Challenge Charter School

Charter | K-6

Living in Glendale

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

School Official Point of View

Posted March 2, 2009

Dear Parents: Thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to learn more about &/or share some of your experiences at Challenge Charter School. CCS was founded in 1996 by Superintendent, Greg Miller & Executive Director, Pam Miller, my parents. The Millers are still active in the leadership of CCS; and I am honored that they have chosen and support me in my new role as Principal. I am proud to have been working with CCS s outstanding team of educators since 1999. The team at CCS is passionate about putting kids first, offering an optimal educational environment, grounded in the fundamental skills of a hands-on, science-oriented, academic core curriculum. As Arizona s First Official Core Knowledge School our curriculum is integrated and sequential providing a challenging and differentiated learning environment also rich in history, character education, and technology. Recently, a few parents have commented on our testing culture. In response, I confirm that our students, of all backgrounds, consistently score 25 to 40% higher than the state average of both: all schools (~1700); and all charter schools (~485). This accomplishment is something our teachers, school community, parents, and especially students are proud of! So, yes, we do talk about it on campus; we empower and encourage our students to celebrate their achievements. Challenge is proud to offer many unique programs and services. Some of the opportunities at Challenge include: Extended-day Kindergarten, before & after school care, extracurricular classes during the school day (such as art, foreign language, PE, technology), Breakfast/lunch program, caring and highly qualified staff, parent/family nights, and a uniform policy. I encourage all interested parents to join us for one of our several Founders Tour & Informational Sessions this spring. At these tours, we discuss school policies & programs in detail and no question goes unanswered. Lots of information including tour dates is available on our webpage at www.challengecharterschool.net. Call our office today at 602-938-5411to sign up! Principal Wendy Miller

Posted May 22, 2004

Challenge Charter School is by far the best elementary school in Arizona! The teachers are outstanding and Mr. & Mrs. Miller (co-founders) are amazing with the students and running the school. My child is learning things I didn't know until high school. I recommend this school to any parent who is interested in providing their child with the best education Arizona can offer. You won't regret it.

Posted May 16, 2004

Good school great principal and staff!

Posted May 5, 2004

Challenge Charter is fantastic. My daughter is learning a ton in kindergarten. I am looking forward to sending here there to 1st grade and sending my other children to Challendge when they are of age. The only thing I wish they had more of was Sports Activites, ect. They have after school dance, gymnastics, chess and drama.

Posted April 7, 2004

My daughter has attended this school for the past 5 years and we have never had a problem. This year, unfortunately, our experience has been the complete opposite. The 4th grade teaching staff is not of the highest caliber and the kids are paying the price. They have tremendous problems with bullies and neither the teachers nor Mr. Miller seem to want to take it seriously. I would recommend the Kindergarten thru 3rd grade program but am not so sure about 4th grade and above.

Posted April 2, 2004

I am a parent who was a teacher at Challenge Charter School for a quarter of this school year. I suggest that parents ask more questions about how technology is used in the classrooms of this school. I was not able to use computers with my students; there was no access to the internet in the classrooms or working computers in the pod. Another area of concern is the constant and high rate of staff turn-over. I am an experienced teacher and mother of three, and I would not recommend this school.

Posted March 24, 2004

What a great school. My son has been attending for the last 2 years, starting with Kindergarten last year and 1st grade this year. I am very pleased with how well he has excelled in all areas of study. The staff and teachers are great. The communication between the teachers and I are very informative and also give you peace of mind. The population is smaller than a public school which I believe is a factor in their success. Nobody is forgotten about. I have had nothing but good experiences with this school and will continue to enroll my son through 6th grade!

Posted March 10, 2004

The staff/teacher turnover has been dificult on our children. Just this week they changed the before/after care leader that is well liked by everyone. The CEO (not Principal) has made several good business decisions that were poor education decisions. We have been there for over two years and this will be our last.

Posted January 22, 2004

I particularly like the low tolerance level for poor behavior at this school. The principal takes proactive measures that make the children want to behave. For instance; they receive an award if they're caught being good. I have also witnessed his hand's on approach when a child casually said to another child 'I'm going to kill you'. The child was obviously just expressing himself inappropriatly, but I was happy to see that the threat (as innocent as it was) wasn't ignored. I expressed concerns with Mr. Miller and he was nothing short of professional. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are both professionals and are doing a terrific job. They're dedication to their students is outstanding!

Posted January 22, 2004

After 3 frustrating years in a public school, I transferred my son to CCS. I can't say how much it has been a pleasure! My son has never been a better student, he loves school! His teachers are incredible, the curriculum is the best I've seen, and my only wish is that CCS would evolve into a set of schools encompassing grades K-12. Making the decision to choose Challenge Charter School was one of the best I've ever made.

Posted January 7, 2004

The school needs to be understanding more when a parent has a concern.

Posted October 29, 2003

My child is getting the education at this school that she deserves. She went to a DOD school and a public school before arriving at Challenge Charter and she didn't want to learn and hated school. Now she is doing great and enjoys learning now. I would recommend this school to anyone. Now my son also goes to Challenge Charter and loves it also.

Posted May 1, 2003

extracurricular are needed to balance the education the children receive at the school. I am so please with the knowledge my children have obtain.

Posted March 28, 2003

I am the aunt of 2 former students at Challenge. They began attending Challenge after a couple of difficult life situations. This school, and the teachers, helped get them back on track and happy. They loved their teachers, their fellow students, and Mr and Mrs Miller. The teachers were awesome and worked with each student at their level. If someone was in the lower level, the goal of the teachers was to get them up with everyone else and they usually succeeded. I would recommend Challenge to any parent.

Posted March 28, 2003

My children have been going to Challenge Charter for the last 3 years and they are so advanced in all subjects that it worries me that when I have to change my oldest next year to Junior High that he won't be challenged academically. I recommend this school to everyone that is looking for a wonderful primary education school. Infact my Kindergartener has benefited so much from the full day program that they offer, she is not a napper so it was difficult for her at daycare and now she is challenged all day long and she enjoys it very much. Thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Miller for the wonderful educational program you have incorporated and offer to many young children.

Posted March 27, 2003

This is easy I give it a 5 out of 1 to 5. This is the fifth year that my grandchildren have attended Challenge Charter school. At first My youngest daughter started her two daughters there, I have three other grandchildren living with me. My daughter was ill and I need to be there to help her so I put the two oldest kids in Challenge also. It was the best thing I could have done. My family had 4 Girls inrolled, then two years ago My son and his family moved here and placed there two boys in school. The boys were having a hard time in school prior to coming here. They have excelled since then and have earned a number of awards. THis school year my sons 5 year old daughter started Kindergarden. To date our family has 6 out of my 10 grandchildren attending Challenge Charter school. One granddaghter just got to old for Challenge Charter school and is in high school now. Plans at this time are that the last 3 will attend Kindergarden there next fall. There goals are children centered. The parent involvment is wonderful. Parent sugstions are openly and wonderfully welcomed. I just cant say enough about this school. They started in a church and now they are in a very modern school. I am very excited about Challenge charter school and recomend it highly. My grandchildren love this school and so do I. I have recomended this school to several friends and they love it also. The safety at school is great. You cant get onto the grounds without going through the office during school hours. My granddaughters no longer have to fear peer presure on the play grounds as recess is well supervised. The schools monthly family activities are always well planned and usually well attended and very versitile. They treat the children with respect and in return get respect. The children are also taught respect and patriotism for our country. Try it you will love it. We do!

Posted March 27, 2003

I wish to add to my privious comments that I really like the Principal. When my daughter died of cancer He nd Mrs Miller were more than supportive and sensitive. I was very touched when they attended her funeral. He works very hard to make this school a cut above the rest. I am very pleased that all of my grandchildren to this point have had the opertunity to attend Challenge. One of the many things I love is that they have a strict uniform code. The children act different when they are in uniforms. It is also one way of teaching them to follow rules. This is an A + school.

Posted October 15, 2002

This is our first year at Challenge and so far we are pleased with the variety of subjects the kids are learning. I would like to see more review material brought home so I can better help my kids understand the work at home if needed since they dont bring home text books.

Posted October 15, 2002

It's all about the children! This is our second year attending Challenge Charter, and we're so happy with it! Our 3rd and 4th grade daughters are so eager to tell us about their day and have taught me things I never knew! We especially like the variety of topics that are covered due to the Core Knowledge cuurriculum that is followed. The teachers work as a team and everyone is always on the same page. Communication from the classroom is great. Weekly newsletters are sent home so that we always know what is being taught. Mr. & Mrs Miller are very involved in the school and lead the way in keeping the children motivated and excited to learn.

Posted October 15, 2002

We checked out many schools before a friend recemended challenge charter - this is our second year and our 2nd grade daugher loves to go to school. Many thanks to Mr Miller the principal.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A47%
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Founder Miller inducted into the Circle of Honor (top 1% AZ Principals.) (2006)
  • National Charter School of the Year - awarded by Washington D.C. based Center for Education Reform (2007)
  • US Dept of Ed National Blue Ribbon School - highest academic honor (2007)

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

• Drama

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • *school advisory council: hands-on management team *school facilities and curriculum committes such as technology, uniform, discipline etc. *community-business partnerships. strong parental support organization and volunteerism *classroom instructional support *bi-annual parent-teacher conferences & at partent/ teacher's discretion *key members of admin. in civic organizations
  • Attend parent nights