Public charter
Glendale, AZ

Posted January 28, 2014
I have been attending this school for 5 years. I joined first because of friends and I was seeking a change. At my old public school I was getting B +'s and I was satisfied with it but didn't care that much about it. The first thing I noticed was how nice all the students and staff were. I then noticed how after adjusting to the homework schedule I was getting straight A's and i was enjoying the curriculum. I think this school is a perfect school for grades 6-8 because it teaches them good study habits to be used later in high school and college. The high school at GP is not everyone and requires a lot time and effort but the rewards so far that i have noticed are amazing, which include me thinking about what I should be doing to get ready for college and what I should major in. The staff at this school is just amazing they spend almost all there time devoted to helping the student with constant tutoring throughout the week. They also have a love for the subject which allows for the students to interested in it also, for example i am taking the AMC , a nation wide math test that could help with sholarships. Finally I have to say the the sports are amazing.

Posted January 27, 2014
My son is in the 6th grade at Glendale Prep. The school is to focused on classical education. Students who go here are unlikely to acquire a job in modern technology. The only bits of technology used in the classroom are a small PC used for attendance and 1 old, yellow projector missing a wheel. Compared to other charter schools, this is below average. In the 6th grade students take a Science class. The class is to focused on pre-Socratics and Greek philosophers. The month they did spend on actual science just lead back to philosophy.I never was in need of such courses. The restrictions on a students life is also a negative. There is a ban on any "pop culture" in the school. My son was scolded for speaking at his locker about football before school even started. Also the homework takes my son till 10:00pm to finish, yet he got strait A's on the semester finals. This leaves no time for family activities. One positive aspect is that the school provides a wonderful extra-curricular program including clubs and sports. They cultivate a need for excellence inside the classroom and on the sports field although I doubt my student will return next year.

Posted November 07, 2013
I will say this, for having such a bad AD and coaches the football team was the first AIA division VI team ever to win a playoff game in their first year in the division and won back to back state championships in the CAA the previous two years. Of course, the emphasis is on academics. We bring our children to GP so they are prepared for college and careers, not to play in the NFL. If you want your kid to play professional sports send them to a large division I school. My children will come out of GP ready for college and life, which is something I could not say after graduating from high school here in Phoenix.

Posted August 25, 2013
It's really interesting how two parents' reviews are bashing the sports at GP, when school has barely been going on for 1 or 2 wks. Yes the emphasis at GP is about academics and character...and sometimes losing actually builds character. Last yr many of the teams actually won their championship, but those parents probably didn't do their research. Don't bash the coaches and parents who give of their time....how much volunteer time do you give? This isn't a private school where people pay $10,00o-20,000 a yr, so if that's what you want move your kids there. :) as for me, I'm ecstatic about the school and sports my kids are in.

Posted August 24, 2013
Bad sports program. I agree with the previous comment, they don't hire real coaches. The staff training our children in ports are teachers and parents with little knowledge in social & sports' life. GP is nothing other than a bunch of smart kids trying to play sports, and the staff teaches that is OK to not win, as long as you have good grades. If your child love & is good at sports, GP is not for them.

Posted August 24, 2013
GP is great in academics; however, the athletics program is ridicules. The AD continues to say they care about sports and they try to giver their students the best possible coaches. NOT TRUE. The coaches are not certified, they are parents & and teachers with little or no experience at all. My daughter competes in the highest level of her sport in club and decided no to participate in the GP team because the coach is just bad. The coach is bias to her daughter, her favorites and is more of a after school program. The other sister school (Scottsdale & Phoenix Prep) hires real coaches and it shows on the quality of their sports. GP is more academics and they give you a load of BS full of excuses, politics and reasons that just don't deliver results. On top of that, they compete at the lowest possible interscholastic level, were is worst than a recreational city league. So, academics- good, athletics-really bad.

Great Hearts Academies - Glendale Prep 3

Posted February 27, 2013
The classroom participation portion of grading is way too high - up to 30%. If you have a child that is shy this can and will bring down their grade. If you have a child that is outspoken this can and will bring up their grade. Classroom participation should be part of a grade, but 30% is ridiculous. The weighted grade also does not work for most state schools that take applications through computers. Private schools that Great Hearts has relationships with recognize the weighted grade, but if your headed toward a state school you better think twice about your child's GPA. High turn over rate with teachers and most teachers are straight out of college so little experience.

Great Hearts Academies - Glendale Prep 3

Posted February 24, 2013
I think the academics are great. But as for your concern about the athletics and athletes, unfortunately, there may be merit for concern. Example of athletic special treatment, they don't have open try outs. Prior to start of season positions are filled. Even if your child is more skilled and qualified if a position may be filled even before registration for that sport. It's the politics of schools not managed well, unfortunately. Politiking unchecked. Also, there has been an instance of enrollment maniuplation for star players. It's unfortunate. I fiind the academics great, teaching staff outstanding, individual school administration mediocre and sports programs seriously wanting. So if your priority is the in-classroom instruction, these are good schools. If it's great administration and athletics, keep searching.

Posted February 22, 2013
I love this school! My son LOVES this school. He and his classmates typically arrive at least an hour early and when the day is done they don't want to leave!! The kids seem to genuinely enjoy being here. They are interacting, discussing literature, SMILING...that is what I see consistantly, they are smiling. Age differences don't stop the students from getting to know each other, I always see the older kids with the younger kids, being leaders and good role models. Here I don't worry about drugs, sex, and what style is most popular....the kids, at least from that ones I've met, don't show interest in those things. This isn't your typical school, this is a prep school. Preparing our children for a different kind of life. A life where friend worship and pop culture don't rule their hearts. Exploring classic literature, achieving academic goals, and comradery are encouraged. The kids respect the teachers, because the teachers repect the kids. Just ask about how they structure parent-teacher conferences. You'll be amazed!

Posted December 24, 2012
I really love this school and I wish all of my friends could come here. My teachers are amazing and I'm glad I was moved here from a public school. I got a boost from KUMON which took me to a higher level at this school. I really can't wait to get a scholarship and I hope newcomers will enjoy this school too.

Great Hearts Academies - Glendale Prep
7201 W. Beardsley Road, Glendale, AZ  85308
Last modified Great Hearts Academies - Glendale Prep is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Great Hearts Academies - Glendale Prep Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top