Glendale, AZ

Horizon School 4

Posted November 04, 2014
My son is in Kindergarten at Horizon. The first week was a bit rocky with dismissal bell errors, unorganized pick up of children and a lack of communication regarding classroom location. I promptly notified the school of my concerns. I received a letter the same day addressing each of my concerns from the Vice Principal. The system is much better now, and the lines of communication have increased dramatically. The school broadcasts phone messages and emails parents if the call is not answered. Joining the PTA and building a relationship with the teacher has kept me informed. Most importantly my son is very happy and learning quickly. The school uses a Be Kind approach to teach the students Kind Behavior among students their same age and also among students in higher grade levels. My son has a buddy in a higher grade and the other students in the higher grades hi five the younger students. It's a nice form of acknowledgement and encouragement for my son. Parking could be improved and it would also be nice to have all the classes in one building instead of 2 Kinder classes being held in modular buildings. School leadership is always present at the meetings and events.

Posted May 04, 2014
Don't let your children's self esteem or future hang in the balance of the staff at Horizon. I can't imagine having anything nice to say about this school, except the office staff is wonderful. The principal, counselor and teachers are intolerant, patronizing, unorganized and don't show much interest in the long term (or even short term) success of these kids. Six months into the school year I decided to start house hunting in other school districts to get my son out of this unhealthy environment.

Horizon School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
I love this school!!! Its been an amazing 2yrs experience for both of my kids!!! Teachers n stuff have been too!!!!

Posted August 19, 2013
Nice elementary school right next door to a large park. Nice neighborhoods all around with most students walking to school. Excellent teachers and high motivated administrators

Posted May 17, 2012
My child is currently a 7th grader at this school. I can not express enough how frustrating it has been for my child. The horrible bulling that goes on at this school is ridiculous. I have been in constant contact with teachers, counselors and the principals. Nothing has changed and its extremely frustrating when your kid doesn't want to be there and she and other kids suffer emotionally and academically because of a few others. It's not safe, and the staff is not proactive when a parent raises concerns. I am moving my child because in the end my child is my responsibility!

Posted April 28, 2012
My child attend Horizon since kinder, my child is now in the 8th grade. I dont like Glendale School District at all. Classes are over filled, under staffed. Communication with teachers and parents is mostly impossible. Try charter or private over GUSD

Posted March 14, 2012
My 3rd grade son is my 3rd child to attend this school. I can't say enough good things about the school in it's entirety, - from Principal, Ms. Gardner, - thru the many Teachers and Staff I have dealt with over the years. They have a no-nonsense and pro-active attitude toward education and excel at communication with the parent. Kudos to all at Horizon!

Posted April 09, 2011
Horizon school is focused on the students they serve and dedicated to a well rounded curriculum, challenging academics, extra curricular activities, and a safe caring campus. At Horizon you will see a balance of project and product focused assignments as well as paper and pencil assignments. In the primary grades students must meet leveled reading requirements and fluency requirements or be retained. Many middle school students take advanced math classes at Apollo High School while still @ Horizon. After school opportunities include: math and reading tutoring in all grades, guitar classes, drama, chess, tons of sports for girls and boys, and an on campus extended day program! Students particpate in an annual talent shows, field days, PE nights, band concerts, art shows, career nights, science fairs, and more... The Horizon PTA is outstanding at supporting school needs and having functions such as Great Skate Night or Family Dance Nights. Horizon is an amazing school because of the amazing families and staff that pull it together for the kids. If you want to work together to create a caring, academically challenging, diverse school come on down!

Posted December 12, 2008
I was a student at horizon school. Last year was my last year and that school is amazing!

Horizon School 0

Posted December 17, 2007
I have found Horizon to provide challenging academics, some after school tutoring, a variety of sports opportunities, chess club, etc. They have a dedicated and caring staff that motivates students to learn and to do projects and to apply their learning. It is a wonderful school.

Horizon School
8520 N. 47th Ave, Glendale, AZ  85302
Last modified Horizon School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horizon School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top