Desert Sage Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 642 students

Posted January 10, 2006

We are new to this school, after having our children in another school for 7 years. The difference has been like night and day! One of the first things we noticed was the principal involvement. You always see him around! One of the most impressive things I have seen him do was working along with some kids that were out cleaning up the school yard. I don't know if it was anything to do with discipline, but no matter what, he had a broom in his hands and was working with them. As a parent, that act alone won him over for me! Another note, I find that the teachers are top-notch and the school is doing well academically and I think their programs are helping to turn out 'good kids' who are well rounded!

Posted August 4, 2005

My child completed Kindergarten and had a very positive year at Desert Sage. The atmosphere was caring and conducive to learning. We can't wait to start 1st Grade now.

Posted June 23, 2005

My son just finished Kindergarten and the Kindergarten Enrichment program. His Kindergarten teacher was wonderful to the children, had a very creative curriculum and was easy to talk to. He couldn't wait to go to school every day. The Enrichment program teachers are wonderful and worked with the other teacher to help his development. This school has a before/after school program that is good as well. My son prefers to go to Gecko Corral rather than his other options. This says a lot about the teachers. I was a volunteer chaperone for the kindergarten class' year end trip to the zoo and there were 15 other parents for our teacher! I want to thank the teachers and staff for making my son's first year at Desert Sage a wonderful one. He is looking forward to 1st grade.

Posted June 6, 2005

My son has been a student at Desert Sage since 2nd grade. Before that time, we sent him to a private, Christian school in the valley. We were spending a great deal of money every month and he seemed to be having many problems. The teachers told us he was an 'average' student with some 'minor' behavioral problems. Since he has been attending Desert Sage, he has excelled! He just finished the 5th grade, and received straight A'2 the entire year! His teachers have been wonderful to him and a joy for us to work with. He received many honors this year, and the last two, not only for his grades, but for his wonderful attitude and many talents. I have nothing but kudos to give to Desert Sage. They saw in my son what we always knew was there, a beautiful, smart child with a great outlook on life!

Posted May 19, 2005

My daughter is completing grade 1 at desert sage. I have had nothing but positive experiences! her teachers have been caring, and have really brought her out of her shell. She has been encouraged to get out of her comfort zone, and has had significant social and academic development. I love this school!

Posted January 6, 2005

Parent envolvement is great. Academics is not the highest I have had my children in.

Posted August 7, 2004

Desert Sage Elementary is an average school. If you want a feel-good, politically correct school this is the place for your children. Keep in mind that this school is a latex-free campus because one student has some type of allergy to anything made with rubber. Your child will not be allowed to use sports equipment common in other elementary schools, such as basketballs, footballs, kickballs, etc., but they can always just hang-out and talk with their friends.

Posted July 2, 2004

After 7 years (K-6), I can say I am glad we chose this school. The principal and staff have always been child-oriented while keeping parents informed. Some teachers have a more personal agenda, but for the most part, they are genuine and concerned. As with most schools, I believe that the more involved one is, the more your child benefits. Desert Sage is no exception. PTA, Volunteer, PAL program, CIT...I've done them all. Time consuming, yes. Worth it...of course. My child benefited the most. After school day care was wonderful too. The Gecko Corral is run by caring and decent people who love children. I'm glad we came here. Very sad to leave.

Posted April 7, 2004

Desert sage is excellent! I am very happy with how the school is run. The teachers are incredible and are very interested in each and every student. A+

Posted November 12, 2003

I am a single father that has a son attending Desert Sage. I feel strongly that the school has added to his stature. The teachers and staff are wonderful. Let us not forget that the Teachers and Staff cannot do this alone. We as parents must be involved.

Posted April 28, 2003

I have three children at Desert sage and to say my children's lives have been enhanced by the quality of a Desert Sage education is putting it mildly. The principal is passionate about every child in Desert Sage. There is a very small turn over of teachers. When teachers leave, it is mainly for pregnancy and to care for their new babies. This to me speaks volumes for the administration of Desert sage. Teachers love to be at this school which is full of passion for educating kids.When I am old and gray I will always remember my kids teachers and the passion for learning that they instilled in my children. Ms.Gearhart is one of the most dedicated teachers on the face of this earth. Ms. Hughes makes learning fun and Ms. Ekstrom is a wonderful way to finish 6th grade and prepare for 7th grade.If Desert sage had a cheer leading squad I would be the first to join! I love Desert Sage and appreciate the teachers, office employees, and even the maintance people are dedicated!

Posted April 1, 2003

A few years ago I taught at Desert Sage. I've taught at four different schools and I have seen the difference! Desert Sage has awesome teachers that give 110%. The teachers there either give it there all...or teach somewhere else. I'm home with my kids for a few years, but if I went back into teaching...I'd head straight for Desert Sage. If you're looking for a great school...you've found it!

Posted March 27, 2003

Every year my 4th grader has gone to Desert Sage, his teacher keeps getting better and better. He has Mrs. Messina and I think she is one of the best teachers DS has.

Posted March 23, 2003

The teachers appear to be experienced and the reputation of the school overall is very good. However we experienced a problem with the orginization of the Kindergarten program in two ways. Initially we were placed on a waiting list for all day Kindergarten and before/after school care. We are full-time working parents so this posed a huge problem for us. Once positions did open we were not informed by the school as promised but by chance with calling the school on our own. And finally, for spring break parents were not informed that child care would not be provided until the Friday BEFORE the break was scheduled. Thus,I believe the orginization of the Kindergarten program is bad and needs to be revised to better serve the parents and children attending Desert Sage.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4035 W. Alameda