Marana Middle School

Public | 7-8

Posted August 26, 2014

I can't say enough wonderful things about the leadership and staff at Marana Middle School. We had 2 children attend in previous years that have since entered High School. We now have a 7th grader at the school, The leadership at this school is so positive, encouraging, genuine and supportive, As a parent, I have never seen such an involved, hands on leadership team. In addition, the teachers are so involved and are top notch at communicating with the parents. I appreciate this on so many levels. Our oldest son was on an IEP at the school and we received nothing but support and patience from the principal Kristin Reidy. I love that our child could attend the Falcon Camp prior to beginning school and learn the in and outs of the transition in to middle school, without the stress of learning things the 1st day. I am looking forward to the 2014/2015 school year and have all the confidence it will be very successful.

Posted December 12, 2013

I have had 2 students go to Marana Middle School. They are great if your child does not have any disabilities. If your child does have disabilities. This has been the worst school for both of the children. I have had to pull both of them out of the school and find another school for them. Once I found another school, they were doing so much better. Marana Middle School teachers and administration was trying to say it was all my childs fault. They were bullied and no one did anything to help. They were made to feel belittled and helpless. All the hard work the elementary school did to help, went right out the window. I am so amazed how adults who say they care could treat these children so badly. I have been lied to by administrators, I do not believe any child that has a disability is safe there. Even our Doctor agrees. This has gone as far as the children getting hurt physically. No recomendation here.

Posted January 25, 2013

I will admit that I was nervous to have my son attend such a large middle school, but I am so grateful that we chose to have him attend Marana Middle School. We are on our second year, and the teachers, staff, coaches, and administration continue to impress me day after day. We had a concern arise recently. Within two days of sending an email, the principal called us in to meet with us with all the answers that we needed. The administration of this school truly cares about its students and staff and their success. MMS also runs the BEST after school programs in the area if not in the entire state. The 21st Century Grant provides my son with the opportunity to take photography and dissection classes after school. They want any student who would like to play a sport to be able to play. This year we had 8 boys basketball teams. They encourage a lifelong love of fitness. Due to a previous grant, the PE facilities resemble that of LA Fitness. My son chose to take PE again even when it wasn't required because he loves all the physical exercise that is available to him at MMS. My son has participated in the Enriched classes available both years. He loves MMS, and so do I.

Posted February 7, 2011

My son started this year in 8th grade. He has ADHD. I feel they did not meat his needs when communicating assignments, homework or the days work. As parents we witnessed a teacher's unacceptable behavior. Which cause my son to be unhappy there. Lack of communication regarding our son's progress (besides progress reports) We contacted the priciple but by the time all was resolved, my son's grades suffered. We transfered him and he is doing much better.

Posted August 12, 2010

I have just started my 8th grade year at Marana Middle School and I am proud to say that this will most likely be the best school year yet! I am in all enriched classes, Algebra 1, jazz band, and the gifted program. This school has the best staff and creative opportunities than any other school I have been to. I cannot wait for what the rest of the year holds, and I'm really excited to go to Marana High!

Posted September 16, 2009

It has a great rating, a great parents rating and the support of the Marana community who will pay for great schools.

Posted October 3, 2008

I am currently an 8th grade on Team Gecko. This school is one of the best schools that I have seen in this area. Yes there may be some scary kids around campus (lke one of the previous reviews had said) but as long as you teach your child right from wrong, then you wont have to worry. Since I am on Tea, Gecko, I would like say that i think that this is a great team, and i want to take a minute to talk about the teachers. Mrs. Crothers: awesome. she is the best teacher you could ever ask for, she is fun, and a great motivator. She organizes the Washington D.C. trip, and it may be expensive, but i would recommend it to anyone. i would try and get your child on that team. you would not regreat it. MMS is great!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 9, 2008

I have been pleasantly surprised with Marana Middle School. We were new to the area last year and I wasn't quite sure what to expect .My son had a very positive 7th grade experience and can't wait to go back next year. His teachers did a great job of communicating with me on a regular basis and challenging my son to do his best. We really like the principal, too. She is very down to earth, and easy to talk with. The students think very highly of her, which says a lot.

Posted March 30, 2008

Marana Middle School opens kids eyes to teach them about Pride Respect and Responsibility! I am a seventh grader on team Chupacabra also Known as Coatimundi!The teachers challenge the kids which is something we need as a students! I can proudly say I am a Falcon with pride and no shame at all!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 27, 2007

My oldest son is just finishing up his 8th grade at this school. We have had nothing but postive experiences with this school! His teachers and the programs are great!

Posted February 10, 2006

Recently moved from california and I see a big difference in the school here. They seem very laxed in their expectations of the student. They do seem to try to relate to students and make learning fun. I believe with more people moving into marana the school will be getting more attention. I have seen improvements on their AIMS tests. It is mediocre right now they call it performing. It will be great to see it excelling. I do think their are two mindsets that clash at this school small town(which it is no longer going to be) vs city mentality

Posted May 26, 2005

My daughter is a self-motivated student and her biggest complaint was the lack of accountability. Although she was in all advanced classes, many of her classmates didn't turn in assignments timely or at all, with little or no consequences. I met my daughters teachers, counselor and some administration, who all seemed to care about my child. The academics may be fine for an average student, but mine wasn't challenged. They did offer an 8th grade trip to D.C. which was well managed. There are some scary looking kids on campus, but they seem harmless & school safety doesn't seem to be an issue. All Arizona public schools suffer from the mediocrity bred by the standardized AZ test. The top students don't get challenged because the effort is on getting the lowest to pass the test. Grammer & creativity aren't priorities. This school is as good as any Tucson school, possibly better.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

519 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

519 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

509 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

506 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

503 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11279 West Grier Road