School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dear Parents: Thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to learn more about &/or share some of your experiences at Challenge Charter School. CCS was founded in 1996 by Superintendent, Greg Miller & Executive Director, Pam Miller, my parents. The Millers are still active in the leadership of CCS; and I am honored that they have chosen and support me in my new role as Principal. I am proud to have been working with CCS s outstanding team of educators since 1999. The team at CCS is passionate about putting kids first, offering an optimal educational environment, grounded in the fundamental skills of a hands-on, science-oriented, academic core curriculum. As Arizona s First Official Core Knowledge School our curriculum is integrated and sequential providing a challenging and differentiated learning environment also rich in history, character education, and technology. Recently, a few parents have commented on our testing culture. In response, I confirm that our students, of all backgrounds, consistently score 25 to 40% higher than the state average of both: all schools (~1700); and all charter schools (~485). This accomplishment is something our teachers, school community, parents, and especially students are proud of! So, yes, we do talk about it on campus; we empower and encourage our students to celebrate their achievements. Challenge is proud to offer many unique programs and services. Some of the opportunities at Challenge include: Extended-day Kindergarten, before & after school care, extracurricular classes during the school day (such as art, foreign language, PE, technology), Breakfast/lunch program, caring and highly qualified staff, parent/family nights, and a uniform policy. I encourage all interested parents to join us for one of our several Founders Tour & Informational Sessions this spring. At these tours, we discuss school policies & programs in detail and no question goes unanswered. Lots of information including tour dates is available on our webpage at www.challengecharterschool.net. Call our office today at 602-938-5411to sign up! Principal Wendy Miller
March 02, 2009

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

Needs better administration that respectfully listens to and professionally works with parents.

I have two children going to Challenge. We have been here for 4 yrs now. I only wish they went thru 8th grade. Love the teachers, curriculum, and campus. If you want structure, discipline and teachers that make learning fun then this is the school for you.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

My son is in special education and this school has been a huge blessing for my special needs child. Everyone from the principal, sped director, teachers, therapists have worked very hard to make sure his needs are met and the IEP is appropriate. If you have a special needs child please dont hesitate to trust their education to the wonderful people at CCS!

I love this school. It isn't perfect, but they do most things right. All the decisions they make are based from good thought and planning. My daughter is in 2nd grade now and unfortunately we won't be here next year (due to a military move). But I know I will judge her next school against CCS. CCS is a great school!

Love challenge. Love Wendy miller and staff. Very organized. The Millers have taken such great care that the school runs so organized and safe. My son is leaving because we are moving. But I know his education is so complete and massive.

So far I can say I'm extremely happy with CCS. My kinder baby learned how to read, write, add, subtract, crazy fast. I do have to thank Ms. Passamonte for all her hard work and wonderful lectures that seems to work so well for my son. Hopefully I will be this happy next year!

Ms. Bethany LeClair is an amazing teacher! My kindergartener was reading me full books only 2 months into the school year. She has kept my daughter engaged and excited to learn!

Experience bad school ever. Too many restrictions for nothing. They don't allow kids to drink water from bottle. And they provide non filter tap water. Better to find some good school in the area

Horrid. My child came home crying every day. I have tried posting about how horrid this school is but it keeps getting removed..

Let me start off by stating my daughter took the school test to make sure she tested into the curriculum. She passed with flying colors. Also when they told me about uniforms the original person said you could buy uniforms anywhere as long as they followed the school dress code. Come to find out you can only buy the uniforms at Dennis uniform which is very pricy. At the same time the spouse have to almost be t p o small. To be acceptable for the school or they will be asked to sit out and watch everyone play. At her first parent teacher.conference they tried to tell me my daughter was reading illiterate when in reality she reads to her siblings every night and enjoys it. Their teaching quality sucks, their staff sucks, their policies suck, and they will nit pick at you for anything and everything to complain about hot y o ur always in the wrong about something. My kid cried every day going to school for months after this place. I don't know what they were doing but she went from admiring going to school to dreading it and never wanting to go back.

Last modified Challenge Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.