Public charter
Glendale, AZ
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dear Parents: Thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to learn more about &/or share some of your experiences at Challenge Charter School. CCS was founded in 1996 by Superintendent, Greg Miller & Executive Director, Pam Miller, my parents. The Millers are still active in the leadership of CCS; and I am honored that they have chosen and support me in my new role as Principal. I am proud to have been working with CCS s outstanding team of educators since 1999. The team at CCS is passionate about putting kids first, offering an optimal educational environment, grounded in the fundamental skills of a hands-on, science-oriented, academic core curriculum. As Arizona s First Official Core Knowledge School our curriculum is integrated and sequential providing a challenging and differentiated learning environment also rich in history, character education, and technology. Recently, a few parents have commented on our testing culture. In response, I confirm that our students, of all backgrounds, consistently score 25 to 40% higher than the state average of both: all schools (~1700); and all charter schools (~485). This accomplishment is something our teachers, school community, parents, and especially students are proud of! So, yes, we do talk about it on campus; we empower and encourage our students to celebrate their achievements. Challenge is proud to offer many unique programs and services. Some of the opportunities at Challenge include: Extended-day Kindergarten, before & after school care, extracurricular classes during the school day (such as art, foreign language, PE, technology), Breakfast/lunch program, caring and highly qualified staff, parent/family nights, and a uniform policy. I encourage all interested parents to join us for one of our several Founders Tour & Informational Sessions this spring. At these tours, we discuss school policies & programs in detail and no question goes unanswered. Lots of information including tour dates is available on our webpage at www.challengecharterschool.net. Call our office today at 602-938-5411to sign up! Principal Wendy Miller
March 2, 2009

Posted December 15, 2014
This school is one of the best! High standards with guidance for the children in excelling. They teach in a way that makes the children want to learn more. My children don't want to leave which speaks volumes in itself. One of my children has had some difficulties at times and both the teachers, principal, and board members have been supportive and encouraging and offered any sort of assistance needed when I inquired. I felt as if there was a teamwork effort to guide my child back in the right direction. Afterwards my child had such motivation to work harder to succeed! My children have been in tears when I brought up the possibility of changing schools before 6th grade to go to a 5-12 school. So we have been here since 1st and will go all the way through 6th. I am so thankful for being able to choose Challenge Charter School for my children and pray junior high and high will be just as great!

Posted December 14, 2014
I love this school. My daughter has attended since Kindergarten and is now in the 4th grade. This is my son's second year as a first grader. This place is extremely organized, there is excellent communication with parents. Every teacher we have had has been professional, caring and truly gifted at inspiring a love of learning. This school is exactly what Charter schools should be and I truly wish they went all the way through high school.

Posted August 26, 2014
This school is wonderful! I pay attention to rankings because they can help show if a school as a whole is teaching the standards and how well students are retaining what they learned. This year Challenge is ranked 9th in the state on schooldiggers.com of more than 1000 state schools listed. This tells me the school is doing a great job of educating my children. I am proud of this school. The work brought home shows me my children receive a quality educational level far above the typical public school. The administration is doing a great job in providing what is in the best interest of the students and delivering a top quality educational experience!

Challenge Charter School 1

Posted August 25, 2014
This school is horrible. 3 out of 4 people on the "board" are mom, dad and daughter, Wendy. Wendy is also the principal! Don't waste taxpayer money with this school.

Posted May 23, 2014
I can t express enough how Amazing CCS has been for my child and our family. Not only do they offer the best education but they encourage and teach their students social responsibility through their Core Virtues . All of the values that as a parent I want my child to have. Unfortunately, they do not offer a middle or high school. But I highly recommend CCS to anyone looking for the greatest elementary school for their child.

Challenge Charter School 4

Posted December 04, 2013
RAINY DAYS. when it rains kids wait outside with no shelter. I have picked my young kids soaked completely. The school has no shelters but that is no reason to expose kids to direct rain. OPTIONS???????? Maybe kids can wait in their classes for their parents to pick them up. Or wait in the cafeteria. SUGGESTIONS????? Also whats up with kids not wearing jackets to assemblies???? In this cold???? Some teachers are way too serious and terrify some kids. Not flexible and opereate like robots. Nice school but way too rigid. S.O.M is ridiculous..... I agree with the parent below. Has bad effect on the good kids who never get noticed. If your child is quiet, smart, not outgoing , he or she will be overlooked thru all grades.

Posted October 23, 2013
I miss Challenge Charter School. We moved out of the city and are at another 10 rated School. Challenge Charter School had done so much more for my kids. They mapped out everything that kept me and my kids and me engaged at all times. The staff at Challenge Charter School is so much more organized and really care about each student as individuals.They put in so much effort into preparing my kids for a well rounded, healthy future beyond compare. From constant notices sent home keeping parents in the loop on everything, to the monthly assemblies, to the wonderful school events, to the assigned projects, to the placement of students in each class according to their learning levels without making anyone feel singled out, to structuring the older grades in a way that prepares them for middle school and helping them transition into being independent and responsible without any stress is extraordinary. Even the after care was handled in a way that made my kids not want to come home after a long day. The new school doesn't even do half of these things. I look back in retrospect I wonder, how did they do it? What a wonderful experience my kids and I had that we may never get again.

Posted October 08, 2013
My sons are now in 6th and 7th after spending the last 4 years at Challenge Charter School. They are well prepared for middle school at the college preparatory school they currently attend. Challenge Charter School provided an exceptional education for both sons. I cannot praise them enough. Thank you to the entire school and their leadership. I am very appreciative and grateful for my sons to have attended this school.

Challenge Charter School 2

Posted May 09, 2013
Kids will learn how to read, but not how to think. We've been at this school for 2 years now, and overall it's been a disappointment. I would not recommend this school.

Posted May 02, 2013
I have been with the school since its inception and every year there is one or two people that have a need to refer to other possibliities other than Challenge, spread rummors of closing or ending a grade, etc. In 17 years as a school we have not bashed or slandered another school on Great schools. We are proud of our awards and our school. If you are a parent at Challenge you would know that our Blue Ribbon award can only be re-submitted for after 5 years,. The Blue Ribbon award is so hard to receive most schools in country never have the opportunity to win one. You seem to have missed or overlooked all the other wonderfful awards the school has had every year since then. By the way the Blue Ribbon award was witten and submitted by the current princapal. She is a wonderful writer and has worked for 11 years at the school. Has a Masters degree in business, and adores and respects HER families. With the 25% cut in funding over the last few years we are proud of the extra things and classes we still provide our students. " Respect is a two way opportunity".

Challenge Charter School
5801 West Greenbriar Drive, Glendale, AZ  85308
Last modified Challenge Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Challenge Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 150 reviews. Top