Goodyear, AZ

Posted October 14, 2014
My kids have been attending Westar for six years now. We moved into the area because of the school's rating and reputation and haven't been disappointed. We love the community feel of the school, activities, and parent interaction. Our kids get personal attention and more challenging math or other assignments when appropriate. We have not had any issues with bullies, discipline, or other drama at this school. We are very happy with it. Westar now hosts the district G/T students and classes are STEM focused. We feel very fortunate to be part of the Westar school and the Estrella community.

Posted July 27, 2014
My son has been going to westar for 3 years now and he has really enjoyed his teachers and the curriculum at the school.

Posted March 27, 2014
Westar is a fantastic school. This school has a great energy and the parents are really involved. The principal is easy to talk to and it shows on his face he loves his job and the people it impacts. With the constant changes to our education system this school is on top of it and giving our children the best education. The kids coming out of Westar will be better suited going into high school. No matter YOUR opinion of the latest educational implementation, your student is going to be best prepared for the world around them. Westar teachers focus on real world application. Westar will teach your student the foundations they will need to build on throughout their education . The Teachers at Westar don't push paper they push thinking and reasoning. My kids love school and the friends they are surrounded by in the neighborhoods that feed into Westar. My kids have been on some amazing field trips since they have been at Westar. They have a brand new Stem building and each grade a science lab available to them. My kids are involved in sports through the school as well as buddy classes where they are afforded opportunity to mentor or be mentored by another student.

Posted March 27, 2014
My kids moved into this school from out of state as 3, 1, 8 graders. I was concerned about bullying because they were the new kids on the block. Every school as bullies, life has bullies. However, my students didn't experience bullying at all. I know Westar has a no tolerance policy for bullying both on campus and through social media. I feel very safe having my kids at this school and feel the school environment has given my own children the confidence to deal with any problems they might encounter. As a parent it is my job to teach my children how to correctly deal with this issue. I love the STEM focus and my children's excitement for all that STEM can bring to them in school and at home. 2 of my children are now wanting to have careers centered around science or engineering. Very happy with this school, the teacher, the principal, the PTO, the district.

Westar Elementary School 4

Posted March 27, 2014
My son is in 5th grade and has one of the most amazing teachers. She meets her kids right where they are and moves them forward in a loving challenging way. This year I have seen my son's self-confidence soar. He never loved reading and now he will knock out a 197 page book in a week. He was always a marginal at math and this teacher has inspired him to STAY WITH IT! He has seen that not everything is easy ... but hard work pays off. I'm quite happy with the school, the teachers and the administration. There are plenty of ways to stay informed and help out. Although I understand bullying happens, my son has not experienced it at Westar.

Posted March 26, 2014
I think this school is awesome. We have traveled all over the world with the military and this school is one of the best that my children have attended. We have brand new science labs and they go on great field trips. This year, 6th Grade went on a 3-day Desert Survival trip, next year, 7th Grade gets to go to AstroCamp in California and in 8th Grade, students go to Catalina in California. This school does lots of fundraisers and food drives to help the community. There is a science camp this summer at the school that my younger child can attend and my older child can be a counselor for. There is also an amazing STEM night coming up where all kinds of companies are going to come and do fun activities that are science-related. I think it's a great school.

Westar Elementary School 2

Posted July 17, 2013
The teachers need to research why they are talking about. Sometimes they will teach something that is completely incorrect or they will teach you random facts they found on the Internet.

Westar Elementary School 1

Posted April 24, 2013
Not at all. I've been going here since kindergarten and I'm in 7th now and I still hate it.Please note you WILL get bullied if your: different than the other kids,overweight,dark or don't meet everyone eles standards. I get bullied everyday and the teachers don't do any thing. Speaking of which, the teachers aren't good either in fact they are unprofessional my science teacher actually said the "d word" at us once.So I'm glad I'm leaving after next year

Posted April 14, 2013
Moving to AZ was a HUGE move for us. I was VERY concerned about previous reviews about bullying at Westar. With all 3 of my children (8th, 4th & 2nd) I was leery of sending them here being the "new kids". We have not had any issues with bullying. To read these recent reviews about how the staff doesn't care bothers me as well. We have had some problems with our 4th grader and they have been nothing but supportive!! I do agree that some of the class sizes are big and hope that will subside with the hiring of more teachers, as I don't think our community up here is going to stop getting bigger!

Westar Elementary School 3

Posted January 18, 2013
My child attended this school from 1st - 2nd grade - we moved away to Italy and returned to the states and ended up in Portland. The school she is attending currently is a 5 star school. We are moving back to Estrella and I'm concerned about the bullying issue. It was happening when my child attended and I'm saddened to hear it's continuing. I did find that the parents of the students w bad behavior are themselves bully's. I have had first hand experience w them. I hope when we return there can be some sort of resolution process to remedy this issue. I am all in for parents that would like to get together to possibly form a commity to address the school or petition Liberty school district about bully's. It's completely unsatisfactory, I will continue to view the reviews on this subject through this forum and willing to collaborate w other parents. Obviously the school has a lack of control or conviction to punish student that bully other students, Reach out to me. I'm open to suggestion and resolutions.

Westar Elementary School
17777 W. Westar Dr., Goodyear, AZ  85338
Last modified Westar Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westar Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top