No rating

St John Vianney Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Goodyear

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $124,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,100.

Posted June 14, 2014

We moved to Arizona in 2011 from the Midwest and I relied on these reviews in making my decision to send my kids here. I feel compelled to write a current review for future families. This school is VERY behind academically. Each grade seems a full year behind. Our first year there, my kids learned nothing. The second year, I saw their standardized test scores PLUMMET. Constant teacher turnover means no continuity. They let go great math teacher with 17 yrs at that school and replaced with gym teachers wife who had NO teaching degree or experience. It was a DISASTER. Almost all the students who sat for Catholic high school exam were required to take remedial summer math for TWO years as a requirement of acceptance. I checked with public school to see what their curriculum was for the grades my children were in and we were WAY behind what they were doing. I finally moved my kids to another Catholic school and found that they were more than a year behind in all subjects. I have since run into many families who also made the move from SJV and they say their kids are still having problems 3-4 yrs later because of how far behind they were when they moved. SJV is good for ESL families.

Posted June 9, 2011

My children have been attending St John Vianney for several years. This has the best decision for my family. The faculty and staff are competent, caring and provide each student a well-rouded education. Parents want to be involved due to the welcoming atmosphere of the school. SJV is very fortunate to have the daily presence of two religious orders: Salesian sisters and Holy Cross priests. I highly recommend St. John Vianney!

Posted May 30, 2011

I have three children attending Saint John Vianney and I can honestly say that it is the best decision that I could have made for them. They are challenged academically and I appreciate how their teachers care for them. You just don't get this one-on-one attention in other schools. The combination of the Saleisian Sisters and Holy Cross priests make this school one of a kind! If you are even considering SJV for your kids, I encourage you to come to the campus and check it out. You will not be sorry.

Posted March 7, 2011

We have much to thank the Lord for! Our school recently went through the Accreditation process and was rated highly effective with Catholic Identity noted as a strength! This goes to show everyone that when we trust in God and work hard incredible things can happen! Kudos to the awesome faculty and staff for their commitment to Catholic Education. Way to Go folks and celebrate your great accomplishments! Praise the Lord!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 20, 2010

I am overall happy with the school my child has learned more than I every could have imagined from read-writing and the religious education. I am a little concerned about the implication-emphasis that the school has in regards to Latino families being left out. The principal has started a Latino parents group. I think that will divide the school rather than unite.

Posted February 26, 2010

The academics here are outstanding! I feel so blessed to have my children here. The middle school program i absolutely phenomonal! I love the fact that they have 'electives'. This school is a very close knit school and has a true Catholic identity! We are blessed to have Holy Cross Fathers & Salesian Sisters here.

Posted January 26, 2010

SJV is a very good school for our family. Our kids are thriving and the entire atmosphere provides the environment for all students to succeed. The Salesian Sisters model positivity and help the students learn Catholic values. The school's benchmarking and standardized test score improvements demonstrate a faculty that is going above and beyond to help our children learn.

Posted December 11, 2009

The entire academic experience is excellent at SJV. From the things you can measure (test scores, benchmark results, participation) to the things you can't (sense of community, encouragement for all students to achieve, character building) SJV receives top marks! We are in our 2nd yr at SJV. Due to job transfers, we can compare SJV to 3 other schools in the past 5 yrs. SJV is our clear favorite. My children themselves give testimonials all the time. These are true: My daughter was preparing to put some of her birthday money in the bank, but she handed half to me and said she wanted to use it towards her tuition. She said she was so grateful that she could attend SJV that she wanted to contribute. My son recently commented that he felt bad for a classmate who had to miss 2 days of school, because he LOVES to go school!

Posted December 9, 2009

My students have attended St. John Vianney since Septemer 2006. We love St. John Vianney. It is an awesome school. Our ITBS scores this year are incredible. All teachers follow diosecan standards and we have many sucessful alumni. Well worth the cost.

Posted September 4, 2009

Administration and a few teachers are pulling down a school with a lot of potential.

Posted August 21, 2009

All schools are going through tremendous transitions right now. SJV is no different. The education that my child is receiving there is top-notch. The personalized attention and spiritual foundation she is getting are simply not available in public schools. The school is worth the money!

Posted July 17, 2009

Run far away from St. John Vianney. It is a sinking ship. There have been many poor decisions made by administration that will continue to harm the future of this school. The curriculum is watered down, standards are not being met because of poor management and disorganization. This school is failing. Teachers and parents are very unhappy. If you want a good, quality education...Take your money elsewhere!

Posted July 16, 2009

This school is in trouble. Looks like too many unanswered questions, teachers, parents and students leaving. The worst condition it has been in years.

Posted May 7, 2008

Our children have been blessed by attending this school. Our children use to go to public school and there is a high difference in the way they act by morals, respect, spiritually, and etc. I'm very pleased by the staff in school and parish.

Posted April 16, 2008

I have been a student at St John VIanney for almost two years this coming May. I can honestly say I love the teachers! They're really awesome! This school has taught me so much, spiritually and academically! I am now one of the top students, giving me the name 4.0 and without the help of the teachers here at St John Vianney, I would not ahve been anywhere near where I am today!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 6, 2008

As Dr. Phil says, when you know better you do better. This school is going through a transformation and when it completes it's process I'm sure it will be an excellent school. For now, in some subjects is better than a public school here.

Posted February 2, 2008

My wife been sending our four boys here for two yrs now and there is only one thing I can say is a blessing!

Posted July 18, 2007

My 2 children have been attending this catholic school for 2 years, and I thought I really no choice because of the low schools in this area. My husband and I did not want to pay the high price in education, but we are so happy with this school. My children have always been high learners, but now there being challenged. Not only the best education is taught at St. John Vianney but they also dont tolorate what public schools have too. They test the students here with a test that is compared to the AIMS and this school was scored as High Performance 2006-2007. Parents remember education is expensive but Ignorance is priceless.

Posted March 24, 2007

Too much teacher turnover! Inconsistent with the instructions to the kids cause.inconsistent teachers!

Posted January 16, 2007

We have had a very positive first year experience. Our daughter is in pre-school and her teachers, Mrs. Zuleger and Mrs. Garcia are wonderful, caring teachers. She has learned so much in the first semester and not just academically. They are also being taught self control and problem solving, in addition to religious education. Her specific classroom is run well and I am very pleased that we made the decision to send her to St. John Vianney. My only concern, being a first year parent, is that in the first semester I have seen 4 teachers resign their positions. This has not affected our daughter personally, but it does worry me that this could happen to her one year. Parent involvement is great and we feel very welcome here. Overall, we couldn't be happier with our decision to send our daughter here.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ignacia Carrillo
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Phoenix