Dreaming Summit Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 835 students

Posted today

Coming from a school back East, the adjustment to schools here in AZ took a while to get used to. Thankfully, DSE has managed to do good. The only reason that I don't give them 5 stars is based on the fact that they stick way to close to Common Core for my liking. The Traditional Academy at DSE offers an alternative, but with only one class per grade level, it's limited. I adore the teachers that we've had. They've always been on top of things, and very open to parental involvement in the classroom. I agree that the before/after school traffic and lack of organization in that area, leaves you feeling frustrated, but don't judge a school on traffic patterns. The teachers are what make a school and they are all fantastic at DSE!

Posted today

i have two girls; both have gone to dreaming summit since kindergarten...one is currently in middle school and the other is finishing up her last year at dse. certainly with having children at the school for the last 6+ years there are a few incidents i wasn't pleased with, but i would definitely not let them define my total experience with the school or the staff. i think overall the staff are truly concerned with the students and community. the school is very involved with the community and do SO many activities throughout the year. The curriculum is good and the teaching methods used have always kept my kids involved and very interested in their studies. I do wish i would see homework more frequently to have a better idea of the subject matter on a more frequent basis.

Posted July 19, 2013

The Dreaming Summit Team is very excited for the upcoming school year. Our teachers have been studying and learning all summer long in preparation of another fantastic school. It is an honor to serve such a fabulous school. Our students, parents and staff members are loving and caring. This makes our school very special. We can not wait to see all of our families at Open House will be on Aug. 2nd from 4-6pm. Believing in Greatness. Principal Gunning
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 17, 2013

Fantastic school with a huge amount of family evolvement! I cannot say enough wonderful things about DSE. The teachers go above and beyond to help each student. Mrs. Zuniga is a fantastic 2nd grade teacher, everyone hopes their child gets her but all the teachers are great. The principal Ms. Gunning is a strong leader and comes to almost all the family activities. Fantastic PTSA that helps fund the school in ways the district cannot afford to. Love, love, love this school!

Posted April 12, 2012

We have attended this school for the past 4 years and have had a wonderful experience. This last year my son has needed extra help because of ongoing illness and the teachers and administration have been so supportive and helpful. We have nothing but good things to say about Dreaming Summit!

Posted April 11, 2012

Dreaming Summit is an amazing school. My son transferred here after a terrible year/experience at Litchfield Elementary, and I couldn't be happier! My sons teacher is great. She keeps the lessons challenging for the kids, but still takes the time to work extra with those who need it. It's not just her, though, ALL of the teachers are extremely nice and welcoming. The school does a lot of fun events, and gives parents a lot of opportunities to meet other parents. The school is very organized too, always letting parents know about all events, homework, the kids progress, etc. I'm very happy here & highly recommend this school, and I expect a lot from schools.

Posted April 26, 2011

My daughter started at Dreaming Summit the year they opened and has moved on to Middle School. Her time at Dreaming Summit was amazing. The teachers were very caring and brought out her desire to learn. I also Have two sons currently attending Dreaming Summit and I must say, they too are receiving an excellent education by caring teachers that are gifted in motivation. I tell everyone that asks me about schools in Arizona, Dreaming Summit is best!

Posted October 25, 2010

My daughter is starting her second year at this school, and I have to say, this is definately one of the better schools and I am so happy we made the choice to send her here. My daughter was assigned to another school in another district and we currently have a variance for her to attend Dreaming Summit. She is doing great, learning a lot and truly enjoys going to school every day. There are lots of events for parents and families, I've always been able to reach her teachers with ease and everyone is friendly and keeps parents informed. Reading the reviews previously left, it is true, sometimes parking can be "busy" but I would not put so much of a focus on this when rating this school. Focus should not be on parking.

Posted August 3, 2010

This is the best school in Arizona, my son went to Crown Charter School and Heritage charter school both of them was not able to teach my son how to read or math Heritage even told me that my son would never be able to read, I enroll him in Dreaming summit my husband was not very happy because to him charter schools were better now he thanks me that I put him in this great school my son now reads very good and he is doing very good, he is happier and he can wait to go back before he used to ask me for one more day off school. I am very greatful to all the teachers that helped my son

Posted May 12, 2010

Keep up the good work Mrs. Vanica, you and your teachers are doing an awesome job! I love the email updates! I love the support of the community businesses, and have been dropping children off & picking them up for six school years. Never had a problem in the parking lot! For goodness sake parents! Really??? Pay attention to your childs education rather than worrying about valet parking! Tsk, tsk.

Posted May 9, 2010

As the principal of Dreaming Summit, I love reading all of the reviews. It tells me a lot about the community that I serve. I can appreciate your concerns about the parking lot but I think of the reviews said it best, it is about the quality of education and great teachers. If you are stuck on the parking lot then we are doing a great job inside! I love the community and kids. I have the best staff in the world. Dreaming Summit is a great school and our parents make it even better, Thanks for your continued support. KVanica

Posted March 7, 2010

This is my son's first year at Dreaming Summit, he likes the school but not his teacher. The principle sends out emails if you sign up, on all school events its a great way to stay connected in case your child does not give you school fliers. Over all the school is very supportive with a couple questionable teachers.

Posted August 28, 2009

I cannot say enough good things about this school!! I just transferred my daughter from another school near by that was horrible. My daughter was having severe anxiety at the other school she is just in kindergarten and its like night and day. They have been wonderful here the teachers are so great and I have to say everything is so organized and secure! I could not be happier....and as for the parking who cares if you have to walk farther or drive farther. Its the education and safety is what counts! Apparently the other person (bad review) hasn't really been to a BAD school yet. I give Dreaming Summit 5 stars!! Thank God for such a wonderful school!

Posted August 24, 2009

People who complain about the parking aren't putting the thought into this school. The school is about the children. You should focus on that and not your personal driving experiences. This is an excellent school and I have never seen my daughter so happy!!!

Posted August 19, 2009

heres another bad review for the dreaming summit elementary school i have 2 kids that go there it very crowded and unorganized u cant just drop your kids off in front of the school in the morning its to crowded u have to park way in the back and take a 5 minute walk around the school to get them to the playground then when u try to pick your kids up after school it takes u 10 minutes to find your kids cause there just every where no organization the parents there are very stuck up think there better than everyone else cause they have a lil bit of money and live in dreaming summit my wife is a teacher she said she would never teach at a school like that parents are ungrateful and im not to fond of the front office people they seem like they dont care

Posted May 28, 2009

My Daughter attends school here and loves it she started in kinder and will be in third grade this year and she loves it and I love that they want the parent involvment in the classrooms and the teachers are on top of there game on taking care of parent or students questions or concerns . I have great respect for the front office, maintence, lunch room ladies to the teachers and princapal. I have another to start in a few years also and i know she will love it too as she already is getting to know everyone.

Posted May 12, 2009

I attended this school in the 2005 school year. It was a bit over-crowded and my teacher let the student teacher teach more, but it was pretty decent. It had an okay music program, and the library was my haven. I moved from that school in 2005, so this review is based on my memory of my time in it's opening year.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 21, 2009

What a shame to read somebody has a bad review. DSE is an absolutely incredible school! My son has attended since opening day and will be finishing the 5th grade in May. He struggled in the beginning and now carries straight A's and has made honor roll for the 2nd qtr in a row! His teachers EVERY year have been so great, and I believe being involved in their education is imparative! I also must add he had only missed one day of school in 6 yrs and that was to attend his Uncle's funeral. Attendance is key to these kids staying on top of the learning. He loves school, his many friends, his teachers and even the school staff of workers. It is a great school and I look forward to all of my kids having a great education here. Another child starting in the fall 09! Yeah!!

Posted February 19, 2009

I hate it here. My kids are so behind. NOt getting no help.

Posted December 19, 2008

My daughter is new to this school. So far I must say the staff (from the front office to the teachers) have been absolutely wonderful. I can tell they truly care about the children. It was tough for my daughter as she had gone to the same school K-4 (currently in 5th) but her teachers have been so kind and understanding and have truly made the transition a pleasant one. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this school. Mrs. Phillips is her homeroom teacher and she is absolutely amazing! I hope my nephew gets her next year. My nephew is in 4th grade and is new to this school as well. His teachers have been very supportive as well. Go Bulldogs! I would like to personally thank the ENTIRE staff at Dreaming Summit, YOU ROCK!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

13335 West Missouri