Country Gardens Charter School

Charter | K-12

Living in Laveen

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $111,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Posted April 16, 2014

This school is horrible thee are some friendly staff but a lot of unfriendly staff including the principal. My child's teacher yells at the children and cusses at them and even the principal still backed up their teacher knowing what they do. They choose favorites at the school some kids can get away with anything even if it's not allowed in the handbook where others are singled out and threatened to be expelled for doing what the favorites do. My child loves the horsemanship and zoo lab they have and some of the activities but is afraid to go to school because of the way her teacher and other staff there treat her including the principal and due to recent events I am now having to go to the school board to report the staff for bullying my child as well as other children I would never recommend this school to anyone they need a completely new staff starting with the principal and my daughters teacher no teacher should be allowed to threaten kids, yell at them, and cuss at them it is ridiculous. Parents re not a Lowed to even visit there children or be involved in the school what kind of school outlaws parents the kind who have something to hide and are doing bad things to the kids.

Posted August 2, 2013

I agree that this is not a good school, parents do your research, visit the school without letting them know your going. I would not send my children there.

Posted August 2, 2013

I have attended CGCS from my 8th grade year til I graduated in 2011 from high school, a year early than I would have a a normal high school. They have amazing programs such as Horsemanship, Zoolab, the 3 week trips they take, Steele Drums, and many more. In horsemanship, everybody gets to learn about farm like animals such as alpacas, llamas, horses, sheep and more. While in horsemanship you learn how to feed the animals and take care of them. Zoolab has 4 different rooms in the building labeled: "Mammals", "Reptiles", "Amphibians" and "Quarantine" . They also have an insect corner and a wave pool with starfish. Their learning is primarily hands-on. The 3 week trips they take are amazing. They start with kids in 4th grade up to high school. The 3 week trips are to main locations in the US such as Washington DC, Yellowstone, Chicago, and New England. Their other big trips go out of the country to Belize and Costa Rica. High school here they give you the option of graduating in 3 yrs or the standard 4 yrs. They have great opportunities and events that go on here. I would say if you are looking for a traditional school this is not it but there are many GREAT opportunities here.

Posted April 30, 2013

Hmm I attend this school, so I recommend that one should not send their child(ren) here. There is favoritism among staff members, and they make you do things that "help build responsibility" (more like child labor) such as moving hay, picking up trash for standing while eating lunch, also known as "lunch detention", and working in business that make money for the school. During my time here I've only met about 2 teachers that genuinely cared about me academically. I wish I could move school honestly I do but I like my friends here and it is also too late for me since I'm in High School and most of my credits won't transfer to another High School. In all seriousness if your child(ren) attend here get them out before they get into High School.

Posted October 29, 2011

This school like any other has it's ups and downs. Anyone can make a negative comment on ANY school. But here is my OPINION of the school. I've been atending this school for 3 years now and I have made the best friends I could ever have, I have learned things no other school is capable in offering. For example; I have a Food Handlers Card, and am certified as a PEER MEDIATOR. Now what school offers you that to put on a resimay? Also, this school offers a different way to learn, instead of large text books we do it hands on. I've been to Yellowstone TWICE.!! I've seen with my eyes how Old Faithful sprays every few hours. I can tell you how a Fin is formed because I was there to see and climb one. By going on these wonderful trips the information sticks to you. No one that has gone on these trips can tell you, they dont learn anything. Not only does this school do that but it builds character too. This school changes every year to learn from there mistakes. They used to put two grades in a classroom. But now they have changed that and every grade has there own class. I sometimes dont completely agree with the staff. But I would never regret attending this school.

Posted September 5, 2011

I love this school and so does my child. More actual learning takes place than at the public school in Laveen. Not only the trditional"book learning" but also how to be a sucess in life, how to stand for what you believe without stomping on others rights to do the same. Lots of homework, but it is meningful work not just busy work. The centers are great and the extra curricular trips are an amazing chance of a lifetime.

Posted July 15, 2011

I had been attending cgcs for 5 years,and recently moved and the bus doesn't go that far anymore. I LOVE cgcs the teachers & staff there,they are all very nice if I could I love to go back. It is one of the best schools. I will say this though people either love it or don't. Yes there are mice and other kinds of wild animals there but it's on a FARM!,but I can assure your child will not be in danger by the wild animals.Some of the wild animals/not wild animals are amazing you may not be able to see some unless you are in a zoo,such as(Great horned owls,peacocks,chickens and more.)

Posted September 27, 2010

This school is a joke they have policies that contradict their own policies yea confusing huh? well that tells you how much thought they put into their own policies!!!! staff hugging touching and kissing infront of student when their own policies prohibit students from engaging in this. I am a firm believer of practice what you preach!!! that fat chick kim is a joke thinks she is the queen of the world and yells at students for the dumbest things..wish parents got to see this side of the school. really have never seen a school so disorganized like this one calling wrong parents when their kids did something wrong.

Posted August 26, 2010

CGCS is very hands-on. You learn things you just absolutely cannot learn at a normal school..no matter what people say. CGCS has literally changed my personal life and I'm thankful for it. 99% of people get along there and the animals are amazing.<3 The trips are a once-in-a-lifetime sort of experience. I love the staff...They really care. What else could you ask for?? I learn WAY more at CGCS than I ever did at the "smart" public schools. Woo hoo CGCS keep up the good work!!

Posted June 11, 2010

I am a mother of three very smart and inquisitive boys, I wanted to find a school for them that they could stay in until college and would meet all their needs. My husband and I both did a in depth investigation into many schools, we ran across cgcs's web site and became very interested. We did alot of research and talked with school staff and made the decision to try the school this year. I have never once regretted this decision, I have watched all three of my boys bloom and become a part of a wonderfully made family and staff that not only care for their students but also builds individual learning. My boys love this school and we intend to be apart of the cgcs family all the way through. Thanks to all the wonderful staff that make this school possible.

Posted May 26, 2010

This school is awesome!!! Don't listen to any of the bad reviews, those are more than likely just parents whose students got in trouble or suspended and are mad....this school offers free tutoring, great curriculum, TOP 10% IN THE STATE TEST SCORES, amazing hands-on education, and NO TUITION!!! The teachers are dedicated and communicative, I am greatly satisfied, and will continue to send my children here!!! They are receiving a top-notch education!!!

Posted May 25, 2010

Country Gardens Charter School is the most amazing school that I have ever been to. With this school I have learned so much they have great teachers, and great academic programs. I have learned not only in the classrooms but on the trips that the schools take all over the united states I have learned history up close and personal. They also take trips to Costa Rica I went there in the last year of high school and it was the most amazing place to go to i learned so much. The number one thing that i learned when i went there was what type of person that i want to be in life, it showed me to not take life for granted. And let me tell you I am one of those types that needs hands on and if your looking for that this is the school for you.

Posted December 17, 2009

No books. Nothing to refer back to, nothing to help the child review, it's no wonder test scores are so low. Yes the kids love it. What kid doesn't like to get dirty and not be challenged? I would gladly pay for my kids' books - great ones at that. We need higher standards, greater parental involvement (insist on it!), more physical activity, greater focus on a child's strengths, and far better communication between the school and the families. CGCSAZ is greatly underestimating what it can as of the students and the parents. Stop screwing around and start making demands. Otherwise, say out loud that you just want to be mediocre and move on. Frankly, we expect more ... of everything. And we're willing to help you get there.

Posted December 10, 2009

This is the worst school my daughter could have attended

Posted November 13, 2009

I read the parent review before mine and laughed. Teenagers do not run the office. I have never seen anyone in that office who wasn t qualified enough to run it. They do have Teacher Assistants who help for an hour before school ends. But those children NEVER answer phones and never speak to adults; they run notes around the school. I feel that this school is wonderful, as do many other parents, and once you become more involved, you realize the hardships that schools go through, all schools, and appreciate all the extra work they go through to make the school great.

Posted October 26, 2009

My son went here for one year and I couldn't wait until he graduated! There are no opportunities for parental involvement. There are teenagers running the front office. I only saw the principal on the first day of school and graduation day. Some of the teachers are so unprofessional. There is no commuication between school admin. and parents. The school concept is great but is implemented in such a poor manner. Until they develop better administrative support, hire better more dedicated teachers and determine a better way to implement the schools core concepts, I would not recommend this school.

Posted October 25, 2009

counrty gradens was a wonderful school, me and my 6 brothers and sisters attend there for about 4 years now.....i have actually graduated...i learned alot there how to be a better person,appreciate life,to kno that theres more than meets the eye,and i learned how apply myself in school and life....people need to remeber not to judge by the cover...yeah the school is not as nice or brick built like most schools but thats what so unique about it, it give the kids somthing new to look at everyday,and helps them open their eyes to the world thats outside....i loved country gardens i wish i atill attened..and im proud to be a CGCS graduate. -A Former 'Firchow'
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 24, 2009

This school should not be open. First thing is the classes unite 2 grades to make one. My daughter is in a clas where they teach 2nd and 3rd graders together. The teachers are very unprofessional. It was the worst school I have ever seen. I had to pull my kids out of there.

Posted February 24, 2009

We have had our son at Country Gardens Charter School. We are very pleased with the teachers, and staff. Students are monitored closer than the public schools. When he was in a public school he was attacked twice and his bike was stolen right off the grounds. They also have tutoring available every week. The teachers are so supportive. We were trying to help our son with math and his teacher actually spent his off duty time review the concepts with me so I could help our son at home!

Posted September 20, 2008

i love CGCS ! they have such a great curriculum and such a great way to learn ! u dont have to worry about fights or bullies or anything at all !
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 62%N/A47%
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6313 W Southern Ave