Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

This school deserves my rating because of the certain issues is has. Whoever believed it was right to use taxpayer money to fund iPads for students' education wasn't thinking clearly. I've witnessed many students playing games on their iPads during instruction time. This school should also rethink their Honors courses, as some of them feel like ordinary classes to me. I feel that many of the staff seem to favor those who participate in the athletic program, and ignore the concerns of those who aren't.

Awesome staff, great athletics program, teachers that really go above and beyond. Top notch atmosphere and great support!

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

They would be more effective with a good administration. Mirage is very low. When the teachers are unhappy, it Is passed on to the students.

Amount of homework: Agree

It depends on the teacher. Every class is different. My kids have never had issues with the homework.

Develops character: Disagree

The students and parents are not respected if there is an issue. They will deny it. The only way to accomplish anything is to record the incident as you are told you need proof of an issue. Otherwise they turn it around on you and claim you perceived it incorrectly. They are really quite good at it.

This high school is getting worse by the day. Three years ago, when the district appointed a new principal, Dr. Miller, the school started going down hill. Now it is spiraling out of control. The principal has no leadership skills. The teachers are miserable which is why many students and parents are frustrated. The students are forced to use iPads to learn. They watch the lesson on the iPad. Many times if my student has a question, they are directed to look it up on the iPad. It's a joke. If you have concerns and wish to speak with administration, good luck. You have a better shot at getting a meeting with Obama! You usually have to wait anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks for a day and time. Then they won't meet with you unless you email your questions/concerns to them prior to the meeting. You are also only given a certain amount of time to talk. I've been in a meeting where I was scolded for speaking out of turn. They obviously do this so you won't want a meeting. Then absolutely nothing is resolved. They do not put the students well being first. It is the most poorly run school I've ever experienced. This is an amazing community, however the school wants nothing to do with it.

I have a son in 9th grade there, and I'm desperately searching for an alternative school for him. The classroom sizes are ridiculous, trying to get the teachers to work with us (parents) has been a joke, and my son has basically given up any hope that he can succeed. As a parent who is more than willing to sit with him at night to get him caught up on the poor learning he is receiving, I still cannot. Everything is done on the iPad without a single textbook for me to help him with. The social aspect has been equally terrible, with bullying, physical threats and attempts on my son, drugs galore...it's a miracle any child can succeed in that environment. If your child is not 100% an auditory/self-driven learner, I urge you to consider another option!

We have 2 students enrolled in the American Studies Academy... We love the high level of learning they are receiving. They have hands on learning through in class room studies, Saturday Academy, Field Trips, National History Day Competitions, Class trips where they travel out of state to learn Archeology, Visit Philadelphia and Washington DC to learn about our Founding Fathers, Our Constitution, Revolutionary/Civil War - It is an amazing program that challenges students. We love the teachers!

I'm a current student at this school and from my experience it is not the best out there. From my experience from my teachers and my friends teachers they would make us read the book and watch videos to teach ourselves while they sat behind their desks on their computers. I also had experience with somebody I knew almost killing themselves and when I went to the school about it they pretty much did nothing about it and just had a brief conversation with the person. I would also like to point out that our math department is not in very good shape at the moment. But, we have a amazing language arts department and I would recommend Mrs.Simon or Mr.Jones who are amazing teachers. And my last issue with this school is that it's so full of drama and there's rumors about people all the time. And one last thing kids come to school high all the time and the teachers do nothing about it when they are disrupting the class and it's very hard to focus.

Sandra Day O'Connor has been a wonderful high school for both of my girls. My oldest daughter is physically handicapped and had been in the Peoria District - they stuck her in a classroom with kids that were mentally challenged - she didn't belong there! SDOCHS has been GREAT!!! She actually graduated, on time, with her Class of 2013. Our youngest daughter hated going to grade school, but when she hit high school at SDOC... her attitude changed big-time!!! She is now a Junior and loves going to school. She is involved and rarely misses a day. When kids get to high school... we believe... you have to let them grow up and be responsible for themselves. If there were any issues, which was not often, I made them go to the teacher and deal with it themselves. I love SDOCHS!!! And so do my girls!!!

Last modified Sandra Day O'connor High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.