Wildflower School

Public | PK-8 | 476 students

Master Student Council

Posted October 17, 2013

Wildflower is a small school but a little Gem of a school. The staff and Principal have worked hard to get the school score up to a B, not just by pushing the aims test but by introducing new strategies and techniques to help the students improve. The plus of this school is that it is a neighborhood school and the availability of the teachers and enrichment programs makes it easier to get are kids more actively involved. Whether it is with art, music or sports the students have the opportunity to find there niche or just experience something new. Improvements I would like to see would be in the cosmetics of the school buildings and playgrounds, as the school is over 10 years old and is starting to show wear and tear. Also, more parent involvement which is very limited, more activities could be planned and implemented for our students if more parents would take an active role in volunteering.

Posted October 17, 2013

Wildflower is a wonderful school, Front desk staff are always friendly and very helpful and they always smile and have a great attitude. Principal is very helpful and is always willing to talk with parents. Teaching staff care about the children and they make learning their top priority. I am also kept up to date with my kids progress by phone and email. At anytime I want an in person meeting the staff make themselves available. The principal is Awesome and fair and really cares about her students. Currently I have 3 children attending this school and I am very happy with the school. When my son was in Mrs. Nuness class a few year ago she was the best teacher he ever had. Mrs. Nuness has a caring heart and great teaching method. The Principal is Wonderful and Shari Gray is a very caring and wonderful educator I am thankful for Ms Gray and Dr, McMillie.

Posted July 23, 2013

Wildflower is a fantastic school that has made an incredible turn around over the past 3 years under the direction of Dr. McMillie. My children have been "Wildcats" for 6 years and they have had some phenomenal teachers. Wildflower is a "Kids at Hope" school and the motto - "Everyone can Succeed No Exceptions" holds firm and true with the climate of the teachers and learners. My children (5th and 8th grade) made tremendous growth academically this pass year due to the dedication of their amazing teachers and my children's ability persevere. The school is small and unique. The office staff is kind and courteous. Always willing to answer any question and very supportive. The campus is clean and newly updated. My son was involved in Student Council and the council is award winning and focuses on Community Service. The school travels to D.C. and has an active NJHS charter. The SPED department is outstanding. The PTO is growing and needs parent volunteers. The campus is safe and provides a caring atmosphere. I highly recommend Wildflower School.

Posted November 3, 2012

Great neighborhood and school, the people are very friend and teachers are excellent. This area will be a great housing market before long, on of fastest growing area's. Banner is building a new facility here too!

Posted May 1, 2012

We love this school and the staff. Our children are learning so much and there is so much going on at this school. There are many after school activities including after school tutoring. They have sports and a drama club. My daughter is in band and she loves it. The standards are very high. We came from out of state and I was nervous that my kids would be bored. In fact they actually had some catching up to do!

Posted March 13, 2012

My children go to Wildflower School for 4 years now. I've loved this school from the beginning and each year they get better. The new principal is trying to get students and parents more involved in the school and I think she is doing a wonderful job. The staff there really care about the safety and education of our children. I have 1 more child that will be staring kinder in 2 years and he also will be going to Wildflower.

Posted September 11, 2011

I really like this school. The teachers and the principal are great. I think that they really care about the students. I feel that there is a lot of good communication between home and the school. On another note, I wish that some of the older posts here could be removed. It isn't fair to judge the school on what happened three years ago or more. The standards are very high and the staff expects a lot from students. I want my children to do well and learn. Students need to work hard and parents need to work hard with their children.

Posted July 21, 2011

When my son started Kindergarten, he was at a charter school in the area that had received 9/10 on this site. It was horrible there. The staff was rude, and the 5/6 year olds were taught in a very militant manner. Awful. We pulled him out after 2 months and moved him to Wildflower, which was only a few blocks away from our new home. The staff is amazing. The office staff knows who I am when I walk through the door, and they are always helpful and pleasant. His K teacher was outstanding. It was very evident she cared for her students, and I couldn't have picked a better teacher for my son. For some areas of improvement, I wish there were more opportunities for parents to get involved on the school level, not just helping out in the classroom. There aren't really any extra curricular activities for the younger kids, so those have to be supplemented with clubs not associated with the school.

Posted July 5, 2011

My kids really love this school. It is small and they get a lot of extra attention. The teachers really care about the kid. The front office staff is nice and efficient. It is clear that the staff really cares about student safety. I'm very happy to be able to send my kids to Wildflower School.

Posted June 28, 2011

This school has exceeded my expectations by far. I was a little concerned with the previous reviews, but I haven't had ANY of the same experiences. I have two children who attend Wildflower and have been there since Kinder. Every teacher has been amazing (and I have a high standard for education workers). My son had special needs in Kinder and 1st grade and is also a part of the gifted program. Both these programs are commendable, and serve to compliment the fantastic education experience they get. I don't mean to sound judgemental, but I noticed a lot of the poor reviews were older, and were poorly written. Perhaps the issues have since been resolved, or perhaps the parents didn't place a high enough value on education to work with their children at home. I've noticed a high correlation between the parents who take time to be involved in their child's education and the children who have positive educational experiences.

Posted October 10, 2010

Some great things are happening at this school. I love the new principal and the changes that she is making. As a parent I can tell that the teachers and the principal really care about the kids. I am very happy with the education my children are receiving.

Posted January 14, 2010

Im a 7th grader at wildflower. And ive been there since kindergarten. This school is great
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 18, 2009

My daughter started kindergarden this year. I was worried afte reading past reviews, but I love ths school! Her teacher, Ms. Gibbs is great! Keep up the good work Wildflower!

Posted April 29, 2009

This school is so unorganized and the principal and student advisor don't do anything to improve it

Posted April 10, 2009

I am the Mother of a second grader that had attended this school since Kinder and I am very pleased with the individual attention she receives. I am happy that their is a program where gifted students are recognized and challenged.

Posted June 5, 2008

I have 2 boys that attended Kindergarten this year and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised how caring and supportive the teachers were. After reading the other reviews, I was a bit concerned about sending my sons here however after completing this year I am happy to say that I am looking forward to them attending 1st grade at Wildflower

Posted November 3, 2007

I agree with the latest three parent postings. My neice (7th grade) and nephew (4th grade) both attend Wildflower Elementary and are getting a terrible education, not only this- they don't feel safe with the 'cliques' in the school and the adminiatration staffs lack of dealing with these issues. Wildflower has a terrible reputation in Goodyear, AZ. If you have a choice, do not let your children attend this school! Get a variance!

Posted November 2, 2007

I have had all three of my children in Wlidflower from the beginning of their education. My eldest is now in 7th grade (I also have one in 5th and one in 3rd). They all are in need of different learning styles and while I think the teachers are not given the guidance from the principle I find that my kids needs are not always met. I made sure my kids were placed in this school when we moved to Arizona but now wonder if the education at this particular school has been lost in the shuffle. I have been a bit outspoken with the staff and the principle and would say that I wish the old principle was still here. I find that we have a problem with leadership at this school. Until the shift in command changes I am not sure if the school will get better.

Posted August 26, 2007

I have been dealing with this school for the past 4 years.With one child that has a IEP and the other that is in 1st grade.This school has done nothing, for my child. The staff has more extra actives, for them selfs then the children.My children have fell way behind,I have had to pull my 3 grader. DR.Laura is a joke.He has never once got back with my husband or I on some of are complaints. no PTA,no honor roll,I am moving because of this school. My special needs kid has been removed,is now in one of the best charter school this state has.My 1st grader hates school now. cries everyday. The lunchroom is a joke. Wildflower needs help.

Posted July 10, 2007

its horrible my kids arnt learning anything

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Master Council - Student Council (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Special olympics

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
  • National Honor Society

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Kyann McMillie
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (623) 772-5220

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Common Core
  • Multi-aged
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Skyway Church

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • National Honor Society
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom