School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We believe that parents have a choice in the selection of the academic environment for their children. When a parent exercises that choice with Legacy Traditional School, they are choosing a safe structured accelerated program with high expectations. At Legacy Traditional School students benefit from a Legacy of Learning as they prepare for the world ahead.
December 12, 2011

Legacy Traditional School 2

Posted July 24, 2014
Some of the complaints are about high staff turnover. I was recently hired for the Gilbert campus and have been given the runaround by the district office. I applied for 2 positions, but I was hired for a third. They changed the hours for the job to a time when I am not available. Calls to human resources are not returned. It has been very difficult to get accurate information from anybody, and this is before the school year has even started. The administrators have been very unhelpful, so I am not surprised that staff members are leaving. I hope that we can resolve these issues, but I have been told that they are "trying to decide what to do with me." I have been an educator for almost 30 years, and I have never encountered the issues that I am experiencing with this school.

Posted February 27, 2014
When they built the GILBERT Campus adding the Mozart and Athlos tracks we decided to give it a chance. When it comes to the classroom environment, its less traditional and more military. Kids get marked off if their feet aren't under their desk, hands folding quietly on top and complete silence is expected unless you are being asked a direct question. Teachers read straight from the books and do not differ or they get fired. Real life examples are not added, multimedia is not used ONLY the text book is used. Discussion is not encourage. The questions asked about the material are the questions on the test, nothing that makes the kids THINK why something in history may have happened or why people may have felt a certain way. Legacy doesn't build leaders, they turn the kids into followers afraid to voice an original thought out of fear of repercussions from authority. I attended a 'Student Led' conference today. My child and their classmates were told what to say and to make things sound positive. This school is a complete fraud. 3 more months and we are out of there and we will work on the damage that has been done to their love of learning.

Posted February 25, 2014
If you want a school that asks for money for everything and demands volunteer time without appreciating your efforts, look no further. If you want your child to learn about acceptance and tolerance wrong school. If you want your child to learn that respect goes in one direction only, and by that respect those in power, this is the perfect school. If you want to see fake smiles, then spend time with the front office staff, principal, vice-p, and secretary.

Legacy Traditional School 2

Posted February 12, 2014
The Gilbert Campus is very nice and new but don't let that be your reason to go to this school. Do your research and know what you are getting yourself (and your kids) into before enrolling your kids. If your children excel in math or other, they will have a hard time finding proper placement at this school for your child due to class time scheduling conflicts etc. We put our children in a different school where they can learn and excel and continue learning rather then review and repeat things they learned last year. Not a good experience.

Legacy Traditional School 5

Posted November 29, 2013
I have read the reviews of other parents, and I can sympathize with some of them. This is my son's second year at Legacy, and we love it this year! The prior year he had many friends, enjoyed the curriculum, liked all teachers except his homeroom teacher. She was very rigid - so much so that we tried working with her to resolve some behavior problems, couldn't and had to involve the administration. The administration was very supportive, especially the Vice-Principal. At the end of the day, I strongly believe that the teacher was very young, inexperienced in dealing with children with ADHD, and was very black and white with her teaching approach. I could see that one day she'd be a good teacher, but in the meantime, she was really tough to work with. However, the curriculum was challenging enough to keep my son's attention, so we asked him to try it one more year. This year he has a teacher he absolutely adores - his favorite teacher yet! He's been on the Honor Roll and Principal's Pride (straight As). I haven't see any problems with bullying or racism or preferential treatment. We are Christians, and my son has friends who are LDS. No one is treated differently.

Posted October 11, 2013
Horrible school!! Teachers are bullies. They allow one kid to do something while the other gets in trouble. They threaten them with point and take them away every chance they get. The new Vice Principal is not ready for the position, she is on a crazy power trip and acts like she has no time for you. You never hear from anyone from the school unless your kid gets in trouble and its already to late. Being proactive is something they have obviously have no clue on. They are more concerned with how long a boys hair is and if his shirt is tucked in then helping them learn. They are more concerned with how they test then the child they are teaching. They teach them no real world experience and don't seem to care about the kids in general. Like said the teachers are bullies. I can't wait until this school year is over so I never have to deal with this school again. It's horrible, don't ever enroll your kids at this school you will regret it.

Posted September 25, 2013
I have recently removed my daughter from this campus where she has been since Kindergarten. I have been pleased with the academics and she has been on the Principal Pride list since Kinder. My wife volunteered 100+ hours each year and we were very devoted to that school. However, this year, came with personnel changes to the front office and one particular woman, the principal s secretary, had an issue with my wife, which after 3 different occasions, we interpreted as racism. During the exit interview, which we were told was to help them keep students from leaving, we were not asked to sit down by the Vice Principal, and we stood for the entire 30 minute meeting. Unprofessional, rude, and unacceptable. We are of Asian descent and moved here from California and have never experienced this type of treatment before. It is quite sad that some people have not progressed past the issue and still think that outward appearance is a reason to treat others differently. For closure, we contacted the HR dept and superintendent, in hopes that someone will care enough about the image of Legacy, so that others are not treated as we were.

Legacy Traditional School 3

Posted August 15, 2013
I agree with the reviewer regarding the handwriting. I think it is not helpful to tell your child they need to work on handwriting so early on when they are just learning to hold a pencil and write. I was told that my child (in Kindergarten) after the first progress report that she needed to work on her handwriting - it is a bit much. I tried to like this place too - because it's better than your average public, but it has seemed very dry to me. My daughter didn't have any type of art classes or real - in depth science classes for Kindergarten and 1st grade - it didn't satisfy her yearning to learn it. This school serves its basic function to do well on standardized testing - their main goal - with giving up on gaining knowledge, seeing and experiencing learning - (I've seen their books, materials what they produce, it's just not there) . It seems to be rushed with everything and overcrowded. Unless something extremely bad or good happens to the kid at school, the administrators probably don't know the kids by names or about their families - there's just too many kids. I think the key in this school is to hopefully get a teacher who is enthusiastic.

Legacy Traditional School 3

Posted August 06, 2013
I like the curriculum they cover and the majority of the take home tasks are pretty good. I want to like the pace, but this will differ for each kid. It could stymie their love of learning because it can be overwhelming for some. The atmosphere is safe, but stale. I'd love to see some numbers on how students do with independent study and creativity after leaving Legacy. I feel the atmosphere is more directed toward doing A, B, C rather than learning. Can't blame them though... I could imagine with so many students it is nearly impossible to teach without an excess of structure. Bottom line... this is my impression. Keep in mind variance from the teacher your child gets and the personality of your child makes up a considerable portion of overall variance, and this is just on average: If you want a responsible and well behaved child with a firm competency in completing academic objectives, then this is the school for you. If you want an independent child that has a passion for learning, creating, and challenging status quo, then this is not the school for you.

Posted June 19, 2013
Clearly some of these good reviews have been written with bias. If this school has a student struggling with handwriting in the first grade...first grade...then the school feels it's charter is being threatened.They claim to teach Spalding handwriting but they expect 5 and 6 year olds to already have perfect handwriting.the staff here does not have the patience to actually teach anything which is reflected in their attitude when they tell a 6year old they are not good enough to be at legacy. these people have set the charter bar to high and will bully your student, crushing their self esteem until you just pull your student out...if they do not already know how to do what they claim to "teach" To ensure their funding For their charter. Be prepared to teach your child yourself legacy is nothing more than daycare with a syllabus

Legacy Traditional School
17760 N. Regent Dr., Maricopa, AZ  85138
Last modified Legacy Traditional School is a Charter school that serves grades K-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Legacy Traditional School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 95 reviews.