Great Hearts Academies - Glendale Prep

Charter | 6-12

Living in Glendale

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted August 15, 2011

Though the teachers continually show the utmost interest in the students of the school, the administration seems to have the unfortunate ability to drive away their best teachers. My child was continually inspired and excelled in the music program, unfortunately it appears they ran him off. Truly disappointing for our entire family. Since the school does not encourage the students to "excel" toward one particular area, we are considering leaving this semester. We also feel as if the school is developing into a "Catholic" school style atmosphere, of which is not truly ideal for all students.

Posted June 19, 2011

This was my last year at GPA. I am looking forward to having my life back.

Posted May 1, 2011

I'm a student here at GP and I've been going here since the school opened three years ago. I'm currently in 8th grade. The curriculum here is extremely challenging- but the payoff is excellent. After switching over from a private school I found that the curriculum here was far more difficult. It takes a certain amount of dedication, but you really get the feeling that you're learning something truly good. I find that my teachers don't just care about how well I learn the material- they care about how well I understand it. I really do get the feeling that my teachers care about me as a person and want to see me succeed. I love this school in that it doesn't just prepare me to be average- I'm prepared to be excellent. The books we read are deep and take effort to understand- but the wonder you get from discovering something beautiful about the world pays off. The extracurriculars are great- Latin club, dante society, old english club, troubadour tradition, drama, music, poetry, and art. We take music 4 out of the 6 years we spend here. I don't see this school as preparation for college- I see it as preparation for life and being a truly good person.

Posted December 11, 2010

Some of the rvws are biased. I chose GP because of the academic rigor, but there's no library, computers/technology, band for ALL students, transportation to/from athletics. Most disappointing is the feeling of being thrown to the lions as a new parent. Most parents forget what that felt like. Most of our children come from schools that take little to no effort from us or our children. TREMENDOUS difference! Should be a parent class that REQUIRES EVERY parent attend before the 1st day. Previous rvwr stated, this school is preparing our kids for college. I'll emphasize PREPARING. Some students are 11 yrs old! College is distant to them. They're looking towards high school. They are children- just more intelligent than most. I do appreciate the longer uniform skirts the girls wear, and how "sweet" they all seem. I want my WHOLE child educated. I will be more prepared to drop him off @college than when I dropped him off here. My son used to read for pleasure, and now has only enough time for required reading. My son hasn't failed a class either. They OVER-discipline. They're gonna ruin these kids records. Kids won't rcv the recognition they deserve for their hard work- like IB prog.

Posted July 1, 2010

I have already given a 5 star rating to this school in 2009 and would like to comment on the parent who mentioned parents are only good for muffin baking. This is a college prep school. So these kids are taught to be responsible for their own work, just like in college. So no, we don't know all the details of what is going on with their academics because they are not babied and are being prepared for college. Some parents who complain about not being so involved don't seem to understand what this school is teaching the students...to be responsible and prepared for college. But again this school isn't for everyone. The Dean does and outstanding job, and I hope he will be with GP until my kids graduate.

Posted May 4, 2010

My son has been attending for 2 years now. My husband is not crazy about it, he would like our kid to have more free time with the family. I on the other hand feel that the school is shaping my son into a wonderful and responsible young man. He does have a lot of extra curricular, beacuse to him it isn't always about grade, although he hasn't failed a class yet. He understands that if he wants to do extra stuff, it comes with a pice, of late nights,etc. One time he worked on lab reports, and language art report till late in the evening. This is what I could never accomplish on my own, so I am so thrilled that the school has set that expectation for me as a parent. My son just took the aims writing test and in one year improved his score by almost 30%.

Posted February 9, 2010

Excellent academic niche for certain types of kids. I don't recommend it for lively types though, more for the studious, serious kids. Talking out of turn gets you detention. Success requires conforming but not necessarily in a bad way. Quality of education is much higher than for most AZ schools, the literature plan is superb. A little less talk & a little more engagement in HS science would be preferable though. They do ask for money a lot but families who want to can find a real sense of community there.

Posted January 22, 2010

very good school with great curriculum but the kids just have no life outside academics. there is no recess time and because of very cumbersome homework, children cannot engage in extra curricular activities. there's also no music and the school leadership is not willing to accept input ot suggestions from parents..

Posted December 16, 2009

As a parent I was always concerned about not only what my kids were learning in the classroom but also teh influences outside of class. I don't have to worry about this at Glendale Prep. The environment is wonderful. The teachers are great and the education my children are getting is the best in Arizona. This school is difficult and is not for every child but, if a child is disciplined and motivated they will succeed.

Posted August 31, 2009

The curriculum is good because it comes from elsewhere. There's lots of homework - but it's worthwhile - not busy work. But parents beware) The administrators do not give any regular academic feedback to parents. You have to find out on your own what the homework is, what tests are scheduled and when, and what the results of the tests were. The teachers are controlled by the dean who ignores all parental complaints. At Glendale Prep, the parents are good only for fund raisers and muffin baking.

Posted April 30, 2009

This is a great school everyone is so kind to me I love it heer!
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Fax number
  • (623) 889-0825

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory