Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)

Desert Thunder
Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted April 25, 2016
-Parent He barely had homework and if so it was only a few minutes worth. We asked about this during report car pickup and didn't receive a satisfying answer

Desert Thunder 1

Posted April 25, 2016
Our son has been continously bullied by multiple students and was told by the 6th grade teacher " they are getting older so they need to resolve it on their own." The assistant principle wants then to solve line up issues with rock, papers, scissors etc. One student with know issues continue to push and punch our son without consequences. Our son is a peaceful child and won't fight back because that would be apart of the problem and not the solution. The assistant principle is out of touch and implement unrealistic solutions. The bullying had caused our son great anxiety and has killed his confidence it's sad our child can't get a peaceful education and the school tolerates bad behavior. Last week we was called by the assistant principle because they were having substitute teachers a few days and couldn't monitor the bullying so we kept our son home. How sad. ..can't believe that was even acknowledged.

Desert Thunder 4

Posted February 18, 2016
The teachers REALLY care about their students. They will do whatever it takes to help them. There are a lot of outlets to explore to help a struggling student. Also, there are a lot of fun activities held by the school to boost moral for the students. The homework is fare, not overwhelming. My kids have fun learning.

Posted May 14, 2015
I love seeing my kids grow at this school. There is a lot of parent involvement and the teachers are great. My children are using iPads almost daily in the classroom and they are always excited to come home and share what they learned in school. Desert Thunder is an amazing school.

Posted May 05, 2015
My children have flourished at this school. The teachers and the office staff are so caring and work to make sure that I feel welcome every time I go to the school. I am able to volunteer in my daughter's classroom several times each week. I love the positive atmosphere that the campus embraces. My children get to use iPads everyday and are learning to CODE on computers. My youngest will be attending the new Spanish dual language program in kindergarten next year. This is a GREAT school!

Posted February 20, 2015
This school is implementing 1:1 iPads and Chromebooks for students and every child in every grade level is learning computer coding as well. I feel my children are getting a great technology education at this school!

Posted February 20, 2015
I have had 2 children go through Desert Thunder. Both were identified gifted in Kindergarten. Both of my children received terrific educations at Desert Thunder. Their needs were met by caring teachers that differentiated for their needs. My oldest was more than prepared for high school and is now in the IB program and I have no doubt my younger child will be just as successful.

Posted October 30, 2012
So far so good. This is my daughters first year at this school and I must say her teacher is the best. She is currently in the second grade at a young age. So her maturity level is caught up with her grade level. Her teacher works with her and communicates with me every day. My daughter is doing wonderful in her school work. So if you ever get the chance for your second grader into this school, get them into Miss Haines classes. The school is wonderful the really keep up with there students and parents.

Posted September 02, 2011
My child has a 504 plan for her food allergy. The administration has been outstanding on accomidating her needs as well as her teachers. She had been attending for 2 years now and we really couldn't be happier. The staff is friendly and caring and the education she is receiving is great!

Desert Thunder 3

Posted June 01, 2011
My oldest is a 3rd grader who has an IEP and receives services threw the school. The services provided are bellow my expectations due to lack of individualized attention and slow process. My son has the same issue he started the year w/, unable to build clear thought sentences verbally and in written form. Due to his home room teacher he is ending the year on a descent note but could have been better if after school services had been available. As for my first grader he started the year on a good note but unfortunately is ending it poorly due to not doing well in reading and writing. Threw out the year I asked for tutoring and was denied multiple times due to services not being available. I was also advised his reading would pick up and not to worry. We help him w/ reading and writting on top of doing 2 -3 pages of home work a night w/ spelling. By the time his assigned work is completed he would be burnt out and our study time was always a struggle. He wasn't challenged in anyway and I trully believe he coasted by and his needs were ignored. Over all, DT is a good school, safe, clean, staff are approachable and the meals are balanced, tasty but can be small in portion.

Desert Thunder
16750 West Garfield Dr, Goodyear, AZ  85338
Last modified Desert Thunder is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.