Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted May 27, 2016
My daughter has attended MEC from primary through 3rd grade. The teachers have been so top-notch that I would have camped out to get my child into this school if it had been necessary. I really appreciate and am impressed by the student to teacher ratio, which is about 1:10! There are two teachers indoors and one for outdoor environment. How rare is that? For 1st through 3rd grade, my daughter's classroom had two fully certified, veteran teachers, as well as one assistant who did outdoor environment and worked a lot with the 1st graders. Our 1st through 3rd grade class was taught by Ms. Hollie and Ms. Nadine, who must be two of the best teachers in the world. In 1st grade, the great storyteller, Ms. Nadine taught Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. The children not only knew all the characters and could say their difficult names, but knew which gods and goddesses were supporting which humans. Every day my child came home and would excitedly retell the next "chapter" of Homer's story. Then they performed a masterful musical, acting out the epic poems! Somehow, Ms. Hollie has made math fun enough for my daughter to think multiplication, angles, very long addition and subtraction problems can be games. My daughter has asked me to give her problems to solve or has drawn angles and shapes and challenged me to tell her what kind they are. I have volunteered weekly for three years in the classroom and I am thoroughly impressed by the way these teachers teach, speak to the children, handle situations that arise, and how they inspire a desire to learn more. My little girl and her classmates in 3rd grade have become amazingly proficient at writing beautifully structured 5 paragraph essays! Ask an English 101 teacher what percentage of his students could do this upon enrolling in college. The school has a wonderful, cohesive, peaceful feeling to it. I love being on campus. The caring office staff are helpful and efficient, and there's always the aroma of a fragrant candle. Even in car line, one is greeted by sweet faces opening the car door to welcome your child to a new, exciting day or return to you a little person whose world has been gently opened a little bit more by loving, wise teachers.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 27, 2016
I noticed both by observing and from my daughter's stories that the children were allowed to report bad behavior from other children, some would call this tattling. The teachers will actually listen to the child who usually feels she's been wronged or has observed another child doing something that he believes to be wrong. Then the teacher gives wisdom, correction, advice and sometimes needed discipline. During a parent/teacher conference, I mentioned that that must be time consuming and that I was surprised that the teachers don't do what so many adults do - just to say, "Don't tattle" or "Work it out yourself." They explained that during the 2nd Plane of Development, children 6 - 12 are very concerned with what is right and wrong. It's important that they don't get the impression that adults don't care about injustice. They need to learn that following rules are important for peace and safety. So the teachers take the time to listen and I like that! Those are teaching opportunities as well! It helps the little ones to develop into better people.

Posted May 27, 2016
Before choosing this school for kindergarten, I observed and was blown away by how quiet 3-5 year olds were while completely engaged in their work. One was painting at an easel, 3 were at a table learning to read, one was on the floor with wooden cursive letters putting them together to make words, one very small child was on the floor with a teacher building a tall pink tower. Two children came up to me, introduced themselves, shook my hand and offered me a snack. Needless to say, I enrolled my child! My little girl thrived in primary. I was thrilled with her new class (which wasn't the same one I had observed originally) and decided to observe twice in her kindergarten year, as did my husband, my mother and my adult daughter. We all concluded that we wished we had been Montessori children!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted December 31, 2015
The teach these skills and put emphasis on these values. They also have older kids assigned to teach and mentor younger kids and they get practice with caring and empathy every day.

Posted December 31, 2015
Love this school. My children have thrived here for several years. The teachers are engaged and have a good grasp on the progress of my children and my kids enjoy going to school and learning.

Posted January 30, 2013
I moved my child to this school after the public school tried to have him repeat. I know my child's capabilities and knew that a repeat was not necessary. The classroom in the public school was 28 kids to one teacher. My child did not have a chance to get the proper instruction or attention needed to succeed. We decided to get a tutor, change schools and not repeat. So far this year my child is doing just fine. Not one complaint about MEC, they are great. The teacher/kid ratio us much smaller and my child loves that he is able to interact with them on a personal level. My child is a typical 6 year old. I do get the note home from time to time about his performance. What I like about MEC is that the note is just to let me know. The teachers handle any situation that come up and then send a note to me so that I am aware. We are very involved with our child's education and can not say enough good things about MEC. This school is worth a visit.

Posted November 30, 2012
My children went to this school 2yrs, my youngest was bullied came home with scratches the teacher did nothing to address the situation, after many attempts I finally contacted the principle who also did nothing to address the situation. 1st grade students could not read was told not to worry just keep them back another year!! Poorly managed school principle cannnot retain teachers. Not all teachers are Montessori trained beware before enrolling students. At new school kids are excelling.

Posted November 07, 2012
My child attended this school for 2 years. Towards the end of our second year our child was wrongly accused of being a bully by is teacher. The assistant director of the school agreed the situation was not handled in a professional or correct way. My child was never apologized to which we felt he deserved. Instead we, his parents, were reprimanded for being upset with the way he was treated. We put our trust in the teachers and staff that our child would be nurtured and protected and taught the "Montessori way" however we were very disappointed. We had a very difficult time finishing out the year and we were treated like we had done something wrong when all we were doing was protecting our child, as any parent would do. We were also told they would be holding him back this year. He is excelling at his new school and is in fact a much happier child and has gotten all A's and B's so far. We would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted December 14, 2011
My daughter attended this school for almost three years. And every year end we got reports that she was falling behind and needs more help. But they are not able to provide any assistance in school. Only get referred to web sites for help. I paid for my child to be tutored out of school and was told by the tutor that she did not have a problem at all but in fact was ahead. This school wanted her to repeat the third grade. So we finally just took her out and placed her in a public school. This Montessori School was quite disapointing. I do not recommend them.

Posted June 09, 2011
Terrible school. 4th grade teacher bullied and allowed other students to also bully children. The teacher only taught those that she liked and did not teach all students. Our child fell behind in studies because the teacher was deciding not to give lessons.

2834 East Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ  85204
Last modified Montessori Education Centre Charter School - Mesa is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.