K-8 & Ungraded
Goodyear, AZ

Desert Thunder 5

Posted September 02, 2011
My child has a 504 plan for her food allergy. The administration has been outstanding on accomidating her needs as well as her teachers. She had been attending for 2 years now and we really couldn't be happier. The staff is friendly and caring and the education she is receiving is great!

Desert Thunder 3

Posted June 01, 2011
My oldest is a 3rd grader who has an IEP and receives services threw the school. The services provided are bellow my expectations due to lack of individualized attention and slow process. My son has the same issue he started the year w/, unable to build clear thought sentences verbally and in written form. Due to his home room teacher he is ending the year on a descent note but could have been better if after school services had been available. As for my first grader he started the year on a good note but unfortunately is ending it poorly due to not doing well in reading and writing. Threw out the year I asked for tutoring and was denied multiple times due to services not being available. I was also advised his reading would pick up and not to worry. We help him w/ reading and writting on top of doing 2 -3 pages of home work a night w/ spelling. By the time his assigned work is completed he would be burnt out and our study time was always a struggle. He wasn't challenged in anyway and I trully believe he coasted by and his needs were ignored. Over all, DT is a good school, safe, clean, staff are approachable and the meals are balanced, tasty but can be small in portion.

Posted December 18, 2010
I attend Alhambra Traditional School, and now I am moving within the range of the school district here. I soon will be attending Desert Thunder. While reading the schools website, I saw things that many students would love. (Well from ATS at least) 2 weeks of winter and spring break, easy academics, and an easy grade scale. At Alhambra Traditional they have higher leveled academic procedures, a tougher grading scale, and the best scores in Arizona. I like ATS but some of the teachers there are... well just.... bad; but when reading reviews and the school website, I saw that many students that have atteneded DT have been beaten by their classmates, teachers are very strict in a hateful manner, and there is a uniform. The uniform is just a way to make a terrible school look professional. I do not look forward to changing schools here, and would recommend for you NOT to sent your child here.

Posted December 08, 2010
I have had 2 kids in Desert Thunder and I have not been happy with the quality. My son was punched in the stomach and when he told the teachers did nothing. We weren't the first family to have this kind of issue. My son was terrified of 1st grade teacher and I have never see such fear in his eyes. He had trouble expressing himself so we never found out why he was so scared. He peed his pants every day and was never sent to change yet he smelled from a mile away. Never had an accident before. I pulled him imediately after seeing his fear of his teacher and I now home school him. He's back to being a happy out going kid. Now my daughter now in 1st begs me to home school her and I am not an easy teacher. She has speech issues and I have had NO communication with them and I am just trying to find out if she even goes like she is supposed too. They after 2 months in school have already asked me to hold her back next year since she can't read. No offer to get her help or test her for LD's. I had to request testing and it's been a month and I have heard nothing!!! I plan on pulling her and Home schooling her very soon!!

Posted May 05, 2010
In response to the 6th grader posting 4/15/10. I agree with you, some of the teachers are inappropriate, catty, vindictive, immature and often in plain sight cold. I have a clear knowledge of this due to being a parent of this school and having to deal with the teachers behavior. No matter how polite you are never and I mean never question a teacher at this school. I'm sorry you as a child had to deal with this, they are the adult.

Desert Thunder 4

Posted May 05, 2010
My daughter is in kindergartner at DT. She is our first child to attend school and is doing wonderful. By February, not even seven months into school year, she was reading on her own, could count up to 100, was introduced to other cultures around the world, learned about geography and is now very familiar with simple addition and subtraction. I have compared her learning with other children in the family that attend different schools in the same school district, all the children are only 1-3 months apart. (5 children total) and she is ahead by far. As a parent I feel the teachers are doing a great job. One of the things I feel needs improvement is the cafeteria food. The cooks serve the food waaaay in advance and by the time the children get it, ITS COLD!!!

Desert Thunder 0

Posted May 05, 2010
School is great and I love the way they have set up student drop off and pick up. ALL children are picked up after only 15 minutes:-) All student's live close enough that parents can walk, if they choose to. Only thing I hate is the uniforms, so borring! At least do one top color and one bottom. There's a reason they are called uniforms, having 5 different color tops and 2 different color bottoms doesn't make sense.

Desert Thunder 2

Posted April 15, 2010
I am in 6th grade and have never been to a school so horrible. The students and teachers are extremely inappropriate. Some teachers are wonderful others are absolutely horrible. Do not even think about sending your child/children here i can almost guarantee that if you came from the schools i was in you would as well be upset.

Desert Thunder 0

Posted December 04, 2009
I am so disheartened by all the school districts in the greater Phoenix area. My daughter is currently attending Desert Thunder and this school is no exception to the poor quality of education children receive in this state. We have recently moved here from the Mid-west and both of my children have never seen teachers and staff that care so little about childrens education. You must be your child's best advocate for a good education.

Desert Thunder 4

Posted August 12, 2009
My Kinder and 2nd grdr are new to DT School this year. In comparison to the Tolleson Charter School, DT is just as great! I am an involved parent who has been greeted openly and friendly by the staff due to always being on campus and have never been made to feel as though I didn't belong nor any question was a bother. This year my kids will be seeing the Speech-Language Therapist who took the time to meet me on a short notice, again open and friendly. We have never worked with a male teacher but am open and hope for a successful year with he and the school.

Desert Thunder
16750 W. Garfield, Goodyear, AZ  85338
Last modified Desert Thunder is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Thunder Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top