9-12 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Desert Edge High School 5

Posted November 20, 2015
I disagree with a lot of the reviews. First, I generally don't look at student reviews because kids can be so condemning and bias in their views. So I look at the parents reviews with more weight. With that said, with any school you get out of it, what you put into it. There is a web portal (ParentVue) that gives you up to date information in all aspects of your student's life at the school. I would always begin there. I get responses from the teachers and staff (via email) the same day or within 24-72 hours. I made an impromptu visit to the school to check on my 11th grader who transferred from a charter school in Peoria, Arizona in the 3rd quarter of last year. I was met by the head of security (it was just after school had ended for the day and our student was supposed to be in after school tutoring) who took me to her classroom and she was there. The staff member gave me valuable insight and during the conversation one of the assistant principals came back into the building. After being introduced, he stated he needed to talk to me. He was professional and told me he had just moved my student two different teachers because she needed to be in a more structured environment. I appreciate that kind of concern. That kind of candor from both staff members is valuable. I have had easy access to the teachers and I see the complete lessons assignment by assignment. What else can you ask for? Some parents I feel demand too much from these administrators and educators. Some of the onus falls upon parents to follow-up, communicate and do their part in their child's education. We can't continue to blame our educators and take a hands off approach when it comes to our kids. It is OUR responsibility to do more sitting down with our children and going old school (like doing homework with them daily, being hypervigilant about the kids that our children are around and dropping in unannounced for school visits with educators). We are the ones to lead and facilitate with our schools. So again, it is more of what both you and your student put into your school that determines the output that you receive the majority of the time. Desert Edge is a very good school that has a for the most part great educators and staff that engage and challenge our children. Look at the national rankings and reviews.

Desert Edge High School
Grateful to: Staff member

Posted November 20, 2015
The assistant principal Mr. Saulsby and the head of security Ms. Zamora were very helpful.

Posted August 05, 2015
Desert edge high school is a average school it's has good quality and horrible quality like the teachers are understandable and bad cause the hallways to every class ate always crowded

Desert Edge High School 1

Posted February 04, 2015
This school is horrible. The administration is rude and just pretend to listen,and they completely discard what your complaint or suggestion, they also play favorites. They also don't give us the resources we need to be successful, such as textbooks that are up to date or textbooks at all, then the teachers get blamed for horrible test scores without proper resources and misconduct of the students, even though the students here are horrible in character and in knowledge. I am a junior here, and I wish the school would stop spending, so much money on sports and more in the class rooms. The principal is the worst because she authorizes unnecessary spending, like painting hallways that perfectly good the way they are.

Posted May 30, 2014
This school is awesome! As a former student ik that our drug habit has gotten worse but our test scores improved. This year in 2014 we have had the highest graduating class. And we are tied for 5th with test scores. Me and all of my friends ik have met or exceeded aims. Maybe there is like one or two that hasnt. The main thing you see at DE thats bad is weed. But you smell it maybe once every 2 weeks. Its very rare. Our athletics are okay. Baseball, Softball, Tennis, and Football are great. I would recommend you come to Desert Edge for the great school spirit and the awesome test scores.

Posted June 19, 2011
After reading the other reviews, I just had to add my two cents to the mix. My daughter was a Sophomore this past academic year and I tend to agree with the students comments of the school. We have been active at the school since our daughter started and we have found both the educators and the administrative staff to be very receptive and supportive. The academics are well balanced and many AP and honors classes are offered to get a head start on college. I am proud we have a student in Desert Edge and look forward to two more years like the last two. By the way, our daughter is very active in the Advanced Placement (AP) classes, so if they were lacking in that area, we would know it.

Posted May 14, 2011
Okay so I am a Sophomore at Desert Edge High School right now. My brother graduated in the second graduating class of 2007. So I have pretty much been around this school for awhile. I want to clarify a few things one of the parents posted on March 30, 2011. Desert Edge is not a "large an active drug culture". This post was submitted by a parent. They wouldn't necessarily know. I have been here for 2 years so I would know. My brother went there for 4 years so he would know too. If Desert Edge is so bad like that parent claims it to be then why I kid you not is there at least 1 student every one or two months transferring from Verrado? Desert Edge has great caring teachers. There is a drug problem at our school, but it is very little. Teenagers are constantly exploring new things & trying new stuff. Don't give the school a bad name 'cause students try this all around the world. Desert Edge has an AMAZING athletic program. Especially in Football, Cheer, Men's Basketball, Softball, Baseball, and Track. All these sports in the 2010-2011 season have made it to the state playoffs. As a student of Desert Edge i would highly reccomend this school if your moving to the West Valley.

Desert Edge High School 1

Posted March 30, 2011
This is an unimpressive school. The academics, with the exception of a few excellent teachers, are mediocre at best. The students are loud and behave innapropriately. There is a large and active drug culture within the school. The administration is top-heavy and runs the school ineffectively. The "academy" program being instituted next year is based off of incorrect assumptions of job availability and locks students into one of three fields of study. The program is a waste of money and doomed to fail. The school also has an oversized focus on athletics and not enough focus on academics. Parents, Get on to the waiting list for a variance to Verado as quickly as you can. Don't send your kids hear.

Posted March 30, 2011
DE is not the best school out there but it is definitely a good school. The AP World History And APUSH(AP US History) is amazing. The school does have have problems with admin and it is focused heavily on sports but their are also programs for college and other careers like dental assistance, cosmetology, and auto mechanics. The comment below me mentioning Verrado has got it wrong. Desert Edge is not "a large and active drug culture." Yes there is student who do drugs, like in any school, but I've heard of Verrado's infamous courtyard used for hook ups during the school day. All schools have their rumors. Although it may not be amazing it is a good school and definitely worth checking out. The one thing this school has that no other in the district has is an AMAZING Student Government.

Posted February 17, 2011
The school seems to push so much after school activity but also sends home the same amount of homework as any other school. It's unfair how they want us involved but also expect our work to get done.

Desert Edge High School
15778 West Yuma Road, Goodyear, AZ  85338
Last modified Desert Edge High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Edge High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top