Riverbend Prep

Charter | K-6 | 325 students

Riverbend is best known for its caring, dedicated and knowledgable staff.

Living in Laveen

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $111,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Posted July 7, 2014

My school is..... Creative, the teachers are great. Caring, I think the principle really cares about each child. Challenging, The work the kids bring home signals they are being held to a high standard. My only qualm used to be that they seemed to charge for a lot of things like dress down days... but they seemed to ease up on that this year and use them more as a reward.

Posted June 7, 2014

worst school ever my child got bullied by children and the staff and nothing was done about it.

Posted April 28, 2014

As a first time parent I have been very impressed with the school of my daughter. My daughter is in Kindergarten and her teacher Mrs. Dorsey has been an excellent teacher. The front staff is always very friendly and they appear they like their job. If you have questions the front staff is always very nice and willing to help you out in anything. Teachers appear to like their job, and you are able to see them volunteer in extracurricular activities which they have several of : movie night, spring festival, fall festival etc. Despite that I have not have much verbal contact with the principal I see by his participation in activities that he is friendly and cares about his students. The recent activity we went to (spring festival) the principal was getting wet by every student that threw a ball at the duking machine he was in. I t was fun to see a principal, allow his students and parents to have fun with him. The festival was a lot of fun, and my husband and I despite we were tired from work, did not regret attending the event. Because Riverbend is a small school, teachers and staff are able to recognize my daughter by her name. It is an awesome school.

Posted March 8, 2014

I was sad to see a negative review because my experience at Riverbend has been excellent. I brought my three children here because I was unhappy with their previous school. It was a breath of fresh air walking into Riverbend. I agree that the office staff was very caring and pleasant. My experience with the teachers has been nothing but positive. You can tell they are teachers because they love what they do. They are always available to talk and all three of my kids are bringing home new things. I like that every grade seems to be doing similar things to improve their academics (Moby Max). Finally, the principal is very friendly and committed. He is always around (I have even seen him cleaning up the school when it needs it) and available but most of all, he knows my children. He takes the time to get to know everybody and is open to suggestions (even if I dont always get what I want). My experience with Riverbend has been very good and I would absolutely recommend the school. As with any big decision, I would suggest anyone looking for a school to come and check it out for yourself.

Posted March 8, 2014

I am so glad to be at Riverbend Prep. I have had 3 of my 4 children attend Riverbend Prep and have had nothing but success out of them. We love our school! The staff are very caring and concerned about all the students and they have a family feel to them. The teachers love their students and very compassionate to their needs. I love Riverbend Prep and am soo glad that we found this awesome school. If you are in need of a school for your child/ren this is the place to be. But I would do it soon because they are such a great school that they usually have waiting list early into the summer. Now is the time to look. Thanks Riverbend Prep staff! You ROCK !!!!

Posted March 7, 2014

This is school was a great school the office staff was very pleasant and it made me feel comfortable taking my children there. That lasted a good couple of weeks until my son started getting bullied and there was little done about it and also my daughter I believe was getting intimidated and failed to want to attend school. She often said the teacher would get mad and say he wasn't going to return to school. The class as she said had no discipline the children took over the class. The children acted barbareic like they had no sense and the teacher just overlooked it had no structure. I thought that taking my children there would be a blessing it was so close the classes were so much smaller. It was totally the opposite the classes were smaller but they were dirty cluttered and it looked like the kids just played all day. I would not recommend this school to anyone but some people don't mind and they get used to the environment but as for me I grew up in a school like that and didn't want my kids to have to grow being in a hostile environment.

Posted October 30, 2013

I have two children that attend Riverbend Prep and they LOVE going to school. They enjoy their teachers, principal and office assistants. Riverbend has a GREAT music teacher and PE coach which is hard to find at a public school now days. As a parent I feel confortable sending my children there and I know they are getting an excellent education. I really like that everyone at Riverbend makes the parents and kids feel like they are a part of an extended family. I believe the principal and teachers have my children's best interest in hand all the time and their ability to install values in the students in everyday activities is AWESOME! The only thing I would like to see more of are fieldtrips because Arizona has a lot of unique places to visit. Riverbend is a small but powerful school and I would recommend parents in the Laveen area to send their child/children to this wonderful school.

Posted October 30, 2013

This a great school, with a very nice family dynamic to it. Everyone is extremely helpful and is committed to the children's success.

Posted October 18, 2013

Riverbend Prep is a great school! The teacher's are great. My kids love going to school and I know it's because their teacher's really care about each student and works hard to create a safe and fun learning environment for the class. The principal is doing a great job as well. He has been working hard to make Riverbend Prep the best school in Laveen.

Posted October 17, 2013

I love love love Riverbend! My kids were recieving C's and D's at their other school and had no support to help with after school tutoring or help from teachers at all. We came to Riverbend Prep and my kids got help afterschool or even before school. I couldn't get other schools to help me with my son to get an IEP and within the first quarter it was done and in place. This school is the best ! Thank you Riverbend Prep Staff and Admin.

Posted October 17, 2013

This is an amazing school. My daughters love going to school now. The teachers and the principal are truly dedicated to the students. This is a perfect school for determined, hard working students. I am confident that my kids are receiving a top notch education and I am proud to say that my kids are attend Riverbend Prep. Thank you to the great teachers, principal, and staff for all your hard work.

Posted October 17, 2013

I am so pleased I chose to send my child to Riverbend Prep. The school campus truly feels like a community. We always feel welcome on campus. It is a safe environment for my child to learn in. The staff there are very friendly and dedicated. My son has difficulty with learning and he was excited about some of the learning he was doing inside the classroom. He especially loves their Paragon class. That is his favorite time of day. I would highly recommend Riverbend Prep to my friends, neighbors, or just anybody who is looking for a quality school to send their children to.

Posted August 26, 2013

Riverbend has done a most outstanding job creating a sense of community for the students, parents, and staff. I feel very comfortable knowing my kids are in a safe environment to learn without fear of violence or abuse. I am also extremely pleased that they have launched after school sports (running club for now). The school hours and bus make it very convenient for me as a working parent and communication with the teachers is seamless. Expectations are clear and my kids are learning some amazing new things. I recommend Riverbend for students/parents looking for a safe, fun, friendly, and focused learning environment.

Posted August 22, 2013

I love Riverbend prep. i did ALOT of research before i placed my son here last year. I needed to find a school that had all day kinder and had teachers that seemed to love what they do and have fun teaching our kids and making it fun for them to learn. before starting kinder my son didnt know how to write his name or even know the begining of knowing how to read he learnerd his name like the 2nd day of school and by the end of kinder he knew I mean really knew 200 sight words. my son is now a first grader and my daughter is now a kindergartener at riverbend and they love their school their teachers who make learning challeging but fun and they cant wait to do their homework each day. The staff at Riverbend is some of the Best that ive see they are always around and always nice and helpfull the principal is always walking the halls willing and waiting to help in anyway.. Riverbend makes sure to keep the parents up to date on everything and work with the parents to make sure that the kids have a good school experiance i would and will recomend this school to anyone and have already recomended it to both of my sister in laws who now have their kids in Riverbend as well

Posted February 16, 2013

I love this school. I love the new Principle and the changes he has made since the last year. Everyone there is very friendly and helpful in any way they can be. The teachers are amazing! And I love the fact that it is not a huge school and the classroom sizes are not over flowing, and they have tutoring after school as well. Love it!

Posted February 1, 2013

Best school ever! Amazing staff such a safe school! The teachers have great communication and I love how the principle mr hattrick has amazing communication with parents and students. He's always out and about with every student and always involve and not to mention the teachers are the sweetest and most caring as well! I'm so glad I brought my daughter here! They have helped her so much! After having a terrible experience with another school I'm so glad I chose this school!! Couldn't ask for a better school! Keeps kids busy and active! Definitely recommend!

Posted January 31, 2013

My son has been going to Riverbend since Kindergarten and he loves it. The teachers have been great. We did take him out at the begining of the 2012-2013 school year to attended another school but return. The other school did not have the same quality teachers that cared. We were never informed of how he was doing even when emailing the teacher serveral times. Mr. Hattrick has been great and the running club was awesome for the kids to get involved. The school has been running very well with him in charge. We have actually have recommended other parents to check the school out.

Posted January 30, 2013

Mr. HENDRICK AND MR. HATRICK ARE AWESOME.!! MOST caring assistant. And principal I've. Ever meet! My two boys teachers ( Ms. Ramos & Ms. LUSSON )are very patient, helpful. Teachers. They have worked hard to help them get a head and made suggestions s of tutoring. And clubs to keep them active and interested. In school. I love that therrare activities /afterschool sports! They keep in touch. W. Parents. And keep them involved! I am thankful. To find such a school!! Thank you and keep up the good work!! :)

Posted January 30, 2013

The teachers here are top notch. They not only care about the students academically, but personally. They are passionate about education and shaping the students to be the leaders of the future. The small class sizes allow for more personalized instruction and makes reaching each child an attainable goal. The school offers tutoring, extracurricular activities, and a before/ after school program. The principal provides clear direction for the staff and open communication with the parents. The school truly feels like a community and brings meaning to the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child."

Posted January 29, 2013

Have to say that my boys love to go to school everyday. both of their teachers are very concerned with how their students are doing.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Underperforming".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A47%
Female 42%N/A49%
Male 58%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Performing Plus Academic Program (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Technology

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Joseph Hattrick
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 285-5560

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Cafeteria
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Laveen Community Council

• None
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Foreign language and culture club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Ahwatukee Foothills Prep