Heritage Elementary School

Charter | K-8 | 750 students

Character Counts

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

As you can see from the reviews most of them are from teachers saying how great the school is. As a parent let me tell you that this school is nothing but bad news, my oldest daughter started here in kindergarten and I pulled her out in 8th grade. I keep telling myself things would get better but they never did. For the past several years this has been a poor rated school and they got told that if theu didnt bring up there tests scores then they were gonna close the school down. Well low and behold theu got there act together and got a b rating last year. The b rating came with alot of change all of a sudden they wanted to crack down on the dress code, mind you they were uniforms. The principal and vice principal dont communcate and you have to go back and forth between the too. When I finally decided to take my kids out of this awful school, like a earlier review all the principal kept saying was that this is a business and he didnt want to lose 2 students. I was so thankful to finally get my kids out of here anf wish I had done it sooner.

Posted August 28, 2014

A lot goes on that this school that is not very good. Even the transportation dept is a joke. School is 10 mins away from my house and the would keep the kids on the bus for two hours before they finally got there. When we finally pulled our kids out after many years of not being to happy the Principle had the nerve to say that he doesn't want to lose the kids this is a business and they need all the enrollment possible. They have a free aftercare program just to rail in parents that are stuck between a rock and hard place. Few years ago you had to pay enrollment went down so this is something they did to get enrollment back up! Great to run your business! I thought schools were suppose to be safety of children and education for children not a "business" I was floored that the principle would so that to a parent. Shows what they care about at this school. List can go on and on.

Posted August 18, 2014

It is great to have such an excellent school in Glendale for kids. The teachers really care about teaching your child. Heritage Elementary offers transportation to and from school. They also offer a free before and after school program. Under the Leadership of the current administration Heritage Elementary has improved by leaps and bounds from a D letter grade to a B letter grade.

Posted August 16, 2014

Heritage teachers and students have worked very hard to reach the goals we have set.As of the current school year, we are a B performing school. I am proud to be a part of this success! The teachers and administrators are working hard to make Heritage the best that it can be.

Posted August 15, 2014

Academically this school is pretty good. However, they have unreliable buses. They break down a lot! And there are so many kids on one bus, that it takes 2 hours for my kids to get home. Today the bus broke down, and they didn't get home until 6pm. I have complained about this the past few years, and it hasn't gotten any better. I'm currently looking for another elementary school to put my children in. So disappointed.

Posted December 10, 2013

I am a teacher at Heritage and have been for a few years. My experience teaching here has been pleasant so far. I feel supported by the principals in everything I do. They give me freedom to teach and they do their best to help me whenever I have a question. I love the kids and seeing their excitement everyday when then enter my room. I am sure teachers at other shoals may say similar things about their kids, but I know Heritage truly has a safe and stimulating learning environment. With this safe feeling that Heritage kids have it makes them happier, and therefore easier for a teacher to manage a class of 25.

Posted November 24, 2013

As a new staff member at Heritage it is great to work at a school where I can speak to other staff members whenever a question comes up. Also the continued communication with parents helps each and everyone of them to be more confident about what each their child is learning

Posted November 20, 2013

I started off at Heritage Elementary School as a substitute teacher and have been a full-time teacher for the past 3 years. I am extremely happy with all of the changes here at the school. I have seen the school grow through character counts, after school activities, and Galileo test scores. The school has also included a Pee Wee sports league for our younger students. The teachers are dedicated to their students and make learning fun. Our administration is interested in seeing the teachers and students are successful. An overall view of Heritage Elementary School in Glendale, AZ is that we are on our way to being a B. Keep up the great work!

Posted November 20, 2013

This school keeps on building - in academics, sportsmanship, character, and collaboration among students, staff, and parents. As we all work together, student achievement is improving and our school is gaining a greater community presence. We do need to keep up the efforts to become really great.

Posted November 20, 2013

A kid-friendly school with staff that work together to provide a great environment for students to learn and grow in.

Posted November 20, 2013

Hi, I've been a 2nd grade teacher at Heritage for over 10 years and I love it here. It is wonderful to have a family of students each year that enjoy coming to school each day. Each students strives to achieve their personal best, and we have a lot of fun along the way. I've had the great opportunity to see many of them daily right through their eighth grade year. This is very rewarding. The teachers and staff excellent and friendly.

Posted November 20, 2013

I have taught at Heritage for several years and I am impressed by where this school is headed. This year the school seems like it is a strong community and everyone is on the same page coming together to better the education of the children. This is one of my best years here.

Posted November 8, 2013

This is my third year teaching at Heritage and I couldn't be happier at any other school! The staff here are positive and team oriented and truly have our kiddos' best interests at heart. Every year I've been here I've seen exciting improvements being made. We have more Specials (Music, PE, Art, and Computers) offered. We've improved our technology with new laptops for every teacher and a computer lab with laptops for every student in my class. Our athletics department is amazing, offering Track, Football, Volleyball, Soccer, and Basketball, and our Cheer group is one of the best in the city. We offer parents and students a free after school program where students can get help with their homework and have a free snack before getting picked up. We have created pacing guides for every grade level to assist in implementing the new AZ Common Core standards and have regular Galileo testing to keep students on track to be successful on the AIMS. We have adopted the Character Counts program to educate students on their conduct and raise the caliber of their character. There is a wonderful feeling of family and community at Heritage and I invite you to come and see for yourself!

Posted November 7, 2013

My daughter started kindergarten this year at Heritage and she LOVES it! They have a free after-school program (that I love) and if I come to pick her up early she gets upset because she wants to stay as long as she can. She has already learned so much in just a few short months! She's already writing her first and last name and knows the sounds that all of the letters in the alphabet make, and is beginning to recognize sight words and sound out words she sees on signs as we drive in the car. Her teacher, Mrs. B, is the BEST! She's so kind and patient with the little ones. Their academics and character building is top notch!!

Posted August 20, 2013

Heritage School is great! We are very happy with our kids' teachers. The Principal cares so much for the kiddos as well as all the staff. My kids love the computer teacher- they talk about him a lot. They enjoy going to art, music and P.E. They say their P.E. Teacher is very funny and nice too. Never had a problem at all. The kids didn't like lunch so much last year but this year they are very happy.

Posted August 2, 2013

Heritage just received a "D" for the third year in AIMS testing. The School will now be labeled an "F" school according to the Arizona Department of Education website. Parents check the facts carefully before choosing a school for your children.

Posted July 24, 2013

Heritage elementary has gone down hill. Teachers are not teaching. The bulling in that school is by far the worst not only with the students but the teachers as well. They don't have a good leadership and Dye is no good. I am so glad that this year I have decided to remove my children as well as my friends. The negative of this school will go from mouth to mouth . Research other schools that you decide to put your children in. Just a concerned parent.

Posted May 21, 2013

I am a teacher nearing the end of my 3rd year at Heritage. I love teaching here. The administration are really supportive and I feel we are heading in the right direction academically. We have identified areas to improve upon and have set goals to make sure that happens. The facilities are awesome and the sports program offers a variety of options for multiple grades to participate in. We are especially competitive in boys and girls basketball and football. I have had the opportunity to coach and have had a blast getting to know my students outside of the classroom. Overall I am very pleased with my experience so far at Heritage. We have great support form the front office and teachers that care about student growth.

Posted November 4, 2012

This is my first year here with my son. He is in first grade and so far so good. A few hiccups but nothing huge. I really love the instruction given and my son has really excelled. So, I would recommend this school to anyone. I believe there is a lot of heart here.

Posted October 31, 2012

I have been here a few years and all of the staff and administration are dedicated to each student's education. We want to see all the students be successful. The staff enjoys working together and making learning fun.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 69%N/A47%
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Justin Dye
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (623) 742-3957

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Departmentalized Instruction
  • Standards-based

• Arts (all)
  • Special education
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Dance club
  • Drama club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom