PK-5 & Ungraded
Maricopa, AZ

Posted February 19, 2014
My husband was in the Army for 7 years, so my children have had their fair share of new schools. This school is hands down the worst school I have ever experienced in my life. They demonstrate corporal punishment toward the kids, and serve lunch detention on stage in the lunchroom in front of 1 or 2 entire classes! The 5th grade teacher Mrs. Saunders communicates very poorly, and her aloof attitude infuriates me. On my child's first day of school, he and his classmates were forced to write a letter describing how "bad" they were and the "teachers were sick of it" Mass punishment! My child is an honor student and has never given any teacher grief, yet he was punished more at this school than I can even wrap my mind around. Do not take your children there! However; the kindergarten teacher Mrs. Williams was a very nice lady and tried her best despite the challenges the school is facing as a whole.

Posted August 06, 2013
This school is horrible with the district is even worse.I have three kids enrolled at these schools in Maricopa not one of them like the schools here and that"s why we are moving.

Posted April 02, 2013
Over the course of a year, my baby (kinder) has learned to read! She's excited, and can read ENTIRE level 1 books. She loves it, and it makes me so proud and happy. I <3 this school.

Santa Cruz Elementary School 2

Posted October 29, 2012
I wrote a review for this school March 11, 2010 (if you are interested in reading my previous thoughts.) I have had children at this school through all the grades for about six years. The school has changed dramatically this year. More than 1/2 the teachers left at the end of the last school year (2011-12), all of them were a loss. Because of enrollment numbers some of the teachers were not replaced. Some were replaced with teachers just as competent as before, and a few were replaced with teachers that leave something to be desired (yelling and rude behaviors), which is sad, because the school had a phenomenal teaching staff last year. The principal proclaims he is there any time to help parents with concerns; he will talk to parents, but has no follow-through. I have consistently supported this school and this district, and will continue to do so, but will also oversee my children's teachers. There are enough good ones available to be a team, but I am hoping to see a change next year. (currently I have children in 1st, 3rd, and 5th grades at this school, and am somewhat familiar with all teachers.)

Posted January 25, 2012
We are new to Maricopa and have been very disappointed with Santa Cruz. There is so much teacher drama and they involve the kids. They give mass punishment out instead of punishing individuals... entire classes or grades get detention. The lunch time is ran like a detention center, kids are not allowed to talk and interact. The principal has a lack of enthusiasm and does not make effots to understand concerns, nor correct them. The teachers are overworked with having to be monitors and cross walk supervisors, which, in my opinion, takes away from the class interaction. Our 3 kids get A's and B's and have always enjoyed school until this year. I have spoken with the Superintendent once, and left 2 messages, my husband left 2 messages and never received a call back. Our kids have not enjoyed the school year thus far. The only positive thing about the school is how great the new music teacher is. We are moving to a charter school next year.

Posted October 13, 2010
Kindergarten has been challenging and fun for my 5 year old this year!

Santa Cruz Elementary School 4

Posted March 12, 2010
My son attends Santa Cruz and we couldn't be happier with our experience so far. The new Principal is a great addition to a passionate and talented staff. Academics have improved each year and I have no doubt they will be an Excelling school within the next few years. Go Coyotes!

Santa Cruz Elementary School 4

Posted March 11, 2010
My children have attended this school 3 years. I currently have 3 children at the school - 4th, 2nd, and K. We moved from an excelling school; I definitely had apprehensions about this school. However, I have found the staff to be caring, and willing to listen to my concerns. My son has autism and is mainstreamed. I have found this district to be easier to work with than the previous district. However, they do have less services available due to the struggles of being a relatively young district. The downfall to this school (not talking district, here, but school) is the lack of parent involvement. The education has been acceptable and my children continue to be above average when compared to the state averages.

Posted February 16, 2010
This is a great school. The teachers are wonderful and you can tell they have a passion for their job. My son has advanced so much already, I'm very pleased with this school.

Posted July 09, 2009
My son attended this school for only half the year. He was in the Autistic class and they couldn't even hold a teacher for longer then a week so the aids were running everything. They didn't follow his IEP and had the kids from his class sitting on the bus waiting to go home a half hour before school ended. The principal wasn't very helpful as she blamed everything on the district and you could never get a hold of anyone withing the district to fix anything. I'm glad I pulled by son out of that awful crazy enviroment he learned more with me homeschooling him then being there and had more stability.

Santa Cruz Elementary School
19845 No. Costa del Sol, Maricopa, AZ  85139
Last modified Santa Cruz Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Santa Cruz Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top