of-area transfer students take those spots. Math teachers seem particularly bad. One consistently fails multiple students each semester, does not answer emails, etc., He even specifically told us to emaill him, then never replied after repeated emails. Frustrating lack of interest!

Sandra Day O'connor High School 4

Posted August 19, 2012
My son just graduated in May of 2012 from O'Connor. He is now attending ASU on a full ride merit scholarship. He took all honors and AP classes at this school. I am pleased to say it prepared him immensely. My only complaint... the math program. It could use some help... not so great. My son had to teach himself math for the most part but still scored exceptionally high on both SAT and ACT in all areas. All in all this is a Great school and we have no real gripes about it. My daughter is now a 9th grader there and loves the O'Connor spirit. Send your child there. You won't be sorry.(:

Sandra Day O'connor High School
25250 N. 35th Avenue, Glendale, AZ  85310
Last modified Sandra Day O'connor High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandra Day O'connor High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top