Greenbrier Elementary School

Public | PK-6

We are best known for academic/behavioral standards.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 20, 2013

The love of learning and a broad course of study creating background knowledge across grade levels (Preschool through 6th grade) are always on display at Greenbrier Core Knowledge Elementary. Artwork is everywhere: both classic examples of fine art and student creations of world masterpieces. Classic pieces of music are shared with our students at every grade. Classrooms and hallways overflow with project posters, dioramas, working models, and historical timelines. The tools of the trade are always in evidence - more like a living museum than anything else - so that our students can experience for themselves how the greatest ideas were first discovered and what these devices look like today: slide rule, abacus, calculator, hourglass, pendulum clock, and a spring loaded watch; and dictionaries, encyclopedias, and maps of every kind. Learning is the fundamental purpose of our school as we partner with our parents for the success of each Greenbrier student. A collaborative culture, creativity, emotional well being, physical fitness, critical thinking, and research based instructional strategies ensure the highest levels of student success. We encourage you to join our school! Jody J. Brammer, Principal Greenbrier Elementary School

Posted August 12, 2014

Greenbrier welcomed my son thru open enrolment. The office staff were friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. My son's teacher made him feel welcome and the result is a very happy little boy at the end of the day. The school has the feeling of a private school with good security. You can drop your child off with peace of mind knowing he will be happy and safe until you collect him!

Posted July 16, 2014

If you are looking for an Excellent Elementary School you found it! We've been at Greenbrier thru open enrollment for six years headed into our seventh and last sadly. Our Principal is Awesome, the Teachers are Fantastic, and Staff is supportive. We wouldn't have our children go anywhere else! Check it out, visit, you'll see what I mean.

Posted May 31, 2014

Greenbrier is going GLOBAL! Come check out our school. Enroll in an education program that will keep your child motivated to go to school. The Core Knowledge Program, Not to be confused with Common Core, is outstanding and well worth it for a sequential source of learning.

Posted February 23, 2014

My children have been attending Greenbrier on open enrollment for the last 5 years. We have had nothing but positive experiences! The teachers are dedicated to providing their students with quality education while fostering a positive learning environment. Greenbrier will continue to be school of choice!

Posted February 6, 2014

Both of my kids went to this school. The longer I stayed there, the more I realize how bad this school was. The principal her self was a dishonest person. They didn't care about giving students a quality education, they are just there to baby sit and collect their pay check.

Posted January 26, 2014

Barro's Pizza Spirit Night was wonderful. Very well run, excellent food and great drawing prizes. Everyone was welcomed and Greenbrier Pride was evident. Good Job!

Posted June 5, 2013

Best school in the neighborhood by far! Teachers are passionate about their jobs and find new and creative ways to teach and get the children excited about coming to school and learning. The Core Knowledge curriculum sets Greenbrier apart from the other schools and offers a strong foundation for future learning beyond elementary school. The community/parents are close nit, involved and inviting. We WOULD NOT choose another school over Greenbrier for our elementary students! Thank you Greenbrier for all you do and what you stand for!

Posted June 3, 2013

Best school around!! Great teachers, exciting curriculum, wonderful parent involvement! My children have thrived at this school and would recommend to all.

Posted May 28, 2013

We have enjoyed having out kids at Greenbrier for the last 7 years. All three of our children have had wonderful experiences, with great staff and curriculum. Very impressed with the push towards "Core Knowledge" learning. We apply for a variance each year, just to attend Greenbrier. It was the preschool that first drew us in (our local school not having one). We will continue to make the drive each morning despite the fact that they are all beyond preschool age now. The Kindergarten experience was fantastic as well. If you are debating the full day "enrichment program", DO IT! My child learned as much, if not more more, there than in her morning class. Ms. Adams is wonderful and using every opportunity as a teaching experience. Ill never forget meeting my children for lunch and seeing her explain to the whole class in the cafeteria what a kiwi was and where they come from. She utylized multimedia and tapped into all 5 senses throughout the year, making for an awesome experience for the children!

Posted May 22, 2013

Top notch school, teachers and curriculum! Only complaint is that this school doesn't include 7 & 8th grade so our student could stay for two more years. Our family just attended the 6th grade promotion and we were really impressed with the entire evening! The teachers, staff and PTA go out of their way to make every student feel important and their families too. Thank you Greenbrier for a lovely evening and for the many years of teaching and caring for our daughter. Highly recommend this school to all parents that want the very best for their children and their education!

Posted May 21, 2013

What I like about Greenbrier is Core Knowledge, Love & Logic (behavior in a positive way), staff & teachers, campus safety, and PTA! On the flipside, I find the office staff rude & unprofessional (no people skills) and a principal (Miss Brammer) that is disconnected and lacks communication skills with parents, teachers, and the children. I enjoy helping out in my child's class and at school activities. I have recommended Greenbrier to others and they have enrolled their children as well. I let them know to overlook the office staff, because that is NOT the true representation of Greenbrier. My child has grown leaps and bounds through the dedication of their teachers at Greenbrier. My child that attended Greenbrier, but is now in high school, has found what he has learned at Greenbrier has helped him thus far. For that I say, "Thank You, Greenbrier!"

Posted April 11, 2013

I have read all of the terrific comments below regarding Greenbrier and I wanted to add that Extended Day Kindergarten is a wonderful program. It is available for Kindergarten students either as a morning program or an afternoon program. It strongly supports and enhances Core Knowledge for all of Greenbrier's Kindergarten students. Mrs. Adams creates a learning environment that enhances children's creative thinking, problem solving and prepares each student for first grade expectations. It is a wonderful program available to all Kindergarten students through the community education department.

Posted March 15, 2013

I have 3 boys that I choose to send to Greenbrier through Open Enrollment and I couldn't be happier with our school. The teachers and the entire staff care about the students and families and go "the extra mile" for all. I love the Core Knowledge program and can see the benefit that it gives our students over those at other schools. Two of my boys are currently in the SAGE gifted program with Ms. James and I know that she understands and challenges them to be the best they can be academically. I would love to see our school expand to 7th and 8th grade because I believe they are gettinga great education at Greenbrier.

Posted March 13, 2013

My son started at Greenbrier in Preschool. We have loved all of his teachers. Starting off with Mrs. Knaus in preschool, Mrs. Augsburger for kindergarden. In kindergarden my son was having trouble with reading. The teacher got him help with the reading specialist, Mrs. McKinley. By the time my son got to first grade, the teacher, Ms. Bollinger called me at home to let me know my son has passed his bench mark for reading for the first time. She was so happy for my son. I can't say enough wonderful things about how much these teachers really care about their students. The same for his second grade teacher Mrs. Cox. She is a very caring, pleasant and friendly person. My son is now in the 6th grade and we have been very happy with his ALL of his teachers. It will be sad to leave Greenbrier and it's wonderful staff. It's a shame the school does not got up to the 8th grade.

Posted March 5, 2013

My daughter has gone to this school since kindergarten and is in the 6th grade now. I have never had a problem with this school or its employees. Everyone is extremely helpful and fair. The main reason we moved to our house is because we had heard nothing but praise for this school.

Posted March 4, 2013

Great teachers + great support staff + great administrator + great students + great parents = A GREAT SCHOOL
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 15, 2013

Greenbrier's PTA is GREAT!! We just attended the dance nite and it was FUNtastic. Even the teachers were dancing. Everyone was having a great time. We really enjoy the staff and students at Greenbrier. We have been very happy with all the teachers and the education our kids receive.

Posted February 8, 2013

Our child has attended Greenbrier Elementary School from kindergarten through this year as a 6th grader. The staff is outstanding. Their knowledge in academic areas and involvement in providing for the needs of all of the students is exemplary . It would be wonderful to have the addition of 7th and 8th grades so that families in the neighborhood could have students finish an elementary education at this excellent school and go directly to high school from Greenbrier.

Posted February 6, 2013

Great school with excellent teachers, strong leadership and challenging academic programs. Small class sizes allowing for fantastic teacher to student ratios. Highly recommend!

Posted February 6, 2013

Greenbrier excels in all areas and is leaps and bounds above the rest! The principal, teachers and staff are friendly, approachable, available and responsive to students and parents needs. The students are challenged both academically and in character building. The campus is attractive, clean, and most importantly secure. Every teacher our children have had over the years at Greenbrier has been exceptional; always knowledgeable, engaging, and has conducted themselves professionally yet with compassion and kindness. Greenbrier is one of very few schools offering the Core Knowledge program. This program is top notch and in fact gives our children an advantage above the rest! My children have really enjoyed this curriculum; and I can attest that they are keeping the knowledge that they have been given, using it and are able to expand upon it with clarity and understanding. I recognize and appreciate the commitment it takes in providing a top quality school like Greenbrier to our children. My husband and I would like to thank all the staff at Greenbrier for going that extra mile and for truly caring for our most important treasures- our children!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
Clubs
  • Math club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Jody J. Brammer
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 467-5580

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • American Express

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
7th/8th grade- Highland Lakes