Public charter
Maricopa, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,058

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We believe that parents have a choice in the selection of the academic environment for their children. When a parent exercises that choice with Legacy Traditional School, they are choosing a safe structured accelerated program with high expectations. At Legacy Traditional School students benefit from a Legacy of Learning as they prepare for the world ahead.
December 12, 2011

Legacy Traditional School 4

Posted March 26, 2015
LTS is a great school and the Maricopa campus is beautiful. The curriculum is well-designed. I love Saxon Math. The homework assigned is a little too much, but they really cut back on that this year. The students are expected to behave, which is not too much to ask for. The teachers love their job and it shows. They really do care about the students, but they don't coddle them. We love the uniforms. It's not military-but it is strict. If you want to get the most from your children, consider Legacy.

Legacy Traditional School 4

Posted March 17, 2015
The curriculum is good. I love Saxon and Spalding. I love the school uniform idea too, but I wish they would not allow jeans. Jeans are too different in styles and colors and I see kids wear "skinny" jeans or jeans with holes and start bully other kids in uniform pants that they are not stylish.

Legacy Traditional School 5

Posted March 12, 2015
I love this school! It is an accelerated program but my daughter does really well in a structured environment even though she is not accelerated. The curriculum has not changed and is really successful. It is not a school for everyone but if you are looking for a great education this is the place to be. I am very impressed overall with this school.

Legacy Traditional School 3

Posted October 23, 2014
I am a seventh grade Junior High student of Legacy Maricopa. It is an overrall good school, the curriculum is fine, it's just a bit too advanced. My biggest concern are the Principal and VP. I have been at legacy since third grade. The good teachers all left, and the new ones don't care about the students at all. Bullying is another huge problem- I wasn't exactly in the popular crowd. And it wasn't just me, it was other students that were being bullied too. Some of the teachers won't do anything. And the so-called "popular" kids are just plain bullies, who take advantage of other students. It's not okay. Also, my gpa is 2.7. The teachers only teach right out of the book, with no real explanations. So if your kid is advanced, sure! This will be a perfect school! But if not, they'll most likely fail. And they only care about money. It's all about how many students and how much money they can make.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 01, 2014
I'll keep this short. I agree with a lot of the other negative reviewers about many things. My main issue with this school is that they are very militant about things. They are more concerned with making a point than they are about the actual students. I don't feel they care about the children and I'm looking for other options now for my child.
3 people found this helpful

Legacy Traditional School 2

Posted July 24, 2014
Some of the complaints are about high staff turnover. I was recently hired for the Gilbert campus and have been given the runaround by the district office. I applied for 2 positions, but I was hired for a third. They changed the hours for the job to a time when I am not available. Calls to human resources are not returned. It has been very difficult to get accurate information from anybody, and this is before the school year has even started. The administrators have been very unhelpful, so I am not surprised that staff members are leaving. I hope that we can resolve these issues, but I have been told that they are "trying to decide what to do with me." I have been an educator for almost 30 years, and I have never encountered the issues that I am experiencing with this school.
5 people found this helpful

Posted February 27, 2014
When they built the GILBERT Campus adding the Mozart and Athlos tracks we decided to give it a chance. When it comes to the classroom environment, its less traditional and more military. Kids get marked off if their feet aren't under their desk, hands folding quietly on top and complete silence is expected unless you are being asked a direct question. Teachers read straight from the books and do not differ or they get fired. Real life examples are not added, multimedia is not used ONLY the text book is used. Discussion is not encourage. The questions asked about the material are the questions on the test, nothing that makes the kids THINK why something in history may have happened or why people may have felt a certain way. Legacy doesn't build leaders, they turn the kids into followers afraid to voice an original thought out of fear of repercussions from authority. I attended a 'Student Led' conference today. My child and their classmates were told what to say and to make things sound positive. This school is a complete fraud. 3 more months and we are out of there and we will work on the damage that has been done to their love of learning.
9 people found this helpful

Posted February 25, 2014
If you want a school that asks for money for everything and demands volunteer time without appreciating your efforts, look no further. If you want your child to learn about acceptance and tolerance wrong school. If you want your child to learn that respect goes in one direction only, and by that respect those in power, this is the perfect school. If you want to see fake smiles, then spend time with the front office staff, principal, vice-p, and secretary.
7 people found this helpful

Legacy Traditional School 2

Posted February 12, 2014
The Gilbert Campus is very nice and new but don't let that be your reason to go to this school. Do your research and know what you are getting yourself (and your kids) into before enrolling your kids. If your children excel in math or other, they will have a hard time finding proper placement at this school for your child due to class time scheduling conflicts etc. We put our children in a different school where they can learn and excel and continue learning rather then review and repeat things they learned last year. Not a good experience.
4 people found this helpful

Legacy Traditional School 5

Posted November 29, 2013
I have read the reviews of other parents, and I can sympathize with some of them. This is my son's second year at Legacy, and we love it this year! The prior year he had many friends, enjoyed the curriculum, liked all teachers except his homeroom teacher. She was very rigid - so much so that we tried working with her to resolve some behavior problems, couldn't and had to involve the administration. The administration was very supportive, especially the Vice-Principal. At the end of the day, I strongly believe that the teacher was very young, inexperienced in dealing with children with ADHD, and was very black and white with her teaching approach. I could see that one day she'd be a good teacher, but in the meantime, she was really tough to work with. However, the curriculum was challenging enough to keep my son's attention, so we asked him to try it one more year. This year he has a teacher he absolutely adores - his favorite teacher yet! He's been on the Honor Roll and Principal's Pride (straight As). I haven't see any problems with bullying or racism or preferential treatment. We are Christians, and my son has friends who are LDS. No one is treated differently.

Legacy Traditional School
17760 N. Regent Dr., Maricopa, AZ  85138
Last modified Legacy Traditional School is a Charter school that serves grades K-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Legacy Traditional School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 100 reviews. Top