Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

The principal and staff strongly detest bullying and I have never experienced an issue with it.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

There are classes that are specifically for children with learning differences and disabilities.

Effective school leaders: Agree

I once needed to share an issue with the principal about an offensive comment made by some older students about my race, and he took care of it immediately and it never happened again.

I went to this school in the sixth through seventh grade and found it okay. My sixth grade teacher was nice but didn't like to teach social studies, so she didn't. Everyone else in the grade was learning about Ghandi and Ancient Greece/Rome, and there we were sitting around and talking with our friends. My math and science teacher cared very much about what we were learning, but they have been replaced now. I only stayed in seventh grade for about a couple of months and left to do homeschooling, but it was okay. My math teacher taught fairly well, the literature was good; although she wanted to talk more about her dogs. The best was my social studies teacher and she took her job really seriously and was the best public school teacher I've ever had. They have a wide range of extra-curricular activities to choose from; but I didn't do any. In music class, all of the students starting from Kindergarten on up will learn how to play the keyboard and read music, which I find very good. This is a STEM school, so they are very focused on science and math. There are quite a few academic clubs to join as well. Overall, I wouldn't say this is a bad school, just okay and slightly mediocre (but then again, most public schools are).

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is a goal for the school, and they are centered around it. They also have character awards which honor students for their kindness, citizenship, caring etc.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

My sixth grade teacher didn't choose to teach social studies except the beginning and end of the year, obviously because she was running out of time to complete the amount she needed to. My math teacher was really amazing and cared about the academic talents of her students. No one seemed to like her and I still don't understand why.

Amount of homework: Neutral

As you get into the higher grades, they don't really "assign" homework. It's more like, "How many of you finished this?" Students raise their hands. "Okay then. Finish it for homework and we'll grade it tomorrow."

My kids have been attending Westar for six years now. We moved into the area because of the school's rating and reputation and haven't been disappointed. We love the community feel of the school, activities, and parent interaction. Our kids get personal attention and more challenging math or other assignments when appropriate. We have not had any issues with bullies, discipline, or other drama at this school. We are very happy with it. Westar now hosts the district G/T students and classes are STEM focused. We feel very fortunate to be part of the Westar school and the Estrella community.

My son has been going to westar for 3 years now and he has really enjoyed his teachers and the curriculum at the school.

Westar is a fantastic school. This school has a great energy and the parents are really involved. The principal is easy to talk to and it shows on his face he loves his job and the people it impacts. With the constant changes to our education system this school is on top of it and giving our children the best education. The kids coming out of Westar will be better suited going into high school. No matter YOUR opinion of the latest educational implementation, your student is going to be best prepared for the world around them. Westar teachers focus on real world application. Westar will teach your student the foundations they will need to build on throughout their education . The Teachers at Westar don't push paper they push thinking and reasoning. My kids love school and the friends they are surrounded by in the neighborhoods that feed into Westar. My kids have been on some amazing field trips since they have been at Westar. They have a brand new Stem building and each grade a science lab available to them. My kids are involved in sports through the school as well as buddy classes where they are afforded opportunity to mentor or be mentored by another student.

Last modified Westar Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.