Kachina Elementary School

Public | K-8 & ungraded | 5 students

Posted February 2, 2014

Kachina is a very caring school to the students/parents and staff. We treat everyone like family and give respect to everyone! When you come on the grounds of Kachina you automatically see the family feeling as you will be greeted with smiles and offers to help you find what you are needing! Always helpful and genuine! Kachina has wonderful teachers/aides and Administration!

Posted January 29, 2014

I am proud parent of two children. My son graduated from 8th grade last year and my daughter is currently in the 3rd grade here at Kachina. I love this school... from the academic rigor, differentiated instruction, family PTSO events, technology integration, athletics, arts, elective choices, after-school programs, great communication, all the way to the friendly front office staff to the leadership team...! I know that my children have received and are receiving a quality education preparing them for a successful future. I know why this school has an "A" rating by the AZ Department of Education, not only do they demonstrate the growth and academic achievement results but they also support the whole family. I heard that they are going to enhance their programs by offering World Languages as an option for next year as well, allowing both students and/or parents to be able to choose a foriegn language to enhance their learning experiences. Wow! Way to go Kachina!

Posted January 29, 2014

Kachina is a home away from home. It is an evironment for students to get a fabulous education, as well as, a nuturing setting. The teachers and staff are kind and caring yet structured and strong.

Posted July 7, 2013

The leadership and teachers at Kachina Elementary are highly supportive of each student and dedicated to their individual success in school. They work with students in amazing ways to nurture their student's self-esteem while instilling the love of learning. They set high academic standards (A-Rated) and still make learning fun for the kids. Kachina is a great option over a charter school, which was where my son attended prior to Kachina.

Posted December 5, 2012

All of the teachers that I have met are so dedicated and committed to their students. The teachers are not only paying attention to their students but genuinely care about them to take the time to really get to know them. Even the music teacher that sees Kaydence once a week has mentioned to me, Kaydence is quite the vocalist. Keep up the great work! The fact that so many staff members address my daughter by name clearly demonstrates their commitment to their students. From you the leaders of the school to the crossing guards, nothing but smiles. ALL THE TIME! I feel that the smiles really set the tone for the environment and attitude of the day. Smiling at work = you love what you do = you are great at what you do = each student WINS! Our family s experience here at Kachina has been anything but ordinary and nothing less of superlative! I couldn t ask for better, more passionate, dedicated or hardworking teachers for my children. Minnesota has sure got some pretty big shoes to fill and thanks to you, my standards have been set pretty high. Thank you so much for all that you do, the late hours you put in and having the ability to wear a smile amidst the noise of all those kids!

Posted October 30, 2009

While as a parent I see little help for students that are struggling. Some of the teachers take great care in making sure that parents receive needed information while others depend mostly on the child. I currently have two children attending and this is their second year staggered. I had to send them to another district just to get my daughter an IEP as well as some assistance with her O.H.I and 504 plan. I personal am studying to be a teacher and realize the impact a teacher has on a class. My hope is that the principal will commit to what he says.

Posted April 1, 2009

my son has been going to kachina for 2 years now and i have nothing but good things to say. the staff is always very nice and helpful! i'm a very involved mother,( i have been on every field trip for my 1st grader)and i like that the teachers keep you very informed about your childs behavior and progress. my son had mrs.hilgart for k and she was amazing! she gets down on the kids level and makes it fun for them. love this school! won't ever take him out!

Posted August 28, 2007

I've had 2 students attend this school over the course of 12 years. As a parent, I would like to see the principal out there talking to parents, watching students and overseeing his school community a little more. I drop off and pick up my child daily. I have only actually seen the principal outside 1 morning. The ladies in the office, on the other hand are awesome. The teachers are very caring, they are willing to go the extra mile for every student. They are very approachable. I have always felt they have listened to my concerns and offered excellent feedback regarding my child. I am very impressed that the teachers network with the high school teachers and teach to the expectations the students will have upon entering high school. They do an excellent job of providing the jr high students with real world experiences.

Posted July 9, 2007

LOVE this school.. The principal is very involved with all the students on a daily basis, my kids just love him. The teachers and the women in the office are a must have for every school.. If we ever move I will drive my children to keep them at Kachina !

Posted July 5, 2007

While the teachers are caring and fantastic, the principal and intervention specialist lack fundamental [skills] needed to keep children safe. It does not matter how involved the parents are, the principal will do nothing. If your child is weak and cannot stand up for themself, re-think enrolling your children here. The teachers are by far the most caring and wonderful teachers I've ever seen though.

Posted November 9, 2006

Katchina has been a great school for my kids. I have two students there presently and all the interactions I have had have been positive, include reviews for special needs and gifted programs. The principle has responded to my concerns or addressed improper behavior as needed, including my own children s. My daughter worked in a class through FTA and she too had a wonderful experience with the students and the staff. I would recommend the school to anyone.Most of the teachers are proactive. I look forward to my youngest child starting there next year.

Posted February 22, 2006

Kachina gets amazing results

Posted August 29, 2005

I had 4 kids at this school for 2 years and I think the other parents are right. The teachers are excellent(except for a few)but the principal doesn't have time to deal with kids that need the extra help. My son was in resource with a great teacher and did very well, but it took a lot to even get him in the class. Overall, my kids miss the school. We love you Ms. Hoffman.

Posted May 16, 2005

I am a graduate of this school from 1995. I really enjoyed the time I had there and feel that I recieved a great education. I am currently a teacher in a different district, and realize how much better my grade school was in comparison. I would recommend Kachina to anyone moving into the area. Many of the teachers that I had when I went there are still there, which I think says something about the school and the district. :)
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 20, 2005

I have 3 kids going to katchina and 1 more due to go next year, have had a few problems with my kids comming home complaining bout bullies and teachers dont do anything about it but i think that is probably normal but my kids seem to be getting the education they need to survive in life. I personally dont see the upper education, no teachers or programs that help the slower, my 13 yr old is struggling and I have tried to get help but get told he is not handicapped so there is nothing they can do that i have to go to a dr and prove its medical not just he a slow learner seems stupid that if ya child failing he cant get the help. I get into the school as much as I can and kids are in a few extra activities. Its an ok school.

Posted April 8, 2005

So far this school has been dissapointing, I moved from another district, one of my children failed at this school so much, he had special needs, the school (prinicple) was uncooperative and offered no assistance. Since moving my child to another school the reports home are now all A's!!! My 2nd child has had some issues at this school, however I have found that except one EXTREMELY POOR teacher, dealing with the teachers direct is more effective than dealing with the priniciple. AS long as you have a middle of the line student you will be fine here.

Posted April 4, 2003

My Daughters have attended Kachina for 3 years now. The Teachers and staff make an extra effort to make sure the student's needs are meet. I've only had positive experience with the school and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Posted March 29, 2003

I think the teachers go the extra mile for our children. They provide a safe environment and work with each childs needs.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Gym

Fax number
  • (623) 412-4509

• Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options