Vista Del Sur Traditional School

Public | K-8 | 850 students

Posted April 27, 2014

I am very pleased with this school, I have 2 attending. My children are thriving...and I think it is due to me as a parent working with and in constant contact (as needed) with my children's teachers...parents must take ownership in their children's education...we can't hope and wish for our children to thrive we have to be involved on a daily basis not just during crises. Vista rocks!!!

Posted January 6, 2014

7th grade has been falling apart. Teachers leave and they fill with substitutes, hoping the teacher will return. This provides no stability for the student. Highly disappointed this year. This school has had high teacher turn over and only a few remain from the year they opened. This is my daughter's 7th year at Vista and she has started with a newly hired teacher every year since attending this school except for one year. I have had no problems in years past and only had great things to say about Vista but this year, I can not say the same. The PTA is wonderful at Vista and parent involvment is high.

Posted December 21, 2013

Some Vista Del Sur teachers/administrators need to learn how to spell: grammer should be grammar broak should be broke goof afternoon should be good afternoon etc.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 18, 2013

My daughter loves Vista! We are so happy we decided to send her there. She is now in 1st grade and is doing wonderful! Her Kinder teacher was great and her 1st grade teacher is awesome! My daughter always looks forward to school and is always happy when she comes home from school! Ms. Pashley is the best. Very approachable, and is always open to listening to parents and their concerns. We are planning on enrolling our youngest at Vista next Fall. So happy this school is so close to home! Happy Vista has a gifted program for those students that are excelling. My daughter was recently admitted to the program. Couldn't be happier!

Posted October 19, 2013

I give this school one star because the teachers are complete bullies! Not only do they yell at the students, they physically tease them! The teachers and parents should be held accountable for the students performance, not the kids! It's unbelievable that Mr. Schut would be allowed to pull poorly written papers and make a laughing matter of the children. Seriously!? He actually told the kids he enjoys teasing people? Ridiculing the children doesn't make them better academically, it lowers their confidence and gives the kids ammunition to do the same. Bullying at this school must be addressed, and I'm not talking about student on student, but teacher on student. Then of course there is the matter of the principal. A child brings bad behavior to her attention and she yells and screams at them for it? Something is seriously wrong with this schools principles. It should not only about be about good test scores, but about well rounded children. But then I guess the they those tax dollars !!!

Posted September 26, 2013

Vista Del Sur Is The Best School, I love the communication...they are very organized system

Posted September 15, 2013

I've been going to Vista for 2 years now, and I absolutly LOVE it! The envorment at Vista is extremly amazing! Not only do they help you exceed, they make learning fun! And they don't make anything that complicated! They try to figure out your level of learning, and start from there, they make sure they know your learning style, and even though this school is slightly hard, in a few weeks you'll get used to it, and you will see your child's improvement while going to this school. I know for a fact my AIMS score has never been better when I first attended Vista. This really is an amazing school, an A School.

Posted September 6, 2013

Year seven for us as a Vista family. We are extremely satisfied. Our children look forward to school each day, even Mondays! Again, this school is not for everyone. Each child is different and not all children will perform well in this environment. Vista requires strict dicipline and accountability for both studys and behaviors, BY BOTH STUDENTS AND PARENTS. Attending a traditional school is a priviledge and a choice that requires a huge time commitment, and is a model for our standard schools and educational systems. Some Vista families have multiple children, one child may attend Vista while their sibling attends a different elementary school. Vista is rigorous. Please consider all possibilities to best suit your family. Go Tigers!

Posted July 16, 2013

Vista has a rude receptionist and is very rigid. Lots of arrogance. Prinicpal has a nanny mentality.

Posted June 26, 2013

My daughter loves this school, it was the best move for her. She is excited about her teacher, friends and her learning environment. I have to ask myself sometimes, I'm I smarter than a 1st grader because the school is doing such a great job. It keeps her challenged and she craves more. So if you child is a natural intellect and loves to be challenged, this would be the school of choice.But I have tried 2 years in a row and no luck with getting my son enrolled. I'll keep trying, maybe next year.

Posted April 18, 2013

This is our first year at Vista. My two children attended 5 years at another community school. We made the switch because they needed to be challenged. We have been so happy with our decision. The kids love school, they have good friends, they come home full of information that they want to share. They are being enriched. I love the staff and the Principal. We couldn't be happier.

Posted August 3, 2012

Last year was my first year at Vista del Sur. I want to share that moving our son to this school was the best decision of our life! And this year, Vista is rate the #1 performing Elementary School in the ENTIRE STATE OF ARIZONA!!!!! Seriously -- #1 in the STATE! The staff are wonderful. We did have an instance last year where my son was teased and called "gay". The staff addressed the issue right away and called the parents of the children. What suprised me was that the parents of the children who were responsible for the teasing were also supportive. I can't say enough about Principal Pashley as well. If you have any concerns about curriculum, school operations, or discipline, she returns your call directly!!! The PTO is supportive and wonderful as well!. This school services a diverse community of student families. It is a traditional school (which may not suit some families), and the curriculum is challenging so as a parent you need to be committed to education and homework. The school isn't for everyone, so definately do your research and talk to parents. But we love it and feel it's supportive and challenging environment for our son and family.

Posted August 3, 2012

As a parent and teacher myself, I can honestly say this is THE BEST school for my daughter. She is starting third grade this year and I am overjoyed to see how ready she is: her foundation is strong; she is confident and proud of herself, getting straight A's every quarter. The leadership and teachers are amazing (Thanks, Ms. Vaughn in second grade, you are THE BEST!!!). I would not even consider any other school in the neighborhood. By the way, Vista just became TOP school in the state!!!! THANK YOU, VISTA STAFF, FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK AND DEDICATION! WE TRULY APPRECIATE IT!!!

Posted August 1, 2012

I wanted to take a second a let everyone know how great this school is! Yes, they have had some hard times in the past, but the new administration and teachers have really brought the school back to life. My child has been attending Vista for the past two years and I really appreciate everything they have done in the past year to help my child be successful. I would not send them to any other school. He will be a Vista Tiger until he goes to high school!

Posted January 17, 2012

I am proud to say that my daughter is a Kindergarten Student at Vista del Sur. Being that my daughter had not attended daycare or Pre-K, I was very worried about her attending Vista and how she would adjust. However, due to the ratings of the other schools nearby, I felt I had no other option. I must admit placing her in Vista is one of the best decisions I have made. She has adjusted very well; is doing great academically and her teacher keeps us parents well informed on what is going on. Many of the staff members have gone out of their way to not only get to know my daughter, but my parents and I, as well. I have no doubt in my mind that they care for my daughter and her success! I must add that the workload can be heavy, therefore it is very crucial for parents to play an active role in the child s education and not solely rely on school staff. With that being said, I highly recommend Vista del Sur Traditional School to any parent within the Laveen School District!

Posted December 21, 2011

Both of my children attend Vista and have for a few years (in 3rd and 7th grades, now). I have been involved in various aspects of volunteering - children's classrooms, PTO, site council, school events, etc. typically meeting our family volunteer hours before school even starts. My children, while not the most exemplary students 100% of the time, are receiving a quality education that I am very pleased with. My husband and I are both college educated and expect that our children will pursue the same course (but will listen if they have other ideas!) and the challenging course work is preferred over being bored. They both enjoy school but there is a significant amount of homework and parental involvement in that homework. If you are not prepared to work with your children and pay attention to what they are doing - and "working with" does not mean complaining to your child's teacher that it's too much - then this is not the right school for you/your family. Previous administration had some challenges - communication definitely could have been better but I guarantee that a sour attitude upon entry to the office will typically get you one back! It takes a village of nice people!

Posted November 17, 2011

I went to this school since 3rd grade! I love it! Last year, the principal wasn't great as you can see in some reviews. But, we have a new principal now and she's way better! I recommend this school to anyone!

Posted October 5, 2011

I am giving Vista a one star rating because of the rude ferocious incompetent Principal. I cannot believe how she spoke to me. Every word dripping with disdain! All I wanted was a little empathy and some cooperation. But now I have been pushed to remove my child. The kindergarten teachers have been forced to run these little ones like soldiers. They are told to weed out the weak quickly and get rid of them. What kind of a way is that to run a school? It doesn't matter who gets hurt in the process. "Waiting For Superman" explains it all. The students are just a number. Staff will receive a paycheck no matter if your child succeds or not!!

Posted September 10, 2011

Vista del Sur is a great fit for your son. He has attended since kindergarten. Despite a great deal of upheaval last year, the school remains our choice for our older son. As another parent noted, the front office staff seemed to have developed negative attitudes toward all last year, but I have not seen that with the new school year that has just started. I have found ALL my son's teacher's approachable. Regretfully, I have not met the new administrators yet this year, but hope to as we become more involved with the PTO. Our younger son does not attend this school as it is not a good fit for him. Vista is a wonderful school for a child who thrives on being challenged and pushed to do better each year. Testing is emphasized, but I have no problem with that as our children get the "extra" teaching through our family choices and outside clubs and organizations.

Posted August 18, 2011

I am very disappointed and disgusted in how much this school prides themselves in all these great things and once you are there you realize that it's all talk. The women in the front office are very unprofessional and demeaning to parents. The staff there are not approachable for the most part and the environment is too uptight. I decided this is not a fit school for my child; therefore I have transferred my child to Desert Meadows!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

• Kristi Pashley
Fax number
  • (602) 237-1976

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now