Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted March 23, 2016
Ms. Emerson is a big part of my kids' lives. They adore her, and I know she always is looking out for their very best interests; but not just for them, for all students at Horizon. We love being Panthers.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted March 23, 2016
The Be Kind People program is very strong at this school. I know Ms. Emerson wants all students not just to do well on tests; she wants them to be good people when they grow up.

Posted March 23, 2016
The staff is experienced and stable, not a revolving door like alot of schools. You can tell administrators really support their teachers' growth and goals. Great learning opportunities for parents. Love the SELS Ms. Weinberg. Could use a little better music program!

Horizon School 4

Posted November 04, 2014
My son is in Kindergarten at Horizon. The first week was a bit rocky with dismissal bell errors, unorganized pick up of children and a lack of communication regarding classroom location. I promptly notified the school of my concerns. I received a letter the same day addressing each of my concerns from the Vice Principal. The system is much better now, and the lines of communication have increased dramatically. The school broadcasts phone messages and emails parents if the call is not answered. Joining the PTA and building a relationship with the teacher has kept me informed. Most importantly my son is very happy and learning quickly. The school uses a Be Kind approach to teach the students Kind Behavior among students their same age and also among students in higher grade levels. My son has a buddy in a higher grade and the other students in the higher grades hi five the younger students. It's a nice form of acknowledgement and encouragement for my son. Parking could be improved and it would also be nice to have all the classes in one building instead of 2 Kinder classes being held in modular buildings. School leadership is always present at the meetings and events.

Posted May 04, 2014
Don't let your children's self esteem or future hang in the balance of the staff at Horizon. I can't imagine having anything nice to say about this school, except the office staff is wonderful. The principal, counselor and teachers are intolerant, patronizing, unorganized and don't show much interest in the long term (or even short term) success of these kids. Six months into the school year I decided to start house hunting in other school districts to get my son out of this unhealthy environment.

Horizon School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
I love this school!!! Its been an amazing 2yrs experience for both of my kids!!! Teachers n stuff have been too!!!!

Posted August 19, 2013
Nice elementary school right next door to a large park. Nice neighborhoods all around with most students walking to school. Excellent teachers and high motivated administrators

Posted May 17, 2012
My child is currently a 7th grader at this school. I can not express enough how frustrating it has been for my child. The horrible bulling that goes on at this school is ridiculous. I have been in constant contact with teachers, counselors and the principals. Nothing has changed and its extremely frustrating when your kid doesn't want to be there and she and other kids suffer emotionally and academically because of a few others. It's not safe, and the staff is not proactive when a parent raises concerns. I am moving my child because in the end my child is my responsibility!

Posted April 28, 2012
My child attend Horizon since kinder, my child is now in the 8th grade. I dont like Glendale School District at all. Classes are over filled, under staffed. Communication with teachers and parents is mostly impossible. Try charter or private over GUSD

Posted March 14, 2012
My 3rd grade son is my 3rd child to attend this school. I can't say enough good things about the school in it's entirety, - from Principal, Ms. Gardner, - thru the many Teachers and Staff I have dealt with over the years. They have a no-nonsense and pro-active attitude toward education and excel at communication with the parent. Kudos to all at Horizon!

8520 North 47th Ave, Glendale, AZ  85302
Last modified Horizon School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.