Laveen, AZ

Posted April 06, 2015
After moving from California to Arizona I was very nervous about school for my kindergartener. But I am very happy to say I love this school for my daughter she has learned so much and we all love her kindergarten teacher Ms Mell she is so sweet, smart and very approachable not just for her students but us patents as well.

Posted October 04, 2013
I have been here just about a year with my kids. I found the teachers to be very forthcoming and the administration easy to work with. Some of the kids are rowdy but that is to be expected with the age group. The staff works very hard! I love this school

Desert Meadows Elementary School 1

Posted March 11, 2013
This school has been a terrible experience for my kids. My two struggling children are not getting the help they need, and my other child is bored. The bully issues are rampant, the oversight of the teachers over the students is non-existent, and the principal is neither responsive or forthcoming. They claim there is a bully form that can be used, but how exactly does a piece of paper fix an obviously ongoing problem. The in-class behavior the students are allowed to get away with is terrible, and the teachers, no matter what they spout off, are just teaching the kids to one test or another and nothing else. Who cares about helping the kids think and learn when we can push them through the assembly line to make our AIMS scores higher so we look better. Nevermind the ongoing problems.

Posted August 14, 2012
I have a new student to Desert Meadows this year and can't believe how professional and polite the staff is. My son is in 7th grade and I am amazed by the dedication of his teachers to help him become acquainted with the school. He comes home each day with homework and is eager to do it! I am looking forward to a great year at Desert Meadows!

Desert Meadows Elementary School 4

Posted August 12, 2012
I had an excellent experience with my children the first week of school. There were lots of friendly people to assist me on the first day and my kids came home excited about their teachers. I even had a good experience working with the principal when I had a question about my youngest ones teacher.

Posted May 27, 2012
Sadly the Principal and VP have lost touch with the staff and the teachers at this point. Students now attack teachers but the staff doesn't want to deal with the parents so they do nothing. Sadly, this school was so promising, but now it's just a plain old school of sub par factors now. Glad we moved our kids out of here....

Desert Meadows Elementary School 3

Posted May 08, 2012
My son loved Meadows from k - 3rd grade ('07 - '12). His teachers were wonderful. Our family was very involved in the Parent Teacher Student Association. Meadows teachers are exceptionally involved - but then they don't get much parental help - so pick up that slack. Most outstanding Bully issues need to be put squarely in Laveen Elementary District's (LED) and the district's voters laps. Student supplies and extra school staffing were drastically cut when LED budget overrides were voted no on a year ago. Lost by just a handful of votes. Adding to the resulting classroom crowding pressure is the lack of administrative continuity. LED assigns Desert Meadows and Mr. Pries a NEW vice principal EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Some were experienced, some raw VP trainees. They do their best but the kids and parent do not know them. It is a Vice Principals job to handle student discipline issues. Principals manage teachers and are spokesmen for the school community. Don't get me wrong its a good school - but it is not perfect. It could be great. I challenge each Meadows parent to volunteer in a classroom, the cafeteria or recess yard just 3 hours of time each year.

Posted December 16, 2011
We are very glad that this is our daughter's last year at Desert Meadows. She has endured a lot of bullying while attending this school. The teachers have done little to stop it when we have complained and the principal does not return phone calls or emails but has someone else handle the problem, which is usually the assistant principal. It is amazing what you hear from other parents when you attend a sports event or any other program. There are a lot of parents who agree there is a bully problem, communication problem between teacher's and parents, and while the office staff is okay, the principal needs a stricter review of his performance. Bullying in any form should have a zero tolerance and teachers need to be sending students to the office, the office needs to be calling parents, and students need to be picked up and taken home if they are going to be continually disruptive and negative in classrooms. Some kids do want to learn even if they are not honors students.

Posted December 14, 2011
My son has attented this school for 2 years and it has been a nightmare with all of the bulling, he is more advanced than the other kids and he has been harrasased by the other students since he was in 2nd grade and the teachers. The principal tries to put a stop to it but only for a short period of time and then it goes right back to the bulling. This school has made my son not want to go to school.

Desert Meadows Elementary School 4

Posted October 06, 2011
This is my kids' second year at Desert Meadows, and it's been a good school for us. They are currently in 7th grade and 2nd grade. All the teachers they've had have been really good. Ms. Zachary in 2nd grade is great! My 7th grader is in the honors program and is doing really well. The office staff is just okay. Anytime I've tried to contact the principal via e-mail or phone, I get a response from someone else or, more often, no response at all. But other than that, I would recommend this school.

Desert Meadows Elementary School
6855 W. Meadows Loop East, Laveen, AZ  85339
Last modified Desert Meadows Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Meadows Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top