Montessori Education Centre Charter School - Mesa

Charter | K-6 | 240 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 30, 2013

I moved my child to this school after the public school tried to have him repeat. I know my child's capabilities and knew that a repeat was not necessary. The classroom in the public school was 28 kids to one teacher. My child did not have a chance to get the proper instruction or attention needed to succeed. We decided to get a tutor, change schools and not repeat. So far this year my child is doing just fine. Not one complaint about MEC, they are great. The teacher/kid ratio us much smaller and my child loves that he is able to interact with them on a personal level. My child is a typical 6 year old. I do get the note home from time to time about his performance. What I like about MEC is that the note is just to let me know. The teachers handle any situation that come up and then send a note to me so that I am aware. We are very involved with our child's education and can not say enough good things about MEC. This school is worth a visit.

Posted November 7, 2012

My child attended this school for 2 years. Towards the end of our second year our child was wrongly accused of being a bully by is teacher. The assistant director of the school agreed the situation was not handled in a professional or correct way. My child was never apologized to which we felt he deserved. Instead we, his parents, were reprimanded for being upset with the way he was treated. We put our trust in the teachers and staff that our child would be nurtured and protected and taught the "Montessori way" however we were very disappointed. We had a very difficult time finishing out the year and we were treated like we had done something wrong when all we were doing was protecting our child, as any parent would do. We were also told they would be holding him back this year. He is excelling at his new school and is in fact a much happier child and has gotten all A's and B's so far. We would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted December 14, 2011

My daughter attended this school for almost three years. And every year end we got reports that she was falling behind and needs more help. But they are not able to provide any assistance in school. Only get referred to web sites for help. I paid for my child to be tutored out of school and was told by the tutor that she did not have a problem at all but in fact was ahead. This school wanted her to repeat the third grade. So we finally just took her out and placed her in a public school. This Montessori School was quite disapointing. I do not recommend them.

Posted June 9, 2011

Terrible school. 4th grade teacher bullied and allowed other students to also bully children. The teacher only taught those that she liked and did not teach all students. Our child fell behind in studies because the teacher was deciding not to give lessons.

Posted May 6, 2010

This is our first year at this school and doing Montessori. My daughter is 5 and in kindergarten (Pre K-kinder class) She absolutley loves this school! She adores her teacher and has progressed so much. I love the opportunity to learn the Montessori way and have learned alot myself. I feel her teacher could communicate better with me but she is wonderful with all the kids. Very loving and caring. Its a small campus so extracurricular activites are limited but most everyone will know your child by name! We may not attend next yr because we are moving but its still a wonderful school.

Posted May 2, 2010

I love this school have been attached since my kids were 4 and now going in the 4th grade... they have been excellent especially with my son.. with memory problems,ADHD etc... they are always communicating with me and open to suggestions from this doctors/therapists.. and my children adore their school and teachers!

Posted December 27, 2009

My two oldest attended this school until we moved out of the area. We loved it!! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great elementary school.

Posted November 3, 2009

My two daughters started the Toddler Program this year and our family is extremely happy with the teachers, administration and, most importantly, our daughters are excited to go to school everyday! We have only been attending this school for a short amount of time but so far - so good! :)

Posted February 10, 2009

MEC is now American Montessori Society Accredited! This says it all -- the teachers and staff worked very diligently to achieve this great honor. The teachers are excellentant and they care about every student!

Posted March 28, 2008

My 3rd and 5th graders have been with MEC since kindergarten each. I love the Montessori method and the combination of social responsibility intertwined with academic instruction. Combining 1st -3rd years and 4th-6th allows each child to advance as far as they desire. There is somewhat of a difference between teacher commitment (and competency?) depending on which classroom you get into. This is true with any school I ve ever encountered, however. Both my children have benefited from attending MEC, and I m confident my wife and I made the right decision to send our kids here. The school acts as a true community should with the students and staff demonstrating they care for one another personally and academically. Overall, I am very satisfied with MEC.

Posted October 30, 2007

I believed in this school when I first enrolled my 6 year old child. I saw comfort in the cozy settings and individualized care. As the years have gone on, I have become sadly aware that this school's classrooms are sorely unequal. Some of the teachers are fabulous, giving their heart and soul into their children and their classrooms, others seem to lack the support and proper judgement to hold a classroom in control and even keep them grade appropriate in their lessons. I love the Montessori method, but until this school can create consistency between classrooms I would not recommend it for families.

Posted April 27, 2007

My daughter has attended MEC North for Pre-school and Kindergarten. She thrives in the smaller classroom environment and benefits from the individual attention she receives. She is doing very well and I do not believe that she would be doing as well in a Public School environment.

Posted May 8, 2006

Our daughter is entering her 3 year in the fall and has progressed very well with the help of all the dedicated staff at MEC. The have always kept us in the loop about her school activities, class room successes and challenges, you know they care! We know for a fact that this is where we want our child to learn and grow. The campus might be small, but it is mighty.

Posted February 9, 2006

This is an extremely small school, which severely limits extracurriculars.

Posted February 7, 2006

MEC has a great drama program and really tries to meet the needs of each individual child. The PE program works well for my 5th grade son. The teachers are well trained and respond when I have a question or a concern. The office is well staffed and helpful. Most importantly, the children come first at MEC, and the students are involved in the process of thier own education.

Posted November 14, 2005

Its an excellent school, no more said.

Posted October 19, 2005

My child has attended MEC since in kindergarten. He is well ahead of the other children in our area that attend the local public school. My son learns about art, music and pe every friday. he loves the educational field trips to the new art center in mesa and learning about the different cultures. I have never felt more comfortable with any teachers than the ones at MEC. I have never had any issues trying to meet with the teachers to discuss my son and his progress. The teaching staff at MEC is extremely dedicated, caring and honestly works to get the best out of each and every child. I would highly recommend

Posted October 6, 2005

The academics are great if you have a child that does well in school. If you have a child that needs to receive extra help via special education (IEP), do not go to any charter school. It is all about funding. This school works great for my other children. I really don't like the public school atmosphere, but it's what best for my child. When he no longer needs the extra help I will move him back to this school. They have an awsome drama program, but I wish they had after school sports and the opportuntity to play instruments without extra cost for private lessons. The school generally has a high level of parent involvement. It's a totaly different atmosphere.

Posted August 16, 2005

We are still new, but first impression is of a knowledgeable and very caring staff!

Posted June 24, 2005

Excellent preschool and kindergarten program. My daughter is so well prepared for first grade.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2834 East Southern Avenue