Greenbrier Elementary School

Public | PK-6

We are best known for academic/behavioral standards.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 20, 2013

The love of learning and a broad course of study creating background knowledge across grade levels (Preschool through 6th grade) are always on display at Greenbrier Core Knowledge Elementary. Artwork is everywhere: both classic examples of fine art and student creations of world masterpieces. Classic pieces of music are shared with our students at every grade. Classrooms and hallways overflow with project posters, dioramas, working models, and historical timelines. The tools of the trade are always in evidence - more like a living museum than anything else - so that our students can experience for themselves how the greatest ideas were first discovered and what these devices look like today: slide rule, abacus, calculator, hourglass, pendulum clock, and a spring loaded watch; and dictionaries, encyclopedias, and maps of every kind. Learning is the fundamental purpose of our school as we partner with our parents for the success of each Greenbrier student. A collaborative culture, creativity, emotional well being, physical fitness, critical thinking, and research based instructional strategies ensure the highest levels of student success. We encourage you to join our school! Jody J. Brammer, Principal Greenbrier Elementary School

Posted February 5, 2013

I was very nervous when it came time for my child to start school because I had heard all the rumors about the educational system here in Arizona. So when my husband said he thought we should enroll our child in Greenbrier (and we come here through open enrollment) I was skeptical. But now I can't imagine my child anywhere else. The teachers, the staff, the parents and the community itself have helped our child thrive. My child never complains about going to school because of how much fun he has learning. Greenbrier has a great sense of community and is always striving to make improvements where needed. The teachers have open communication and work hard every day to make the day a creative learning experience. I feel my child is years ahead of others because of the one on one time he has had with his teachers. All the technology in the world can't make the difference that the one on one contact between a student and a teacher can. Greenbrier is an extraordinary school where everyone truly cares about our children.

Posted February 3, 2013

Greenbrier is a great school! I choose Greenbrier as our school through open enrollment. I have a first grade son who is absolutely thriving academically! He loves everything about school. He has a teacher who has highly effective classroom management skills, and weekly parent communication regarding curriculum, class work, behavior, and upcoming events. The campus is a beautiful sprawling campus set in a private neighborhood. They implemented a car line for pick up just last year, and it is such a quick, smooth, orderly and safe way to drop off and pick up. I am enjoying the community of parents, kids and staff! I couldn't have picked a better school!

Posted January 25, 2013

Our child has been at Greenbrier since 3 yrs old, starting in PreK and is now in 5th grade. I am thankful most everythng has been POSITIVE from the getgo, which is important for children (and parents). This has instilled a child who loves to learn and loves to go to school. The teachers truly care about the kids, and their job certainly isn't an easy one, dealing with district rules and ever changing new cirriculum, which can be frustrating for everyone. I've read some of the negative comments/reviews and can only assume those are from few that have issues that could be beyond the help and resolution at the school level. Whenever we've had an issue, it was dealt with and there is realization that you can't fix what you don't know is broke, and once they know of issues, they try to fix them. I don't like the car line pick up even though I understand the safety issues (I've seen the way some parents drive and there have been too many "near" misses)! It takes away from parent/event connections. We've been happy at Greenbrier and has been a great school for our child and a great fit. Schools are not a one sizse fits all.

Posted April 13, 2012

We've moved a lot, and this was actually the worst school that our child ever went to. The class was so packed that you could barely breathe. The teacher used a microphone. Special Ed class had more than 20 kids in it. The district psych disqualified my kid from Special Ed, had her jump from doing 2nd grade to 4th grade work, then failed her along all year - straight F's, ok? How was she supposed to "pick up" long division without multiplication? (Now, after much intervention, she's on the honor role at a charter school.) No friends. They wouldn't allow kids to play on the playground before school. When I came to the office one day, a teacher yelled out at my 2 year old boy to go through the right hand door and stay on the path. My kid got detention for reading a book in school - I guess she was supposed to be getting out her notebook - but really? Isn't that a bit, I don't know, military? Last straw? Disgusting boys on bus saying filth to girls. Lots of witnesses, but no help. I went into the office to withdraw her - admin chomping gum couldn't even get up. Since then I've earned a Masters in Special Education, and I'll be 1000x better at my job than they are!

Posted February 11, 2012

Interesting point of view from the principal. All I can say is, "where have you been the last year or so."

Posted June 21, 2011

overall the school is great in all areas. i have two grandchildrenthat attend, i was dissapointed that Kindergarten went to half days but i am sure that she will catch up in first grade. she was very bored, my soon to be 2nd grader loves it.

Posted June 20, 2011

I love working at Greenbrier! I have been at Greenbrier longer than any other school! The reason, I find the Staff to be excellent and wonderful to work with! Everyone cares about making children successful!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 20, 2011

I couldn't be more thrilled with my son's fourth grade experience! I found the teacher to be intutitive, and very motivating for my child. He got him interested in reading again, and made him want to come to go to school everyday!

Posted June 20, 2011

My son has attended Greenbrier since he was in preschool, and he is getting ready to enter 5th grade. I am very pleased with the progress of his education! I have him in at Greenbrier because I feel it is one of the best schools in the district. I have found all of his teachers to be very caring and strive for excellence. They have high expectations for the children both academically and behaviorally. I want that! I want him to be a polite, productive, and well educated citizen. I feel that Greenbrier is doing a good job helping me do that! I find the teachers, office staff, and principal to be wonderful to work with!

Posted May 26, 2011

Greenbrier is a fabulous school! As with any school, it may not be for everyone. If you are looking for a school where your child is NOT challenged, expected to be a decent human being with a some amount of respect for those around him or her, Greenbrier is not for you. On the other hand, if you want your child to learn all he or she can, learn how to be a productive member of society and have teachers who truly care, come on over to Greenbrier. I moved my child to Greenbrier in the second grade and have never regretted it. I find the staff to be very friendly and welcoming. Are there days when they are trying to do their job and not have a lot of time to chat, sure, but I would rather have them doing something in the best interest of my child that talking to me. We also love Mrs. James, the SAGE teacher. My son has flourished in her class. Again, Greenbrier is an awesome school if you are looking for a quality education and are willing to invest some of your own time into your child.

Posted May 15, 2011

I have to agree with the last post. My child has attended this school for five years and it has gone downhill considerably during that time. Unfortunately, the best interest of the child is no longer the main concern at Greenbrier. It seems that keeping as many children as possible enrolled at the school for funding purposes has severely clouded the vision of the principal and has left the staff burnt out and unsupported. I do believe the teachers have the potential of being awesome, but many seem to have become jaded and tired of fighting the "good fight" and the rest are very unprofessional (the music teacher is permitted to display her tattoos and shows videos with foul language and the term dress code simply does not exist with most of the teachers). Also, the SAGE teacher is out a large part of the year without a substitute. If a student was out that much, he or she would be in danger of being expelled. There is also no point in trying to talk to the principal, as she does nothing to try and remedy any problems brought to her attention. It appers that only the trouble maker's parents get her attention. I would not recommend this school.

Posted February 5, 2010

I agree the teachers and staff are awesome, however, the school needs to get tougher with the behavior problems that seem to be rising. Bullying, language and innappropriate discussions need to be handled. Unfortunately, the demographics of the school are changing, and it can be seen in the quality of the curriculm. Don't get me wrong, it soley because of the watering down of what's being taught due to the change in students. The truly bright children are being left behind.

Posted October 20, 2009

This is an awesome school...they really care about their students and help in any given situation! Thank You Greenbrier staff!

Posted October 3, 2009

our teacher's and staff are the best and care very much about our kids.

Posted May 18, 2009

Outstanding in terms of expectations and performance both from teachers and students. The principal is a very caring, devoted educator who truly believes 'all children can learn...no exceptions!'

Posted May 12, 2009

The teachers are wonderful, caring, hardworking, and do an excellent job! My daughter started in the Special Ed Preschool, then I mainstreamed her to kindergarten and now she is a 5th grader and has been an honor roll student. I can't say enough about the principle, she's very committed.

Posted May 12, 2009

We live out of district, and our daughter went to Greenbrier on a variance for kindergarten and first grade. We thought that she might need to make 'neighborhood friends,' so we put her in the local school for second and third grade, but ended up having nothing but problems with the teachers and staff. Even worse, she really didn't seen to be excelling in her academics. We decided to move her back to Greenbrier this year for fourth grade, and she has been on the honor roll all year! She is so happy to go to school every day, and we couldn't be happier with her progress. The teachers and staff are wonderful, and the principal, Miss Brammer, is awesome!

Posted November 28, 2008

Although I think this is still one of the better schools in the district, some of the teachers seem to be really burnt out.

Posted July 21, 2008

My 4 kids went to this school for 5 years and the teachers were great!! But everyone in the office are really bad and have no resepct for parents unless they are made of money and 'fit in' they love to talk about parent behind there back and favor students

Posted June 12, 2008

My son has been attending Greenbrier for 2 years now. His last school did nothing for him at all. What they did do is label him a troubled child. So we transferred him to Greenbrier. These past 2 years my son has blossomed and the troubled child in him has been tamed. The staff at Greenbrier took the time to work with us (the family) and my son, and I am very thankful for their assistance in education my son. There has been such improvement in his behaviors, this attitudes and his home life due to the skilled teachers that they employ. We feel so strongly about this school that we have transferred his sister there also. School is hard enough these days with the struggles that kids face and it should be a safe environment. We trust these people with our most precious gifts. I thank you Greenbrier.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
Clubs
  • Math club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Jody J. Brammer
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 467-5580

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • American Express

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
7th/8th grade- Highland Lakes