K-8 & Ungraded
Goodyear, AZ

Posted May 14, 2015
I love seeing my kids grow at this school. There is a lot of parent involvement and the teachers are great. My children are using iPads almost daily in the classroom and they are always excited to come home and share what they learned in school. Desert Thunder is an amazing school.

Posted May 05, 2015
My children have flourished at this school. The teachers and the office staff are so caring and work to make sure that I feel welcome every time I go to the school. I am able to volunteer in my daughter's classroom several times each week. I love the positive atmosphere that the campus embraces. My children get to use iPads everyday and are learning to CODE on computers. My youngest will be attending the new Spanish dual language program in kindergarten next year. This is a GREAT school!

Posted February 20, 2015
This school is implementing 1:1 iPads and Chromebooks for students and every child in every grade level is learning computer coding as well. I feel my children are getting a great technology education at this school!

Posted February 20, 2015
I have had 2 children go through Desert Thunder. Both were identified gifted in Kindergarten. Both of my children received terrific educations at Desert Thunder. Their needs were met by caring teachers that differentiated for their needs. My oldest was more than prepared for high school and is now in the IB program and I have no doubt my younger child will be just as successful.

Posted October 30, 2012
So far so good. This is my daughters first year at this school and I must say her teacher is the best. She is currently in the second grade at a young age. So her maturity level is caught up with her grade level. Her teacher works with her and communicates with me every day. My daughter is doing wonderful in her school work. So if you ever get the chance for your second grader into this school, get them into Miss Haines classes. The school is wonderful the really keep up with there students and parents.

Posted September 02, 2011
My child has a 504 plan for her food allergy. The administration has been outstanding on accomidating her needs as well as her teachers. She had been attending for 2 years now and we really couldn't be happier. The staff is friendly and caring and the education she is receiving is great!

Desert Thunder 3

Posted June 01, 2011
My oldest is a 3rd grader who has an IEP and receives services threw the school. The services provided are bellow my expectations due to lack of individualized attention and slow process. My son has the same issue he started the year w/, unable to build clear thought sentences verbally and in written form. Due to his home room teacher he is ending the year on a descent note but could have been better if after school services had been available. As for my first grader he started the year on a good note but unfortunately is ending it poorly due to not doing well in reading and writing. Threw out the year I asked for tutoring and was denied multiple times due to services not being available. I was also advised his reading would pick up and not to worry. We help him w/ reading and writting on top of doing 2 -3 pages of home work a night w/ spelling. By the time his assigned work is completed he would be burnt out and our study time was always a struggle. He wasn't challenged in anyway and I trully believe he coasted by and his needs were ignored. Over all, DT is a good school, safe, clean, staff are approachable and the meals are balanced, tasty but can be small in portion.

Posted December 18, 2010
I attend Alhambra Traditional School, and now I am moving within the range of the school district here. I soon will be attending Desert Thunder. While reading the schools website, I saw things that many students would love. (Well from ATS at least) 2 weeks of winter and spring break, easy academics, and an easy grade scale. At Alhambra Traditional they have higher leveled academic procedures, a tougher grading scale, and the best scores in Arizona. I like ATS but some of the teachers there are... well just.... bad; but when reading reviews and the school website, I saw that many students that have atteneded DT have been beaten by their classmates, teachers are very strict in a hateful manner, and there is a uniform. The uniform is just a way to make a terrible school look professional. I do not look forward to changing schools here, and would recommend for you NOT to sent your child here.

Posted December 08, 2010
I have had 2 kids in Desert Thunder and I have not been happy with the quality. My son was punched in the stomach and when he told the teachers did nothing. We weren't the first family to have this kind of issue. My son was terrified of 1st grade teacher and I have never see such fear in his eyes. He had trouble expressing himself so we never found out why he was so scared. He peed his pants every day and was never sent to change yet he smelled from a mile away. Never had an accident before. I pulled him imediately after seeing his fear of his teacher and I now home school him. He's back to being a happy out going kid. Now my daughter now in 1st begs me to home school her and I am not an easy teacher. She has speech issues and I have had NO communication with them and I am just trying to find out if she even goes like she is supposed too. They after 2 months in school have already asked me to hold her back next year since she can't read. No offer to get her help or test her for LD's. I had to request testing and it's been a month and I have heard nothing!!! I plan on pulling her and Home schooling her very soon!!

Posted May 05, 2010
In response to the 6th grader posting 4/15/10. I agree with you, some of the teachers are inappropriate, catty, vindictive, immature and often in plain sight cold. I have a clear knowledge of this due to being a parent of this school and having to deal with the teachers behavior. No matter how polite you are never and I mean never question a teacher at this school. I'm sorry you as a child had to deal with this, they are the adult.

Desert Thunder
16750 W. Garfield, Goodyear, AZ  85338
Last modified Desert Thunder is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Thunder Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top