Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)

Desert Meadows Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 17, 2015
My son was punished because another child stole his pencil, and the teacher wouldn't listen

Posted November 17, 2015
Needless to say, this is the worst school I've ever sent my children to. The first week of school, I pulled into the drop off zone to drop my children off, my daughter was scared and wanted me to walk her, she was crying, so I got off and walked her about 20 feet to her room as the principal watched what was happening. As I was going back to my car, the principal approached me and in a very rude tone states" next time you need to park in the parking lot if you want to walk them". Then proceeds to wave and say bye to two other ladies parked in front of me doing the same. My other child was having difficulty with his homework, I was having problems trying to help him figure it out as I found out they have no books, that they copy their homework off an overhead projector, so I emailed the teacher. It took the teacher 3 days to respond, then I hear from my child that he was punished because another child took his pencil and wouldn't give it back during a test and as he was asking for it back the teacher approached, wouldn't listen to him, sent him to another room and gave him an F, I again emailed the teacher and this time was 4 days before a response, on the third day I was livid so I called the principal, apparently he was on lunch duty so I was asked to call back at 130, at 145 I called and was give another rude comment of the only thing she can do is put me to his voicemail and he had 48 hours to respond. By the way, its been close to two weeks and still no response. Another teacher gave my child an F even though he has turned in 100% homework and assignments, but made a C on a quiz and D on a test, but when I questioned the teacher she said he was close but she gave him an F because the very first day of school, she assigned homework (who does that anyway?) due the next morning, and he turned it in late, of course she says homework doesn't weigh very much on their grade, but apparently that one did. Needless to say this school from principal to teachers really could care less about you or your children and it comes out with every possible moment, I will be moving my children as soon as possible. I would give zero stars if I could.

Posted October 19, 2015
This school every year has gone down they basically don't care any more and there new conference system sucks forget making it easy for parents that work to have an appointment if you have a child that has adhd forget them helping them they will just give them ds and pass them even though have the time my child has no clue what's going on forget him learning or having an education and when you tell there teacher you can't make that conference they just say ohh you don't need one yes yes I do I need to know what's going on and what we are going to do to help my child succeed my other child has to much time on her hands she barley brings home anything one week she has spelling the next she doesn't I try to ask her questions and she has not a clue what's going on in school how does that happen when did it become social hour for the kids instead of learning she's in fourth grade and does nothing I can't wait to take my kids out of this school and find a school that cares about education and my children's future worst school ever don't even bother talking to the principal he does not a think to help or correct the situation no wonder all the good teachers left because this school gets a big zero 5 years my kids have been at this school and every year it had gone down and now my kids are behind because who care about helping the special kids we can't fail them so let's not take the time to teach them

Posted April 06, 2015
After moving from California to Arizona I was very nervous about school for my kindergartener. But I am very happy to say I love this school for my daughter she has learned so much and we all love her kindergarten teacher Ms Mell she is so sweet, smart and very approachable not just for her students but us patents as well.

Posted October 04, 2013
I have been here just about a year with my kids. I found the teachers to be very forthcoming and the administration easy to work with. Some of the kids are rowdy but that is to be expected with the age group. The staff works very hard! I love this school

Posted March 11, 2013
This school has been a terrible experience for my kids. My two struggling children are not getting the help they need, and my other child is bored. The bully issues are rampant, the oversight of the teachers over the students is non-existent, and the principal is neither responsive or forthcoming. They claim there is a bully form that can be used, but how exactly does a piece of paper fix an obviously ongoing problem. The in-class behavior the students are allowed to get away with is terrible, and the teachers, no matter what they spout off, are just teaching the kids to one test or another and nothing else. Who cares about helping the kids think and learn when we can push them through the assembly line to make our AIMS scores higher so we look better. Nevermind the ongoing problems.

Posted August 14, 2012
I have a new student to Desert Meadows this year and can't believe how professional and polite the staff is. My son is in 7th grade and I am amazed by the dedication of his teachers to help him become acquainted with the school. He comes home each day with homework and is eager to do it! I am looking forward to a great year at Desert Meadows!

Desert Meadows Elementary School 4

Posted August 12, 2012
I had an excellent experience with my children the first week of school. There were lots of friendly people to assist me on the first day and my kids came home excited about their teachers. I even had a good experience working with the principal when I had a question about my youngest ones teacher.

Desert Meadows Elementary School 2

Posted May 27, 2012
Sadly the Principal and VP have lost touch with the staff and the teachers at this point. Students now attack teachers but the staff doesn't want to deal with the parents so they do nothing. Sadly, this school was so promising, but now it's just a plain old school of sub par factors now. Glad we moved our kids out of here....

Desert Meadows Elementary School 3

Posted May 08, 2012
My son loved Meadows from k - 3rd grade ('07 - '12). His teachers were wonderful. Our family was very involved in the Parent Teacher Student Association. Meadows teachers are exceptionally involved - but then they don't get much parental help - so pick up that slack. Most outstanding Bully issues need to be put squarely in Laveen Elementary District's (LED) and the district's voters laps. Student supplies and extra school staffing were drastically cut when LED budget overrides were voted no on a year ago. Lost by just a handful of votes. Adding to the resulting classroom crowding pressure is the lack of administrative continuity. LED assigns Desert Meadows and Mr. Pries a NEW vice principal EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Some were experienced, some raw VP trainees. They do their best but the kids and parent do not know them. It is a Vice Principals job to handle student discipline issues. Principals manage teachers and are spokesmen for the school community. Don't get me wrong its a good school - but it is not perfect. It could be great. I challenge each Meadows parent to volunteer in a classroom, the cafeteria or recess yard just 3 hours of time each year.

Desert Meadows Elementary School
6855 W. Meadows Loop East, Laveen, AZ  85339
Last modified Desert Meadows Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.