9-12 & Ungraded
Goodyear, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,497

Posted May 30, 2014
This school is awesome! As a former student ik that our drug habit has gotten worse but our test scores improved. This year in 2014 we have had the highest graduating class. And we are tied for 5th with test scores. Me and all of my friends ik have met or exceeded aims. Maybe there is like one or two that hasnt. The main thing you see at DE thats bad is weed. But you smell it maybe once every 2 weeks. Its very rare. Our athletics are okay. Baseball, Softball, Tennis, and Football are great. I would recommend you come to Desert Edge for the great school spirit and the awesome test scores.

Posted June 19, 2011
After reading the other reviews, I just had to add my two cents to the mix. My daughter was a Sophomore this past academic year and I tend to agree with the students comments of the school. We have been active at the school since our daughter started and we have found both the educators and the administrative staff to be very receptive and supportive. The academics are well balanced and many AP and honors classes are offered to get a head start on college. I am proud we have a student in Desert Edge and look forward to two more years like the last two. By the way, our daughter is very active in the Advanced Placement (AP) classes, so if they were lacking in that area, we would know it.

Posted May 14, 2011
Okay so I am a Sophomore at Desert Edge High School right now. My brother graduated in the second graduating class of 2007. So I have pretty much been around this school for awhile. I want to clarify a few things one of the parents posted on March 30, 2011. Desert Edge is not a "large an active drug culture". This post was submitted by a parent. They wouldn't necessarily know. I have been here for 2 years so I would know. My brother went there for 4 years so he would know too. If Desert Edge is so bad like that parent claims it to be then why I kid you not is there at least 1 student every one or two months transferring from Verrado? Desert Edge has great caring teachers. There is a drug problem at our school, but it is very little. Teenagers are constantly exploring new things & trying new stuff. Don't give the school a bad name 'cause students try this all around the world. Desert Edge has an AMAZING athletic program. Especially in Football, Cheer, Men's Basketball, Softball, Baseball, and Track. All these sports in the 2010-2011 season have made it to the state playoffs. As a student of Desert Edge i would highly reccomend this school if your moving to the West Valley.

Posted March 30, 2011
This is an unimpressive school. The academics, with the exception of a few excellent teachers, are mediocre at best. The students are loud and behave innapropriately. There is a large and active drug culture within the school. The administration is top-heavy and runs the school ineffectively. The "academy" program being instituted next year is based off of incorrect assumptions of job availability and locks students into one of three fields of study. The program is a waste of money and doomed to fail. The school also has an oversized focus on athletics and not enough focus on academics. Parents, Get on to the waiting list for a variance to Verado as quickly as you can. Don't send your kids hear.

Desert Edge High School 3

Posted March 30, 2011
DE is not the best school out there but it is definitely a good school. The AP World History And APUSH(AP US History) is amazing. The school does have have problems with admin and it is focused heavily on sports but their are also programs for college and other careers like dental assistance, cosmetology, and auto mechanics. The comment below me mentioning Verrado has got it wrong. Desert Edge is not "a large and active drug culture." Yes there is student who do drugs, like in any school, but I've heard of Verrado's infamous courtyard used for hook ups during the school day. All schools have their rumors. Although it may not be amazing it is a good school and definitely worth checking out. The one thing this school has that no other in the district has is an AMAZING Student Government.

Desert Edge High School 3

Posted February 17, 2011
The school seems to push so much after school activity but also sends home the same amount of homework as any other school. It's unfair how they want us involved but also expect our work to get done.

Desert Edge High School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
I love this school beacause there is such a good spirit and great teachers

Posted May 11, 2010
We have had three children go through this school, There are many good teachers, but unfortunately many poor ones. The poor ones know less than my children and seem to be there only to coach. The way administration handles problems is atrocious. The buck seems to get passed. They make a huge deal out of small infractions, but push the major ones under the rug. Thank goodness my children are done after this year. Another thing, the counselors will try and push the AP classes telling you that it will help your child's grade point average. We found out that colleges could care less about weighted GPAs and only look at unweighted ones. They admitted that the district tells them to push those classes, why?

Posted May 02, 2010
I graduated Desert Edge in '07. My brother's class was the first class to graduate. When I went there it was not bad at all. I found it easily to get along with the teachers and found them very understanding of issues that high schoolers are going through. There was a vast amounts of clubs and classes. I did find the classes to be the right amount of students and in my honors classes there wasn't a lot of trouble with students. The only downfall that I have to say was the 'mosh pit' of students that would be in the hallway while trying to get to class and everybody waiting for the bell to just run into class last minute. It was ridiculous at times; but that is high schoolers for you. Kids are kids, what can you do? :)

Posted May 02, 2010
I am very dissapointed with this school, is horrible, being part of the same school district you can see the difference between Desert Edge and Verrado Academics programs. Verrado is design to have succesfull people going to University right away like pre-enginering programs, Desert Edge is desing to put kids right away at work force beacause is not expectacion to sent them to College. No idea WHY schools have differents aproach if they belong to same district, NO IDEA WHY we can not have the right to pick up the school is better for our kids. Mayority of teachers as Desert Edge are rude, careless, no discipline, no organization, kids do whatever they want, kissing, rubing eachother at the middle of the halls. Administration peple worse, no cortesy at all. My kid is already attending this school for the last year AND IS A MESS.

Desert Edge High School
15778 West Yuma Road, Goodyear, AZ  85338
Last modified Desert Edge High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Edge High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top