Westar Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 616 students

Westar is best known for our quality STEM education.

Posted Sunday, July 27, 2014

My son has been going to westar for 3 years now and he has really enjoyed his teachers and the curriculum at the school.

Posted March 27, 2014

Westar is a fantastic school. This school has a great energy and the parents are really involved. The principal is easy to talk to and it shows on his face he loves his job and the people it impacts. With the constant changes to our education system this school is on top of it and giving our children the best education. The kids coming out of Westar will be better suited going into high school. No matter YOUR opinion of the latest educational implementation, your student is going to be best prepared for the world around them. Westar teachers focus on real world application. Westar will teach your student the foundations they will need to build on throughout their education . The Teachers at Westar don't push paper they push thinking and reasoning. My kids love school and the friends they are surrounded by in the neighborhoods that feed into Westar. My kids have been on some amazing field trips since they have been at Westar. They have a brand new Stem building and each grade a science lab available to them. My kids are involved in sports through the school as well as buddy classes where they are afforded opportunity to mentor or be mentored by another student.

Posted March 27, 2014

My kids moved into this school from out of state as 3, 1, 8 graders. I was concerned about bullying because they were the new kids on the block. Every school as bullies, life has bullies. However, my students didn't experience bullying at all. I know Westar has a no tolerance policy for bullying both on campus and through social media. I feel very safe having my kids at this school and feel the school environment has given my own children the confidence to deal with any problems they might encounter. As a parent it is my job to teach my children how to correctly deal with this issue. I love the STEM focus and my children's excitement for all that STEM can bring to them in school and at home. 2 of my children are now wanting to have careers centered around science or engineering. Very happy with this school, the teacher, the principal, the PTO, the district.

Posted March 27, 2014

My son is in 5th grade and has one of the most amazing teachers. She meets her kids right where they are and moves them forward in a loving challenging way. This year I have seen my son's self-confidence soar. He never loved reading and now he will knock out a 197 page book in a week. He was always a marginal at math and this teacher has inspired him to STAY WITH IT! He has seen that not everything is easy ... but hard work pays off. I'm quite happy with the school, the teachers and the administration. There are plenty of ways to stay informed and help out. Although I understand bullying happens, my son has not experienced it at Westar.

Posted March 26, 2014

I think this school is awesome. We have traveled all over the world with the military and this school is one of the best that my children have attended. We have brand new science labs and they go on great field trips. This year, 6th Grade went on a 3-day Desert Survival trip, next year, 7th Grade gets to go to AstroCamp in California and in 8th Grade, students go to Catalina in California. This school does lots of fundraisers and food drives to help the community. There is a science camp this summer at the school that my younger child can attend and my older child can be a counselor for. There is also an amazing STEM night coming up where all kinds of companies are going to come and do fun activities that are science-related. I think it's a great school.

Posted July 17, 2013

The teachers need to research why they are talking about. Sometimes they will teach something that is completely incorrect or they will teach you random facts they found on the Internet.

Posted April 24, 2013

Not at all. I've been going here since kindergarten and I'm in 7th now and I still hate it.Please note you WILL get bullied if your: different than the other kids,overweight,dark or don't meet everyone eles standards. I get bullied everyday and the teachers don't do any thing. Speaking of which, the teachers aren't good either in fact they are unprofessional my science teacher actually said the "d word" at us once.So I'm glad I'm leaving after next year

Posted April 14, 2013

Moving to AZ was a HUGE move for us. I was VERY concerned about previous reviews about bullying at Westar. With all 3 of my children (8th, 4th & 2nd) I was leery of sending them here being the "new kids". We have not had any issues with bullying. To read these recent reviews about how the staff doesn't care bothers me as well. We have had some problems with our 4th grader and they have been nothing but supportive!! I do agree that some of the class sizes are big and hope that will subside with the hiring of more teachers, as I don't think our community up here is going to stop getting bigger!

Posted January 18, 2013

My child attended this school from 1st - 2nd grade - we moved away to Italy and returned to the states and ended up in Portland. The school she is attending currently is a 5 star school. We are moving back to Estrella and I'm concerned about the bullying issue. It was happening when my child attended and I'm saddened to hear it's continuing. I did find that the parents of the students w bad behavior are themselves bully's. I have had first hand experience w them. I hope when we return there can be some sort of resolution process to remedy this issue. I am all in for parents that would like to get together to possibly form a commity to address the school or petition Liberty school district about bully's. It's completely unsatisfactory, I will continue to view the reviews on this subject through this forum and willing to collaborate w other parents. Obviously the school has a lack of control or conviction to punish student that bully other students, Reach out to me. I'm open to suggestion and resolutions.

Posted August 16, 2012

This will be my children's third year attending Westar Elementary School. I truly could not be happier with the educational experiences they have encountered during their time at Westar. The faculty from the Principal all the way down to the Custodian are simply amazing! Everyone is positive and friendly and my children are always noticed - no matter where they are - and always encouraged and motivated to do absolutely everything to the best of their ability. The teachers my student have had have been simply amazing! The incorporation of exciting curriculum along with teachers who are excited have led my children to exceed in their AIMS scores. There are many after school activities that allow my children to continue to pursue academics (Robotics club!) along with the fine arts. Westar is an amazing school!

Posted July 31, 2012

This will be our third year at Westar and we are excited to see the STEM program being embraced by teachers and staff...it is truly an exciting time to be a Comet and I am proud to tell people the school my children attend! My own children have not experienced the bullying that is being discussed and I have a hard time believing that any valid complaints are not dealt with fairly and quickly by the school. Communication can be tricky at times, but the information is always available via internet, classroom updates and by an amazing PTO organization...it is there if you are looking. I find they leave some communication for 6-8 in the hands of the student and at a middle school level that makes sense. One star remains because all schools have room for improvement, but if I could half fill it in I would :)

Posted May 4, 2012

I am somewhate relieved although saddened to see another poster bringing up the bullying issue. We have been dealing with my child being bullied all year. The principal and teachers won't admit there is a problem. On top of this, some of the things my kids tell me their teachers are telling them is concerning at best. These teachers need to do more research before "teaching" children ridiculous "facts" they are reading on the internet. The nurse has also given my child inaccurate advice. I would NEVER recommend this school. It's a shame because it could be a great school. A couple "bad apples" have ruined it.

Posted January 23, 2012

I find this very hard to believe Westar has a 3 point star since they have a major issue with bullying in the school. My grandson has attended this school for 3 months now and has been costantly bullied. It has gotten so bad that my daughter is thinking about finding a charter school for him. I have heard from other parents on this same issue and have done like wise. I also e-mailed the school in this issue and have had no response. I take this very serious especially when he wen from beng an A-B student to a D-F student. I am sure the teachers are doing the best they can.

Posted January 22, 2011

Westar School continues to rise in quality of leadership, teaching staff and academic requirements. It has a great parent volunteer base and a welcoming environment. Great improvements made in the last years shift toward excellence...

Posted September 17, 2010

Do you remember the promise made by Dr. Rogers, the Superintendent, that classrooms would have small class sizes? Well, since the beginning of this year, have you asked your kids how many kids are in the classroom? Some teachers have in the thirties!!! AIMS scores and learning will be affected with class sizes this big.

Posted August 26, 2010

We have been pleased with Westar. We are excited to be in a community that allows us to take our students out of private school...Westar has provided the curriuculum appropriate to meeting Arizona State Standards. We would love to see consistent leadership, but I would much rather continue to replace with greater candidates rather then maintaining someone who is not a good fit for our students. Keep up the good work Westar!!

Posted May 25, 2010

As I mentioned before this is a great school we move out of the community, but my son was able to continue to attended westar. Even through the 18 miles is a ways. He is happy and his grades are awesome, and to me that is worth the trips...

Posted March 12, 2010

My son has been here for 5th and 6th grades. I feel the school is doing a great job, but some of the teachers do lack in communication with parents. I also wish they had more after school programs. The Science Olympiad program is fun but they are very unorganized and again there isn't much communication with the parents. Overall I do love the school and its location.

Posted August 16, 2009

This is my second year at Westar and so far I have been pretty happy. It's unrealistic to expect a teacher to put in 100% with every student when there are about 20 kids average per teacher. It's up to the teacher to provide the tools along with the child's willingness to learn and parents willingness to follow through. I'm very happy to say that they provided this for Me and my child last year and again this year. The school is growing and is on it's way to being the great school I expect it to be.

Posted July 29, 2009

Westar is a safe learning enviroment. The teachers are fabulous with my kids. The school does go to 8th grade not 5th. Bad behavior is not accepted. The are strict but fair.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • David Bogart
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • City of Goodyear Police

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom